What LPs have you listened to recently?

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #40 on: 6 Oct 2003, 09:28 pm »
I really like Daniel Lanois as record producer, so I eBayed a copy of The Neville Bros. "Yellow Moon" (I've had the CD for some time). Fortunately, it was/is in great shape and trounces the CD in my setup (where admittedly much more $$ is devoted to analogue).  I was checking out a pair of Infinity Kappa speakers, trying to decide whether to eBay them or keep them, and the woofer surrounds succumbed to the subterranean bass that the LP puts out (just imagine if I had a real table like a Technics 1200!!!).

Now, if I could only find a vinyl copy of Lanois' second album "Beauty of Wynona" and an affordable copy of Emmylou Harris' "Wrecking Ball," my Lanois collection would be satisfied. Hopefully, Josh will have these on his "LP's-to-trade" list :D

BTW, if one only gets one White Stripes LP (at least to start), is "Elephant" a good place to start???  Saw them on Conan and liked the song I heard.

JoshK

« Reply #41 on: 6 Oct 2003, 10:22 pm »
Elephant is a great album and easily a good place to start.  Their music is relatively constant from album to album, but I like White Blood Cells and Elephant the best of the ones I have.  Elephant is suppose to be great on vinyl too and it is easily found still.

Tonto Yoder

mcrespo71

« Reply #43 on: 12 Oct 2003, 04:59 am »
^^You can get Elephant at Virgin Megastores for $13.99.  Not sure if you are close to one, but that's the best price I've seen^^  I agree with Josh- Elephant is a good place to start- slightly more bluesy than their other LP's.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #44 on: 12 Oct 2003, 05:15 am »
Quote from: mcrespo71
^^You can get Elephant at Virgin Megastores for $13.99.  Not sure if you are close to one, but that's the best price I've seen^^  I agree with Josh- Elephant is a good place to start- slightly more bluesy than their other LP's.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, no Virgins close by.
Wish new vinyl was available locally at reasonable prices like that!!

michael w

« Reply #45 on: 14 Oct 2003, 01:30 am »
Hi TY,

White Stripes were in NZ last week !

I've got copies of For The Beauty of Wynona and Wrecking Ball...

:D

Have you got other Lanois produced stuff like the Birdy ST ?
Dylan's Oh Mercy, his U2 stuff or Robbie Robertson's self titled solo debut ?

All great sounding albums.

cheerio !

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #46 on: 14 Oct 2003, 06:06 am »
michael,
I'm jealous about those Wynona & Wrecking Ball LP's.  Last "Ball" I saw went for $45 on eBay; it surprises me that someone doesn't do a high quality reissue of the disc.

I had forgotten that Lanois did the "Birdy" soundtrack--I'll have to start looking for it.   The Dylan & Robbie Robertson LP's find their way to my TT with some regularity.

Take care

BTW, there's an interesting Lanois 12" single of "Still Water" (from "Acadie")--just three tracks of the same song, one of which is live.
They chose to press this as a one-sided 12".

Tone Deaf

« Reply #47 on: 22 Oct 2003, 03:59 pm »
Hi to all,

this is my first ever post!  I've really enjoyed reading about what other people are listening to.

Records I'm unable to put away at the moment include:

Nick Cave & Bad Seeds - Boatman's call
Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man - Out of Season
John Martyn - Solid Air

I also have the White Stripes' Elephant & agree it's excellent & def their best record yet.  I'm finding new vinyl is a lot better quality the 80's stuff that makes up a big chunk of my collection.

In my car I've been listening to Detroit Cobras 7 simple songs EP, & I'm off to see if they have put anything out on LP right this minute.

Glyn

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #48 on: 1 Nov 2003, 12:36 pm »
Listened to Timbuk 3's "Greetings From..."  LP last night (the one with the donkey and TV strapped to its back). I've had this a long time and listen to it regularly (though infrequently)--each time I'm impressed with the sonics.  It featured the hit "Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades" and there are other tracks in a similar humorous vein.  The sonics are in the Stereo-Spectacular" school of Steely Dan's "Aja"--it's something a dealer might put on to show off his speakers or that a vinylphile might put on to impress his CD-lovin' friends. It's on the I.R.S. label.

BikeWNC

« Reply #49 on: 5 Nov 2003, 12:38 am »
Whenever I think that my system is sounding pretty good with my digital setup, I'm snapped back to reality when I turn on the old TT.   My old Marantz 6300 with a meager Grado Gold cartridge just makes music.  I will have to upgrade someday to a better analog front end, but for now I'm sitting back drinking a beer enjoying Jackson Brown - The Pretender.

BikeWNC

« Reply #50 on: 5 Nov 2003, 01:08 am »
OK, this is shaping up to be a late night.  I just realized I haven't listened to the TT since adding the Dodd tube amp to the rig.  Vinyl and tube phonostage and tube amp.  Wow!

Wheezer

« Reply #51 on: 26 Dec 2003, 03:30 am »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
Listened to Timbuk 3's "Greetings From..."  LP last night.

Lordy, I had almost forgotten that entry in the missing-albums file.  Was this issued after I.R.S. went to flimsy vinyl?  My REM "Murmur" is sturdy, and I recall that Stewart Copeland's "The Percussionist" (also missing) was OK, but things seem to have headed south at some point.  Anyway,

Tarkio -- Brewer & Shipley

orthobiz

TT back in service!
« Reply #52 on: 18 Feb 2004, 04:17 am »
After 14 years,
listened to stuff not easily found on CD or stuff I simply refuse to buy!

Annie Haslam: Annie in Wonderland (I'm a Roy Wood freak)
Richard Lloyd: Alchemy (surprisingly good pop record), plus I found Field of Fire in the same outer plastic sleeve: I've never listened to it, nor did I even know I had it.
Paul Clinch with Choya.
I have hundreds to sift through and I am already overjoyed at how well I took care of them back in the 70's.

biz

PeteG

« Reply #53 on: 18 Feb 2004, 04:56 am »
Here's a sleeper for you guys (or maybe not), picked this up at a little vinyl shop by me.

Linda Ronstadt/Nelson Riddle Orchestra: "What's New"
Very well recorded LP, a jazz sound with great vocals and a good orchestra.

When I first heard it I couldn't believe it was Ronstadt, so I bought it and  than the record really grew on me. If you can find one pick it up.
I also seen it on DVD-Audio and some how it ended up in my bag :)

mcrespo71

« Reply #54 on: 18 Feb 2004, 10:00 pm »
I've been listening to the Flaming Lips Yoshimi IMPORT from Japan on RED VINYL BABY! 8)

JoshK

« Reply #55 on: 18 Feb 2004, 10:04 pm »
Jerry Rapherty - City to City
Radiohead - OK Computer
Men at Work - ?forget?

Dan Driscoll

« Reply #56 on: 23 Feb 2004, 04:46 pm »
I've been off work for the past week, so I did quite a bit of listening, including some vinyl I hadn't heard for a while.

Kansas - 2 For The Show {Live}
Toto - Hydra
Sonny Rollins  - Saxaphone Colossus
Doors - Best Of The Doors
Yes - Tomato
Tears for Fears - Songs From The Big Chair
Elton John - Madman Across The Water
Supertramp - Breakfast In America

My wife and I also listened to some classical, although I generally don't remember the specific conductor or orchestra. One I do remember is Leonard Bernstein's version of Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, which is simply superb.  :)

Mark B. James

Ubiquity label - Johnny Blas: "King Conga"
« Reply #57 on: 24 Feb 2004, 12:19 am »
My fiancee  bought me a bunch of new vinyl for Christmas, including some latin/conga stuff and some decent downbeat electronica.  Been listening a lot to "King Conga" by Johnny Blas on the Ubiquity lable.

Great clean conga/latin music.  Excellent recording quality and a captivating performance.

My fiancee's brother is a professional bass/tuba/euphonium/trombone player and listened to this about 4 times in a row when he came to visit last.

http://www.ubiquityrecords.com/cb022.html

I also have Cuica's "City to City" - which is downtempo electronica, and some Greyboy.  So far, I'm really happy with the discovery of this label.  We also went out the other night and heard John Beltran spin at a local club and were pretty impressed.  He's on ubiquity as well. Thought I'd pass along the find.

John Bauder

« Reply #58 on: 26 Feb 2004, 04:21 pm »
So far this morning:

Billy Joel, Glass Houses
Jerry Jeff Walker, Great Gonzos
Wilson Pickett, The Best of Wilson Pickett

sssand2

« Reply #59 on: 6 Apr 2004, 08:57 pm »
I'm new to this forum but since I have my Dual CS-506 and (recently added) Dual CS-606 set up, I've listened to the following:
Steely Dan - Aja
Elton John - Madman Across the Water and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Mannheim Steamroller - Fresh Aire and Fresh Aire II
The Guess Who - Greatest Hits
Blood Sweat and Tears - Greatest Hits
Three Dog Night - Greatest Hits
Chuck Mangione - Live at the Hollywood Bowl
ABBA - The Album