Intro and BMR Philharmonics Speaker Build

LDO6295

Intro and BMR Philharmonics Speaker Build
« on: 13 Feb 2024, 05:32 pm »
Hello, everyone!

New to this forum and new to DIY audio. Here's my background as requested along with notes from my latest project. Hope it's not too boring...

Former Navy Electronics Technician. After gaining a commission and "enjoying" three all-expense-paid trips to the Middle East, I retired with 29 years. Now I've caught the DIY bug. I've put together a couple of preamp kits and pieced together amplifiers with Hypex and ICEPower modules. My first speaker build was the classic Overnight Sensations from Paul Carmody. I'm hopelessly addicted now.

For my latest trick, I just finished Dennis Murphy's BMR Philharmonic monitors. They are awesome. I am hearing details I've never heard before in my favorite tracks. I have them hooked up to a pair of Hypex monoblocks using an Eversolo DMP-A6 streamer as the pre-amp for convenience. Working on a better preamp from AMB Laboratories (Alpha 10) and a tube-based Lampucera DAC for fun.

I've attached some photos of the BMR build in case anyone's interested. I have some rudimentary woodworking skills and I think they came out pretty nice. The sound is amazing.

Phil A

Re: Intro and BMR Philharmonics Speaker Build
« Reply #1 on: 13 Feb 2024, 08:14 pm »
Welcome!  Congrats and nice work too.

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2024, 08:20 pm »
Awesome!! We love build pics.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2024, 09:07 pm »
Oh cool!. I've considered building a pair of these but was under the impression the DIY version went away with the demise of Meniscus...no?

BTW, I appreciate your trips to the Middle East and the humor you present it with!

AllanS

« Reply #4 on: 13 Feb 2024, 11:06 pm »
Welcome aboard!  I only did 4 years but spent a fair amount of that time cruising the E Med.

Looks like you have a great space to indulge your new found DIY passion.  I have a pair of the original BMRs.  They were my first pair of quality speakers and likely the last to go if I ever thin the herd.

Boring?  This is the kind of stuff that keeps this place on the edge of the seats!

artur9

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2024, 02:15 am »
Those look great!  Maybe I should have gotten a pair from you instead of Dennis :-)

What type of finish did you end up using?

maty

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2024, 07:45 am »
Great work!

What DIY amplifiers are they? They seems the old Hypex UcD700HG HxR 1x700W.

maty

« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2024, 07:50 am »
Edit the images and add at the link: &size=huge

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2024, 11:00 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC   :thumb:  Nice work.  8)

snaimpally

« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2024, 01:28 am »
Welcome. I own a pair of the BMR Monitors. They are amazing speakers.