Pointy Guitars

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Pointy Guitars
« on: 9 Jun 2020, 11:42 pm »
It's been quite some time since I bought any new guitars and this corn-o-virus thing found me with some spare time on my hands which is always a dangerous thing.
Joining the stable are a few good ones: a 2007 Gibson Guitar Of The Week Explorer which has 57 Classic pick ups, a short vibrola, an ebony fret board and gold plated everything. 
I had one of these many years ago and had to sell it during the Great Recession so I'm real happy to have another one back under my roof.
Each week they would do a new model, limited to 400 units so it's fairly rare.  It plays and sounds great, too.
The only downside of this guitar is the lower bout is so long you have to be very careful when you turn around as there's an awful lot of it sticking out behind you.  After one BONK! I now put my hand on it so I know where the guitar ends.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Pointy Guitars
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2020, 11:50 pm »
Johnny Winter.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 9 Jun 2020, 11:50 pm »
Then I couldn't stand it and had to buy a 2019 Gibson Flying V.
This has a rosewood fret board, Burstbucker pick ups, has a really comfortable neck and is just a beauty.
Aside from a guitar strap, which is mandatory, when you're sitting down you have to hold it like a classical guitar with the right hand wing over your leg. 
The guitar itself is several shades darker than these photos show, I got lazy and just used the seller's pics.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2020, 11:54 pm »
Finally, my first Gibson electric was purchased when I was a kid back in 1976 and it was a red SG Standard. 
That guitar is long gone but is still floating around this area, I saw it for sale a few years back.
I've had a few SGs since that one but never had a 61 Reissue so now I do.
Really handsome, light, sounds good but the neck is really thin so I'm not so sure if I'll keep this one around for very long or not. 
I have big hands so like something with a bit of heft to it.
It's really hard to find an SG  that just feels right as they were always screwing around with the neck profile and fret heights.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2020, 11:56 pm »
I don't know if Johnny Winter ever played an Explorer but he really could play a Firebird.
Here's mine doing double duty as a hat rack.

dalton

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2020, 08:48 pm »
Explorer, Explorer, Explorer.... I am not a fan of Pointy guitars and i prefer my guitars a;; curved like LPs, Strats, Teles, I dont even Like Ibby RGs.. or any thing pointy... But I think the Explorer is a ver very cool design.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2020, 09:17 pm »
The Firebird inverted body have a classic shape.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2020, 01:07 am »
Fender threatened to sue them over that one. 
I tried an old one a few years back and it was actually really comfortable.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2020, 01:18 am »

Fender threatened based on what model ?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2020, 10:26 am »
I think it was the Jazzmaster.
Now it turns out that Gibson may have just been full of hot air:
https://reverb.com/news/the-true-stories-behind-6-famous-gear-lawsuits

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2020, 10:27 pm »
This is interesting though I dont see copy, maybe it was to call attention from the press.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2020, 11:13 pm »
This one here is the last pointy (kinda) guitar I expect to ever be buying, a 2005 Firebird VII.

I stupidly sold my 2006 Firebird VII to help fund my Magnepan 3.7s and I've been kicking myself ever since.

I chased this one all over the country (Indiana to Colorado to California to NJ) before I could finally have the money available and have this particular guitar pop up for sale at the same time.
It won't be going up for sale as long as I'm above ground.