2 Chassis Bugle1/Powersupply Build

contium

2 Chassis Bugle1/Powersupply Build
« on: 10 Mar 2013, 05:59 pm »
With all the excitement over the new Bugle2 (congratulations Jim!), I thought I would share my Bugle1 build I just finished. The Bugle2 certainly would have been easier and probably cheaper but I like the way the project turned out and it probably looks a little better in my rack ;)  I have always used the phono section of a preamp, but then I picked up a Manley Jumbo Shrimp which is line level only. Started out with a Belari VP-29. Meh, did the job but that's about it. Then I tried the phono section of an old Kenwood Basic C-2 preamp I had laying around which was a step up but still left me wanting. That's where the Bugle1 came in and so far, it is a substantial improvement. Eventually, the plan is for a tube phono preamp. Maybe a Hagerman Cornet2 or Manley Chinook. I think I will be happy with the Bugle1 until that day comes.

hagtech

Re: 2 Chassis Bugle1/Powersupply Build
« Reply #1 on: 11 Mar 2013, 03:28 am »
The BUGLE looks great!  Where did you get the boxes?  The only problem is that those blue LEDs will eventually drive you insane...

jh

poty

« Reply #2 on: 11 Mar 2013, 03:26 pm »
The boxes are really nice.
I'd rotate the Bugle PCB to make the wires from the input as short as possible. This also allows to make all "signal" wires on one side and power wires on another and eliminates near parallel layout of power wires and the output wires.
The blue LEDs are definitely simething that should be dimmed.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 11 Mar 2013, 03:49 pm »
The BUGLE looks great!  Where did you get the boxes?  The only problem is that those blue LEDs will eventually drive you insane...

jh
I don't know about the above but I'm sure George can help you.

See these: http://www.gkphotonics.com/gk8.html

contium

« Reply #4 on: 11 Mar 2013, 04:40 pm »

jh

Bought the cases on ebay. Seller fan_computer. The blue LEDs aren't anywhere near that bright in person. The room is dim and I didn't use a flash. That said, I don't like blue LEDs, I prefer red. But I have another triple wide rack loaded with gear with blue LEDs which seems to be the trend so I did it to match.

The boxes are really nice.
I'd rotate the Bugle PCB to make the wires from the input as short as possible. This also allows to make all "signal" wires on one side and power wires on another and eliminates near parallel layout of power wires and the output wires.
The blue LEDs are definitely simething that should be dimmed.

Rotating the Bugle PCB would certainly be easy. I'll give that some consideration. Thanks for the input!

WireNut

« Reply #5 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:56 am »
Awesome, I love it.  :thumb:
Is the PS offered by Hagerman also  :?:

contium

« Reply #6 on: 12 Mar 2013, 04:31 pm »
Awesome, I love it.  :thumb:
Is the PS offered by Hagerman also  :?:

Yes, it's the Hagerman "PowerSupply". Can find it half way down the Bugle page. http://www.hagtech.com/bugle.html

sushimaster

« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2013, 07:14 pm »
I love it. Very nice!

Steve Mannix

« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2013, 08:55 pm »
contium, can you give some details about how you wired the jacks for the PS/Bugle umbilical? Are they standard XLR jacks? What about the cable?

Thanks for any info.

Andy

contium

« Reply #9 on: 26 Mar 2013, 11:01 pm »
They are 5 pin XLR's. Jacks and connectors from ebay. Made the cables myself from my local surplus electronics store. Nothing fancy.

Pin 1: +15v (TP1)
Pin 2: gnd (TP5)
Pin 3: chassis ground which was connected to the ground points on each box.
Pin 4: gnd (TP7)
Pin 5: -15v (TP10)

Sonny

« Reply #10 on: 26 Mar 2013, 11:30 pm »
I like the blue lights!

Here's my Bugle, but only the PS...
The other box is the Joe Curcio (National Semi-Conductor) phono pre...

Steve Mannix

« Reply #11 on: 26 Mar 2013, 11:53 pm »
They are 5 pin XLR's. Jacks and connectors from ebay. Made the cables myself from my local surplus electronics store. Nothing fancy.

Pin 1: +15v (TP1)
Pin 2: gnd (TP5)
Pin 3: chassis ground which was connected to the ground points on each box.
Pin 4: gnd (TP7)
Pin 5: -15v (TP10)

This is awesome! Thanks so much. I don't think I mentioned the first time, love your build. Looks great!