SOLD

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
SOLD
« on: 10 Aug 2016, 04:56 pm »
Selling my Lowther Tiny Open Baffle Alnico (TOA) speakers.  These were designed by Jon Ver Halen when he ran Lowther America.   I heard them at VSAC 2008 and I and several writers felt they were the best speakers at that show.  I finally built these in 2012.
I am selling these as a kit because no one ever wants to drive to Shreveport, Louisiana to pick up speakers I have built and they are too large for me to ship.  I have the boxes the drivers came in and can ship you the drivers and completed crossovers along with plans for the baffles   No soldering is needed.   They present a 16 Ohm load which is ideal for most tube amps.  Efficiency is around 96 dB.  The Lowther 16 Ohm PM6A drivers were bought from Lowther America – Jon reconed them with the silver voicecoils so they were identical to the ones I heard at the show.  The Tone Tubby Red drivers are 16 ohm and add a nice warm fill in from 75 – 200 HZ.  The Lowthers take it from 190 Hz up.  These will still need a sub for deep bass.  Crossover includes Auricap 50 Ohm 200V bypassed by 2.7 Ohm V-CAP 250V OIMP and .1 Ohm  V-CAP 600V CUTF.  The inductor is a steel laminate  “Sledgehammer” 12.0 mH 15 AWG inductor from Madisound. Connectors need no soldering to attach to speakers.   Crossover cost was abt $600.  Cardas binding posts.  Wiring is from GR Research.  In the pictures the black cabinet is their current form, with the top designed with input from Danny Richie thru this forum.  They image spectacularly.  The baffles for both can be made from 1 sheet of ¾ inch plywood or MDF.  You glue 2 pieces together for a thickness of 1.5”. The plans on the Lowther site show tapering the baffle to the sides but I left them 1.5” across the entire width - I have no idea how one would taper these.  The picture of the 2 in blond baffles is Jon's original design - from the Lowther room at an audio show.   Total cost to build these was a bit over $2300.  I will sell these for $1000 plus any shipping costs.  If they don't sell in a week or so, I am going to cancel the ad and list them on Ebay where I think I will get more than my asking price here.  The guitar boys love the Tone Tubbies.    I am a long time audiophile and would prefer to sell them to someone who will appreciate them.   Please contact me with any questions.  318-734-4655  glynnwilson@comcast.net

Here is link to Lowther page concerning these:

http://www.lowther-america.com/Cabinets/Open_Baffle_Speakers/Tiny_Alnico_Open_Baffle/

« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2016, 05:49 pm by glynnw »