Bypass capacitor values

Don_S

Bypass capacitor values
« on: 20 May 2020, 08:37 pm »
I have looked online and found all the information too confusing. It was written in engineer instead of English.  :scratch:

How is a bypass capacitor value determined? In my case the main cap is 33uF. Yes, that is somewhat large and typed correctly. I am looking at some bypass caps with values ranging from 0.033-0.47uF. I realize bypass caps can be used in a range but what is optimum? How is the music changed when different (lower vs higher) value caps are used?

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: Bypass capacitor values
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2020, 01:27 pm »
That's because it's all about engineering. There are engineering reasons for choosing different capacitor values (and different capacitor types) for different circuit locations. Hopefully the circuit designer has the skill to chose the optimum value for each location.

Texbychoice

Re: Bypass capacitor values
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2020, 04:44 pm »
Ran into the same thing myself, and I am an Engineer.  I recently replaced Bennic caps in my speaker crossovers with Dayton Audio Caps.  This was first experiment so decided to not go crazy with expensive caps.  The crossover had small film caps in parallel with all the Bennic caps.  Approximately 10% of the Bennic value.  Replacing only the Bennic caps made a noticeable improvement.  Further research led to a recommendation to use 0.01uF, 3000VDC poly caps from CDE as bypasses.  Pulled all the small bypass caps and installed the 0.01uF.  Clarity, resolution and smoothness now wonderful.  Hearing detail in familiar tracks that was not discernible previously.  Well recorded and mastered live performances simply put the artist in the room.  Experiment and listen.