looking for a grill up to $1000

Marbles

« on: 20 Apr 2004, 02:13 am »
I like the Makers Mark ones at Sam's Club.  I have also seen the Jenn-Air ones at Lowes.

Any others I should put on my short list?

Thanks

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: looking for a grill up to $1000
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2004, 02:24 am »
the best grille i ever saw at lowes was a barrel-shaped thing (barrel on its side.)  only costs ~$119, but it's a *charcoal* grille, not gas.  if you ever did a cook-out w/ *REAL* charcoal, (not those processed briquets), ya woodn't bother w/a gas grille - the taste difference more than makes up for the nominal add'l hassle.

ymmv,

doug s.

Quote from: Marbles
I like the Makers Mark ones at Sam's Club.  I have also seen the Jenn-Air ones at Lowes.

Any others I should put on my short list?

Thanks

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2004, 02:41 am »
The nicest one I've even seen is one Sam's used to carry, but I haven't seen it there for awhile.  It had the same ceramic brick in the bottom that the current ones use, but the grate sections featured metal rods that turn freely.  This is really nice for cleaning- you run a wire brush 'up and down', the side to side to rotate the rods so you can clean the other surfaces.  That's the way most commercial equipment that I've preferred worked.

A side burner is really nice to have, whether for preparing side dishes or for cooking sauces.  Stainless steel is a big plus for long term maintainance.

I really like the large ceramic brick heat diffusors vs various brickettes/lava rocks.  The last longer and heat more evenly.  Metal diffusors also work pretty well, and shouldn't burn out in a lifetime of home use.

I'm assuming you mean a gas grill- sure, charcoal is fun and produces good results, but I'm a "gas man"!  :lol:   Working for years as a professional chef instilled a sense of practicallity in me about gas.  The heat is instant & reliable, and you get rid of most problems with consistency.  That might not be an issue to the 'weekend warrior' but it's paramount to a pro.  That attitude has stayed with me.  I use a smoker box of cast iron to get back some of that flavor while retaining the convenience and consistency of gas.  You just fill it up with some wood chips that have been soaked in water for awhile; one nice thing with this is that you can choose different woods for different meats.

Marbles

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2004, 02:45 am »
Thanks Doug...I have a neighbor that has a Kamado #9 (kamado.com) and these are supposed to be the best in the world.  His looks like a freaking space ship..really cool.  He has a remote sensor that let's him know if the meat temperature gets too low or to high.  The receiver is like a radio and it beeps him with what the problem is..very cool.

This runs on Natural gas or lump charcoal with flavor shavings.  Very impressive, but I am more towards ease of use and less carcinagens.

I agree with you on the taste though..charcoal is the way to go.

bubba966

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2004, 03:06 am »
The one that Costco carries under it's Kirkland Signature brand is made by Ducane. So what you get there for about $1K would cost at least twice that if it had the Ducane badge on it.

I've not dealt with Ducane's much personally. But all I hear about them is good stuff...

Carlman

« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2004, 03:09 am »
This was a tough call.  I ended up with this grill.
I've been quite pleased with it overall.  There's a couple of things that are weird... the cover has a zipper that's hard to zip and the ignitor button is susceptible to water... so, I put some silicon sealant around it and solved that problem.  The handle gets hot near the sides where the cast iron is... and a couple of rubber grommets wore out after a year.  However, those few warranty replacements were easy and quick.  

It has simple, easy to clean parts and has a fairly even heating surface.  Cooks from 350* to 700* without complaint....

I can't complain.  It's really nice.

I've owned and recommended Ducane in the past and I prefer this one.  I especially like the side burner.  It stays covered until you want to use it.  The cover is a sturdy shelf whether it's over the burner or not.

I didn't mean to ramble on and on... I just realized how much I like it. ;)

-Carl

PhilNYC

« Reply #6 on: 20 Apr 2004, 03:53 am »
Carl...did you compare it to the Weber grills?  I'm in the market for one, and all the people I know are recommending the Weber Genesis Gold grills...

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 20 Apr 2004, 03:59 am »
That's not a grill, that's a barbie :|

A fancy one, to be sure :lol:

bubba966

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2004, 04:21 am »
Here's the selection at Costco, should you decide to give any of them a good look see...

MaxCast

« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2004, 11:17 am »
While I agree coal/wood is the best tasting, it can't compete with ease of use.  Especially during the week when you get home from work and only have to turn a few knobs.

Two things I recommed for your grill:
1)  Consider natural gas plumed from the house.  It would be stationary but you never have to worry about running out of propane.

2)  If your grill doesn't come with a rotiserie...get one.  We had a pork loin last night cooked on a rotiserie with a pan of water & stuff under it.  Put on a secreat sauce right at the end.....Mmmmmmm!  Perfectly cooked an all sides.

Carlman

« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2004, 01:05 pm »
Quote from: PhilNYC
Carl...did you compare it to the Weber grills?  I'm in the market for one, and all the people I know are recommending the Weber Genesis Gold grills...

I could only compare the looks but I thought the Weber's Gen gold was exceptional.  Maybe a bit pricey for what you were getting... but again, I haven't used one.  So, they may be get more right than what I bought for a couple hundred less.

I also agree a rotis is a great thing to have.  I had it on a Ducane at one point and used it once a week.  I used beer and butter in the pan under 2-4 chickens covered in mustard-based barbecue sauce.  By the time it was done the bones were practically falling out of the meat as it spun.  Very good investment and suggestion!

Some grills make it easy to have a rotis and others don't.  So, if it's important make sure it's easy to deal with it.

-Carl

PhilNYC

« Reply #11 on: 20 Apr 2004, 02:34 pm »
Thanks Carl...I've looked a little more into the Weber grills, and it does seem like the differences between the Gold and Silver lines aren't that big...and the Silver line is about $100 less.  So I'm leaning towards the Genesis Silver C (gotta get the side burner!).  Did you look into those at all?

gonefishin

« Reply #13 on: 26 Apr 2004, 03:13 am »
Hey ya Marbles :)

Based just on construction and delivery of heat...the gas Weber's have been less than impressive to me as the years go on.  They seem to have had a cheapening of parts.  That's just my opinion on their gas grills...their charcoal grills are the same great product as always.  Some models even have a few upgrades, such as the wind resistant ash collector or the combined charcoal fuel with gas starter.
   For gas grills that are easily available every where, I think I would lean toward the Member's Mark branded gas grill.

...'course grilling isn't my best method of cooking...but I do enjoy it ;)

enjoy the food!

Marbles

« Reply #14 on: 26 Apr 2004, 03:16 am »
Thanks guys for all your help.

I bought the grill in the picture above, earlier today.

drphoto

« Reply #15 on: 28 Apr 2004, 01:16 am »
Looks like it'll be easier to do steaks on that beauty than in your firepit thingamabob! Happy grillin'-n-chillin'.

Marbles

« Reply #16 on: 28 Apr 2004, 02:16 am »
Quote from: drphoto
Looks like it'll be easier to do steaks on that beauty than in your firepit thingamabob! Happy grillin'-n-chillin'.

Easier for me, but you still won't use it...it's gas and your a charcoal guy...of course it does have a "smoker" burner to put those hickory or Mesquite chips in.

Those were some AWESOME steaks you brought up!

We'll have to do it again this year so you can hear the 40's in my system!

rosconey

« Reply #17 on: 28 Apr 2004, 10:50 am »
thats so funny a grand for a grill :lol:
it does the same thing as my 100$ one for 10 times the price-but hey it looks a lot more purty :mrgreen:
there must be some red neck blood in you  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
best one i ever seen was the back of a car sticking out of the back garage wall-open the trunk and grill baby

Eric

« Reply #18 on: 28 Apr 2004, 12:52 pm »
I own a Cajun Grill. It has adjustable coal racks and a detachable indirect coal box for smoking. I did ribs the other night using he indirect heat box. They smoked for 4 hours and came out awesome