Poll

Which do you prefer for outdoor cooking?

Charcoal
31 (58.5%)
Gas
22 (41.5%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: 1 May 2005, 04:49 am

Charcoal or Gas

Dan Driscoll

Charcoal or Gas
« Reply #20 on: 2 May 2005, 02:33 pm »
Quote from: ooheadsoo
I was running low on charcoal and had to do SOMETHING or the evening would be ruined.  Dumped on what charcoals I had left, poured on lighter fluid, dropped match, tossed the coals, the steaks tasted like lighter fluid.  Ugh.  I think I'll stick with gas if I can from now on.

:shake:
Using lighter fluid was your first mistake. The second was trying to grill without enough charcoal. The third was actually attempting to eat whatever it was you tried to cook. If you don't have the enough charcoal then you're better off broiling or roasting in the oven or pan-frying on the stovetop.
:nono:

Briquets are OK if you can't get anything better, but lump charcoal, from a wood that will compliment that flavor of whatever it is you are grilling or smoking, simply cannot be beat. Using an electric or chimmey starter to get the charcoal going will prevent the food from tasting like lighter fluid or various other petroleum by-products.

budyog

• I don't listen to audio, I listen to music.
Charcoal or Gas
« Reply #21 on: 2 May 2005, 04:11 pm »
I use wood/charcoal. The charcoal I use is "Royal Oak" resturaunt quality charcoal I buy at my local grilling store. I use a Brinkman smoker/grill that weighs over 300 lbs. I can do some serious grilling/smoking on this machine. But must have patence!

To get my fire started I use this little thing made by "FireKing". It measures about 1&1/2"x1"x2". I am told it is the same stuff that the tiles of the space shuttle are made out of. It is very light.

You soak this in you favorite stating fluid, I use Denatured Alcohol. Place it on your coal grate,  pile on you coals, light the little brick, and before you know it, you have glowing coals. It is real slick. No bad taste, no burned paper remnents flying around. I place it under my chimney stater for easy removal.
When it is cooled, you place it in it's container, resoak, cover and you are ready for the next time. They say it will light over 5000 fires. :flame: What a great product.  :beer:

Marbles

Charcoal or Gas
« Reply #22 on: 2 May 2005, 05:03 pm »
Not all gas and charcoal grills are created equal.  I have a friend who has one of these charcoal smoker/grills, the one on the home page:  http://www.kamado.com/

and he makes the best food in the neighborhood.  He says he has to plan every meal cooked on it and it's not nearly as convienant as a gas grill.

With it being 2" thick ceramic, he can cook in the middle of winter without any problems.  It is really a special smoker/grill, maybe the best in the world.

That being said, for my cooking habits and that of my family's, I preffer the convience of gas.

I think one day soon I might get a little egg smoker for the dual purpose of smoking and  charcoal (lump) grilling.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Charcoal or Gas
« Reply #23 on: 2 May 2005, 07:44 pm »
Cool grill- sorta looks like something Micheal Barnes might cook on! :lol:

MarkR7

Charcoal or Gas
« Reply #24 on: 2 May 2005, 10:09 pm »
The Kamado....yes, excellent grill / smoker.  I have owned one now for many years and love it.

Natural lump charcoal is the only way to go!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Charcoal or Gas
« Reply #25 on: 3 May 2005, 12:51 am »
Quote from: Marbles
That being said, for my cooking habits and that of my family's, I preffer the convience of gas.

Marbles....I remember the
thread from last year. Guess your happy with that grill...worked out well ? :) [/list:u]

Marbles

Charcoal or Gas
« Reply #26 on: 3 May 2005, 01:01 am »

I bought that grill and have been VERY satisfied with it so far.

ooheadsoo

Charcoal or Gas
« Reply #27 on: 3 May 2005, 01:15 am »
Yeah, in an ideal world, ok.  When the guests arrive almost 2 hours late, it's a different story.  It WAS plenty hot when they were SUPPOSED to be ready to eat.  I HAD enough charcoal.  I couldn't exactly run out and get more charcoal since I was waiting for them to arrive and there several other dishes that needed to be prepared.  Don't get me wrong.  With the right techniques, you can still get the steak to char - just not nearly as well.  Luckily, the guests' steaks didn't taste like lighter fluid (it was borderline barely hot enough at that point,) just the ones I cooked for myself and the crew in the back after the critical batch was done.  It's an issue that simply wouldn't have come up with gas.

Quote from: Dan Driscoll
:shake:
Using lighter fluid was your first mistake. The second was trying to grill without enough charcoal. The third was actually attempting to eat whatever it was you tried to cook. If you don't have the enough charcoal then you're better off broiling or roasting in the oven or pan-frying on the stovetop.
:nono:

Briquets are OK if you can't get anything better, but lump charcoal, from a wood that will compliment that flavor of whatever it is you are grilling or smoking, simply cannot be beat. Using  ...

Dan Driscoll

Charcoal or Gas
« Reply #28 on: 3 May 2005, 03:33 pm »
Yeah, in an ideal world, ok.  When the guests arrive almost 2 hours late, it's a different story.  It WAS plenty hot when they were SUPPOSED to be ready to eat.  I HAD enough charcoal.  I couldn't exactly run out and get more charcoal since I was waiting for them to arrive and there several other dishes that needed to be prepared.

Ahh, late guests can definitely ruin plans. I'm something of a hardass about beling late, especially when I'm cooking, and I will only wait a few minutes unless they call. But in your case it sounds like this was not just a friendly backyard dinner, but maybe a business outing? In that case, yeah, you were screwed. And gas certainly does have charcoal beat for convenience, even though it loses on everything else.

budyog

Charcoal or Gas
« Reply #29 on: 3 May 2005, 03:48 pm »
I wait for no-one. :rules:   Being the cook in the family, when it is ready, I eat. Everyone else can have it the way it is when they get there. If I buy it, prepair it, cook it, clean up after it, I eat it when it is at it's best. I live to eat! Most of the time when guest are invited, I don't start the coals until halve of the guest have arrived :D and drink lots of good beer in the meantime! :beer:

doug s.

• makin' music
Charcoal or Gas
« Reply #30 on: 3 May 2005, 07:32 pm »
Yeah, in an ideal world, ok.  When the guests arrive almost 2 hours late, it's a different story.  It WAS plenty hot when they were SUPPOSED to be ready to eat.  I HAD enough charcoal.  I couldn't exactly run out and get more charcoal since I was waiting for them to arrive and there several other dishes that needed to be prepared.  Don't get me wrong.  With the right techniques, you can still get the steak to char - just not nearly as well.  Luckily, the guests' steaks didn't taste like lighter fluid (it wa ...

your mistake was in lighting off the charcoal before the guests showed up...  

i prefer charcoal over gas (*real* charcoal), and gas over those pressed briquettes.  i have never had a problem using lighter fluid - i yust make sure it's all burned off prior to putting any edibles on the grille.

this co. makes charcoal that's quite reasonably priced, & wery good, imo:
http://www.cowboycharcoal.com/

doug s.

ooheadsoo

Charcoal or Gas
« Reply #31 on: 4 May 2005, 12:25 am »
When the day arrived, it was overcast, a bit chilly, and raining on and off.  I needed to get the grill going early to make sure that it could get hot enough in the weather.  If they had only arrived on time, or even 30-40minutes late, it would have been ok.

Carlman

Charcoal or Gas
« Reply #32 on: 4 May 2005, 01:59 am »
I always check the planet alignment before grilling with charcoal... I generally watch the weather a week ahead of time... my horoscope... and the Farmer's Almanac.... (can't hurt) I feel prepared to grill with charcoal after I've done at least an hour of research per day over the course of a week.

Oh and I get so excited when it all comes together.... time to grill... Now get ready with a glass of water to keep the flames down.... mmm, mmm.. nothing like trying to control coals with meat fat dripping on them...

Hooray for charcoal!

ooheadsoo

Charcoal or Gas
« Reply #33 on: 4 May 2005, 02:06 am »
Hey, I live in LA!  It never rains here!   :|

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Charcoal or Gas
« Reply #34 on: 4 May 2005, 06:27 am »
Carlman :
    Now get ready with a glass of water to keep the flames down....
    [/list:u]
      Forget the glass...a small water pistol works better...much better aim.... :lol: [/list:u]

Dan Driscoll

Charcoal or Gas
    « Reply #35 on: 4 May 2005, 03:23 pm »
    Quote from: lonewolfny42
    Carlman :
      Now get ready with a glass of water to keep the flames down....
      [/list:u]
        Forget the glass...a small water pistol works better...much better aim.... :lol: [/list:u]

A standard spray bottle also works very well and it can be adjusted from a narrow steam to a wide spray.

Carlman

Charcoal or Gas
      « Reply #36 on: 4 May 2005, 08:35 pm »
      Quote from: Dan Driscoll

A standard spray bottle also works very well and it can be adjusted from a narrow steam to a wide spray.

Wow... cat training, plant watering, hair styling, and now charcoal grilling control... all in one tool.  Now that's versatile! :)

-C

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
      • Selah Audio
        • http://www.selahaudio.com
      Charcoal or Gas
      « Reply #37 on: 4 May 2005, 09:12 pm »
      This made me hungry. Yesterday I grilled a pork shoulder over mesquite, seasoning it with a dry rub of Jamaican Jerk and Szechuan spices.

budyog

Charcoal or Gas
      « Reply #38 on: 10 May 2005, 03:28 pm »
      Anyone in Minneapolis want to share a pallet of Kamado coconut charcoal? I allready have a couple people going in on a pallet. If we get the total to 60 boxes it only cost $5.69 a box. A friend of mine really likes it, so I am game for trying some.

mcgsxr

Charcoal or Gas
      « Reply #39 on: 17 Jul 2005, 05:36 pm »
      Guess I fall on the gas side of this equation...

My new baby, in classic black, with natural gas line - 3 weeks till I take the new house, and BBQ!

http://www.napoleongrills.com/Webshare/Gourmet-grills/PT450RB.html