'Tis the Season- For Chili!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #40 on: 12 Jan 2005, 03:16 am »
Quote from: Gordy
How did "Bad Santa" get on that IPA list? :?  :lol:
He came along with the "Bad Elf"..... :lol:  ( hey I don't write this stuff, I'm just reading from the same list... :? )

beat

« Reply #41 on: 12 Jan 2005, 03:23 am »
IPA,
as I understand it was heavily hopped as the hops have a preserving characteristic which would allow it to make it to India from England. I just like how crisp it is..but I loves me some hops. My faves are Anchor liberty ale, Sierra nevada pale ale (it qualifies as Ipa in my book) and a slew of colorado based brews. Your next recipe from me could be for a good pale ale. It isnt that hard just gotta be patient. I made a christmas beer this year that turned out nice. Heavy, dark but drinkable with hints of clove cinnamon and allspice..just a little as I am really a purist. Cant stand the flavored stuff.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #42 on: 12 Jan 2005, 03:32 am »
beat:
Cant stand the flavored stuff
Interesting....no thoughts of "coffee beer". Now that would be something different..... :?

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #43 on: 12 Jan 2005, 03:34 am »
I really like Sierra nevada pale ale, too.  In fact, it's one of the only really good cheaper beers I can name.  I can't stand the beers flavored with alien crap, either.  The Germans had it right back in the early 1500's- beer should have only water, hops, barley, and yeast.

beat

« Reply #44 on: 12 Jan 2005, 03:48 am »
Cheers to that,
a couple years ago I made a coffee porter..nice and dark. Used a belgian yeast which have a nice creaminess..there again, the coffee was very subltly in the background. I think of it as sort of giving the grains a little oommph. I only do the "adjuncts" during the holidays  (funny that the technical term for added junk is actually adjunct) My friends get all excited about that stuff. I usually make it so thick though that it is almost like an apertif or after dinner beer. I myself prefer just good ol beer by the gallons

lonewolfny42

« Reply #45 on: 12 Jan 2005, 03:51 am »
My fav is Porter beer. So many beers....so little time.... :lol:

beat

« Reply #46 on: 12 Jan 2005, 03:55 am »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
My fav is Porter beer. So many beers....so little time.... :lol:

Seriously!! My favorite is all of em.. :mrgreen:

MaxCast

« Reply #47 on: 12 Jan 2005, 02:13 pm »
Quote from: beat
Cheers to that,
 I myself prefer just good ol beer by the gallons

:lol:

So many beers....so little time....

I'll drink to that!!

bubba966

« Reply #48 on: 12 Jan 2005, 07:30 pm »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
A 10 Qt will fit it just fine.  If you have a bigger one more's the better (it's easier to stir it that way).

Ahh, good. I'm trying to talk a friend of mine into trying this recipe out and was thinking about having to get a bigger pot. But since a 10qt will do, then that's what'll be used. Saves a trip to the Costco Business Center (and a few $ as well)... :mrgreen:

Gordy

OT...
« Reply #49 on: 12 Jan 2005, 08:04 pm »
With all this brew banter, this is looking like an excellent event 8) ...
http://tickets.worldcafelive.com/eventperformances.asp?evt=676

lonewolfny42

Re: OT...
« Reply #50 on: 13 Jan 2005, 07:09 am »
Quote from: Gordy
With all this brew banter, this is looking like an excellent event 8) ...
http://tickets.worldcafelive.com/eventperformances.asp?evt=676
Gonna be a lot of happy, smiling faces in Philly on Feb. 12th...... :lol:

Ulas

« Reply #51 on: 18 Jan 2005, 11:26 pm »
Better than beef or pork, I like my chili made with venison. It all started when we had some leftover venison shoulder-roast that we diced up and cooked in a chili. OMG. Venison and chili were made to go together. Now, I won’t make chili without it.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #52 on: 19 Jan 2005, 02:06 am »
I really don't care for chili with venison.  As embarassing as it is to admit, living the last 12 years as a 'city boy", I've lost my taste for wild game.  Growing up I ate an awful lot of deer, with some pheasants, ducks, doves & turkeys, too.  A lot of what we ate was stuff we hunted, for economic reasons and 'cause that's what you do when you live in the country.  I guess the final blow came when I've spent much of the last 15 years cooking for a living.  I'm just too used to meat from a package. :oops:

gonefishin

« Reply #53 on: 19 Jan 2005, 06:10 am »
Someone mention they wanted a couple Chili Recipes?  Go to the website an click Chili

:wink:

rosconey

« Reply #54 on: 26 Jan 2005, 05:48 pm »
chilli recipes-chilli is a art and love ,there are no book teachins involved.

i'm doing a batch today for this weekend,like fine wine it should be properly aged :o

the only thing you kneed to know is if you open the fridge and it cant outrun you it goes in :mrgreen: the chilli

Soundbitten

« Reply #55 on: 27 Jan 2005, 01:43 am »
America's Test Kitchen chili recipe is fantastic , the best I've had . It includes the " food of the gods "..... bacon .

Buck Naked

« Reply #56 on: 27 Mar 2005, 06:59 am »
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=612142 Mmmmmm....Wendy's chili  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Gordy

« Reply #57 on: 27 Mar 2005, 12:42 pm »
Obviously she couldn't outrun Rosconey...

jermmd

« Reply #58 on: 27 Mar 2005, 01:37 pm »
Quote from: Buck Naked
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=612142 Mmmmmm....Wendy's chili  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

Reminds me of that old movie where the guy is eating french fries, dipping them in ketchup, when one of the fries is really, you guessed it, a bloody cut off finger!  What a great scene that was.  I forget the name of the movie though.  It involved a car chase and may have had the word "hell" in the title.

By the way,  I have a cook book called "Secret Recipes" that has Wendy's chili recipe in it.  It's a very good chili recipe and it does leave room for improvisation at the end-for people who want something really finger licking.

Joe M.

John Ashman

• http://forum.adnm.com
« Reply #59 on: 27 Mar 2005, 04:44 pm »
Quote from: gonefishin
Someone mention they wanted a couple Chili Recipes?  Go to the website an click Chili

Yo da man!  I have a new bookmark on my bar.  I am literally addicted to chile (not chili) and hot peppers.  Of course, all good chili needs a beer in it and some red and/or green New Mexican chile in it.  

Speaking of which, I made a great peanut sauce trying to replicate Thai stuff (which I have no idea how to make).  I took a large spoon or two of peanut butter, added a touch of water and soy sauce to make it creamier, added some honey or syrup to add the sweetness and then load up on red chile powder to tasted.  Delicious!  Great for dipping chicken :)