Why is there no delete button? :o

gbaby

Re: Bryston SP4
« Reply #322 on: 20 Nov 2019, 02:35 pm »
delete

Rod_S

« Reply #323 on: 13 Jan 2020, 07:39 pm »
Hi James, would you mind clarifying something for me.

So you stated that you will not offer the new Storm designed HDMI board which is bringing eARC (but not ALLM or VRR by the sounds of things) but what about Storm's MarK2 platform? From my reading and there is a bit of confusion this appears to be separate form the new HDMI board. If they are truly mutually exclusive items will the new Bryston units be running the Mark2 platforms to allow for dts:X Pro, IMAX Enhanced and Auro-3D V2 and would older unit be upgradable like the Storm units will be? Unfortunately I still don't see mention of Storm upgrading the internal processing from 48kHz to 96.

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #324 on: 13 Jan 2020, 08:04 pm »
Hi James, would you mind clarifying something for me.

So you stated that you will not offer the new Storm designed HDMI board which is bringing eARC (but not ALLM or VRR by the sounds of things) but what about Storm's MarK2 platform? From my reading and there is a bit of confusion this appears to be separate form the new HDMI board. If they are truly mutually exclusive items will the new Bryston units be running the Mark2 platforms to allow for dts:X Pro, IMAX Enhanced and Auro-3D V2 and would older unit be upgradable like the Storm units will be? Unfortunately I still don't see mention of Storm upgrading the internal processing from 48kHz to 96.

Thanks

It’s still very much up in the air at this point so not sure what changes will be offered going forward.

Maybe Gary will have some input.

James

witchdoctor

« Reply #325 on: 13 Jan 2020, 08:39 pm »
Can't you just buy the new card from Storm and install it in the SP4?

Rod_S

« Reply #326 on: 13 Jan 2020, 09:01 pm »
It’s still very much up in the air at this point so not sure what changes will be offered going forward.

Maybe Gary will have some input.

James

thanks James

Yeah if Gary could chime in that would be great. Since there is now 3 variants of the storm processor I'm trying to get a solid and firm understanding of the differences between Storm's unit, the Bryston unit and Focal's variant.

Rod_S

« Reply #327 on: 13 Jan 2020, 09:02 pm »
Can't you just buy the new card from Storm and install it in the SP4?

I doubt that, especially if Bryston is loading their own firmware into their units.

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #328 on: 13 Jan 2020, 09:25 pm »
Basically at this point, it's possible but not certain that we will get new features storm is advertising. We really don't have much more to share on it at the moment.  Sorry!

I doubt that, especially if Bryston is loading their own firmware into their units.

Rod_S

« Reply #329 on: 14 Jan 2020, 12:56 am »
Thanks, do you know when that decision will be determined so it can be shared with owners and potential owners?

What I personally am obviously fearful of is if you officially break away from Storm with respect to hardware and firmware revisions then Bryston owners are essentially stuck with a product potentially frozen in time which as of this Spring when the new HDMI board and Mark2 main board updates are rolled out is obsolete when comparing back to the parent company's offering. Seeing as these units are north of $10k that's a lot of money to be putting out in the assumption the product is updatedable along with the Storm offering. If it's not going to be providing the parent company offering then it's no different than a very expensive receiver in that once it's purchased, that's essentially it, there is no guarantee from that point onwards it will receive any updates over time.

witchdoctor

« Reply #330 on: 14 Jan 2020, 04:32 am »
It always boils down to ROI, both for the consumer and respectfully to the vendor as well.
To the guys at Bryston, when it is time for the SP5 to roll out you need to think these things through in advance.
How would a marketing brochure look with ad copy like Gary's last post? "We think we may update these products from time to time in the future, we just don't have an answer yet???" Not good.
Gary or James, if you need help negotiating with storm reach out to Wilfried at Galaxy Studio's who spun the company off in the first place. great guy and he will probably give you some ideas that you won't need an NDA for. Good luck!

https://www.galaxystudios.com

witchdoctor

« Reply #331 on: 14 Jan 2020, 04:56 pm »
There is the ISE show coming up in February, it would be good if you guys could make an announcement at the show or have Storm announce it at their booth:

https://twitter.com/StormAudioFR/status/1217113898039566342?s=20

gbaby

« Reply #332 on: 15 Jan 2020, 12:28 am »
It always boils down to ROI, both for the consumer and respectfully to the vendor as well.
To the guys at Bryston, when it is time for the SP5 to roll out you need to think these things through in advance.
How would a marketing brochure look with ad copy like Gary's last post? "We think we may update these products from time to time in the future, we just don't have an answer yet???" Not good.
Gary or James, if you need help negotiating with storm reach out to Wilfried at Galaxy Studio's who spun the company off in the first place. great guy and he will probably give you some ideas that you won't need an NDA for. Good luck!

Witchdoctor, you should know that it it very irritating to read your comments and criticism of Bryston products, but yet you own no Bryston products. If you genuinely want to help Bryston, how about buying something, anything from Bryston? The profit it can make from your business can help pay overhead as well as research and development. I own 5 Bryston products. If you don't own Bryston and can't help the company, you need to chill.  :roll:

gbaby

« Reply #333 on: 15 Jan 2020, 12:29 am »
Delete

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #334 on: 15 Jan 2020, 12:54 am »

I generally find Bryston's answers to be honest and frank. No b.s. It's just Canadian.

If you have a problem with that,.... tough. Post elsewhere.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #335 on: 15 Jan 2020, 12:54 am »
Delete

"Irritating" doesn't start to describe it.   :icon_twisted:

Alphonse

« Reply #336 on: 15 Jan 2020, 01:33 am »
I for one welcome the constructive criticism. I am a Bryston owner and a big fan but would not want to see this forum turn into a place where only owners opinions count.

This pre/pro product category is a moving target mess IMO. What is going on with the new ATI/Datasat products for example?

Hopefully James and Gary do not find the posts irritating and can make some good decisions in a timely manor. I am patiently waiting.

I thought one of the advantages of the Storm platform is modularity?

Al

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #337 on: 15 Jan 2020, 01:54 am »
I think owners' opinions not only count, they should get top priority. Direct experience thru ownership and listening (to the gear, not to the marketing), there really is no substitute for them. Armchair criticism doesn't fly, especially when it's repetitious.
cheers

Rod_S

« Reply #338 on: 15 Jan 2020, 02:12 am »

Al

Exactly and that's my primary concern here. If Storm is chosen as the product to re-brand the main selling points of Storm is as you mention modularity and the other big one is upgradability. So if Bryston is potentially deviating from that then what was the point of going with Storm in the 1st place. Bryston would have been better off rebranding a receiver, not a modern SSP. If Bryston had of just offered a modern receiver with ATMOS, Dirac, dts:X, etc. I wouldn't be having this discussion because the expected norm for such a product is no upgradeability and if you are lucky you may get an occasional firmware update but that's not what they went with, they went with a state of the art DSP based SSP who is continually updating their units in both hardware and firmware and show no signs of letting up.

To address gbaby and CanadianMaestro, being critical is being realistic, only a fanboy would find no fault in any product or decision the company is making. I've made no bones about it I would prefer to get a Trinnov but here in Canada even the Altitude16 is mid $20k according to my dealer not to mention the even more crazy price of the Atl32 even in 8-8 configuration so those products are completely out of my price range. Other products are Theta but again, those units when equipped with their good DAC's are also ridiculously expensive. So the obvious realistic choice becomes the Storm items, be that Storm's own, the Bryston and Focal.

Being a Bryston owner for many years of numerous amps plus the BDP-2 I would prefer to get the Storm under the Bryston umbrella since I have no actual Storm dealer in province and having a local dealer  goes a a long way if a unit runs into issues after purchase. So again to CanadianMaestro, not that it makes any difference, I am an owner and have been for going on 15 years.

gbaby

« Reply #339 on: 15 Jan 2020, 02:13 am »
I for one welcome the constructive criticism. I am a Bryston owner and a big fan but would not want to see this forum turn into a place where only owners opinions count.

This pre/pro product category is a moving target mess IMO. What is going on with the new ATI/Datasat products for example?

Hopefully James and Gary do not find the posts irritating and can make some good decisions in a timely manor. I am patiently waiting.

Al

I see Bryston from a perspective of selling premium sounding, high end products for a relatively affordable price. Its selling the SP4 was an accommodation to ATMOS lovers, but they left the SP3 for those that is configured more towards music. Still, Bryston's focus even with the SP4 is with sound quality. I don't have the expectation that it will have every new feature like MQA. :lol: If you needed the features witchdoctor mentioned, you would have spoken on them. Correct?