The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: The OFFICIAL Super-7 thread
« Reply #80 on: 20 Apr 2016, 08:32 pm »
Hey guys, drop in your values and get a quick answer: http://www.pronine.ca/capimp.htm

I must be doing something way wrong here. When I input my power amp's 100 kOhm input impedance and say I want an F3 of 80Hz the calculator tells me i need a 5000000002uF cap.

Granted, physics is not my strong suit but that doesn't make any sense  :scratch:

Mike

mikeeastman

« Reply #81 on: 20 Apr 2016, 08:38 pm »
I had same problem till I figure out that after you click on calculate you have to click on page and it will change to the correct value.

Danny Richie

« Reply #82 on: 20 Apr 2016, 08:43 pm »
The calculator gave me 32 hz with the .047uF, would it be better to use say a .01uF which would give about 150 hz with my amp?

Yes.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #83 on: 20 Apr 2016, 08:49 pm »
I must be doing something way wrong here. When I input my power amp's 100 kOhm input impedance and say I want an F3 of 80Hz the calculator tells me i need a 5000000002uF cap.

Granted, physics is not my strong suit but that doesn't make any sense  :scratch:

Mike
Mike,
You need a 0.02uf cap for 80Hz with a 100K ohm input.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #84 on: 20 Apr 2016, 08:57 pm »
Mike,
You need a 0.02uf cap for 80Hz with a 100K ohm input.

Rich,

Thanks. I still wonder why I'm not getting that answer though.

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #85 on: 20 Apr 2016, 09:01 pm »
This time the calculator worked. It gave me the .02uF answer.

Thanks,

Mike

mikeeastman

« Reply #86 on: 20 Apr 2016, 09:08 pm »
Thanks Danny and Tyson

Ric Schultz

« Reply #87 on: 20 Apr 2016, 11:09 pm »
Here is another chart easy to use.  Use it for higher order xovers too. 

http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/crosscalc.asp#ccc

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #88 on: 22 Apr 2016, 02:17 am »
I've been running my Super 7's without the line level cap for the past couple of days, and I have to say I like it.  Clearer and more transparent.  I guess no cap is better than a good cap....

Danny Richie

« Reply #89 on: 22 Apr 2016, 02:29 am »
I've been running my Super 7's without the line level cap for the past couple of days, and I have to say I like it.  Clearer and more transparent.  I guess no cap is better than a good cap....

I get that a little as well. Unless you start playing them pretty hard or putting a lot of power on them and then they tend not to like it too much. It depends on the music input too. All vocals or instrumental and and less is always more. Music with a lot of hard hitting lows might not be as clean without the cap. It is always best to let your ears be the guide.

Tyson

« Reply #90 on: 22 Apr 2016, 03:40 am »
I'm mainly listening to classical music, so not a lot of thumping bass there :)

Tyson

« Reply #91 on: 23 Apr 2016, 04:20 pm »
Question on the 56uF Erse in the crossover - can I replace that with Sonicap Gen 1's?  I have a 2 pairs of 10uF and a pair of 15uF of the Sonicap Gen 1's that iI could use.  That gives me 35uF per side.  Could I need to order another 20uF cap to get to 55uF?  Or how close to the original 56uF value do you have to get?

Danny Richie

« Reply #92 on: 23 Apr 2016, 05:31 pm »
Question on the 56uF Erse in the crossover - can I replace that with Sonicap Gen 1's?  I have a 2 pairs of 10uF and a pair of 15uF of the Sonicap Gen 1's that iI could use.  That gives me 35uF per side.  Could I need to order another 20uF cap to get to 55uF?  Or how close to the original 56uF value do you have to get?

I'm not a big fan of using dissimilar values to make a larger one. The dissipation rates vary with cap size and it can and will cause some phase shift because of it. I can even measure that with my Clio.

And since that cap value is in a notch filter that is all pass to ground, then the quality of the cap is much less of an issue.

Tyson

« Reply #93 on: 23 Apr 2016, 05:45 pm »
OK, I'll leave it alone... Thanks Danny.

Tyson

« Reply #94 on: 5 May 2016, 05:06 am »
OK, I figured an update is in order.  I've recently swapped out 2 things in my speakers, the Sonicaps to ClarityCap MR's and the 1Mh Erse coil to a Jantzen 1mH wax foil coil. 

Results?  The caps are still burning in, but so far it's been a step sideways as far as I can tell at this point.  Disappointing (so far). 

The Jantzens, on the other hand, are the real deal.  An immediate (and big) improvement over the Erse perfect lay coils I had in there before.  Specifically with high frequency clarity, imaging, clarity between an initial note strike and it's reverb (this was muddier before, particularly with things like pianos, cymbals, triangles, etc).  Overall it just allows the creation of a more realistic space, and the instruments sound more realistic within that better defined space. 

I'm shocked.  Honestly this is the reverse of what I expected.  I expected the caps to have a big impact and the coils to have a small change.  But it's the opposite. 
« Last Edit: 5 May 2016, 04:34 pm by Tyson »

Ric Schultz

« Reply #95 on: 5 May 2016, 04:33 pm »
I assume you mean Clarity cap MR and not Multicap MR.  Did you do all the caps or just one?  And if one, which one and what value?  How long did you burn in the caps?  Did you use a bypass on the MR cap. 

What gauge of coil did you use?  Was it on the tweet or midrange?  Did you go into the inside of the coil and out the outside?

Please see my post on page 2 of this thread for my coil gauge recommendations.

Sonicaps bypassed by Platinums are pretty good.  The caps are the last thing I would change.  There are better caps but there are way better coils and way better wire.  This is what I would change first.

Tyson

« Reply #96 on: 5 May 2016, 04:59 pm »
Yes, ClarityCap, not Multicap.  Thanks for pointing that out, fixed it.

I used a 16ga 1.0mH on the midrange only.  I wanted to try it out and see if it made any difference while keeping as many other things the same as possible.  After this successful result I've also ordered all 14ga Jantzen Wax/Foils to replace all 3 inductors.  Those are still on the way to me, I can't wait to get them all in.  I went with 14ga because they were the closest match to the DCR of the current coils.  I attach the inner coil lead to the amp side, and the outer foil to the driver side. 

For caps, I replaced the 10uF tweeter cap and the 15uF midrange cap with the ClarityCap MR.  No bypasses on these caps.  I have about 40 hours on them so far.  So still a long way to go on those. 

I also (yesterday) replaced the Erse shunt cap with Clarity Cap ESA's (half step below the MR Series).  This is bypassed with a ClarityCap MR.  My thinking and focus is that vibration is a real issue that needs to be addressed, and these caps and the Jantzen coils both go to extreme lengths to deal with that very issue.  I suspect its this lack of vibration that allows so much more sound staging and room/ambience information through.  PRaT also increases significantly - these things boogie!

I ran the speakers with pink noise all night for the past 2 nights and things have changed a bit more.  When I said the caps were a step sideways, I meant this - the ClarityCaps had more ambient information, attack, clarity, and transparency.  But the Sonicaps had better tone even though they were a bit more occluded.  That's what I meant by trade off.  But I've noticed today (after the pink noise burn in) that the ClarityCap MR's have relaxed quite a bit and are no longer edgy.  They are still not warm and laid back, but they are much more relaxed from a tonal standpoint.  And the ambient information and sound staging have actually gotten better. 

Ric Schultz

« Reply #97 on: 5 May 2016, 05:19 pm »
On my single Neo 10 the 14 gauge Jantzen Wax coil was much better than the 16 gauge......but the real treat was going to 12 gauge....much more clarity, space, dynamics, tone, everything (yes, boogie factor...through the roof!).  You should order the 12 gauge and try them...even if the DCR is less, it is not much less and in my system the difference is dramatic (I went from 16 gauge Erse to 16 gauge Jantzen (slightly higher DCR than Erse) then to 14 gauge Jantzen and then to 12 gauge Jantzen).  For some reason I liked the 16 gauge on the tweets instead of 14 gauge (cannot remember what I heard now).

I like to place my crossover parts on cardboard which is on a platform isolated from the speaker with more cardboard.  Cardboard sounded better than various other damping materials.

One way to juice up a cap is to add a flavorful cap like a copper foil Jupiter as a bypass.....this is what I do on my Rike cap on my midrange and also across my Sonicap on my tweeter (I also use WA Quantum chips on the caps and also bypass the Sonicap with my modified Wima cap for more speed).  Pic of my xover on second page.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #98 on: 5 May 2016, 05:40 pm »
Audiophile cardboard.  :lol:

Ric Schultz

« Reply #99 on: 5 May 2016, 05:49 pm »
Another pleasant one liner from our resident curmudgeon.  What he does not like (most of my ideas especially) he has to make a snide remark to. 

What makes you happy?  Laughing at others?  I feel sorry for you.  Love is all there is!