Problem with volume level- Help!!!

Rob S.

Problem with volume level- Help!!!
« on: 12 Feb 2007, 09:06 pm »
Hi all:

While waiting for a call back from Klaus, thought I'd post my problem here.

Just this morning I put some music on and noticed right away the music was very very soft.  When I turn the volume up about 1/2 way (which is normally very very loud)  it sounds like it normally does when the volume is set at about 8-9 o'clock.  No static or distortion just low sound level.   Equipment is mono's SE, candela pre, AVA ULtra DAC, cdp, basic cables/ Ic's, magnepan speakers.

I leave the amps on 24/7 and only turn on the other electronics as needed- usually leave on w/ music playing for part of the day and turn off the electronics at night.  preamp and DAC both have tubes and are about 1.5 months old.

I've switched out the speakers, problem still there.  I've turned off the tube DAC and used cdp to preamp to amp to speakers with problem still there.  Any ideas?   Bad tubes?

Rob S.

AlexG

• Industry Participant
Re: Problem with volume level- Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Feb 2007, 11:41 pm »
Rob S.,

It is very unlikely that both tubes will fail at the same time. Please PM your phone number and best time to call.

Regards,

Alex

Rob S.

« Reply #2 on: 13 Feb 2007, 04:04 am »
Problem solved by Alex.  Problem with hookup to my Arcam processor through the candela's HT Bypass.  The Arcam needs to be off when doing 2channel listening, some sort of cancelling of the signal on the part of the Arcam,  turn the Arcam off and the problem is gone.

Thanks for your time and system suggestions and getting me back to my great sound!!!

Rob S.

djbnh

« Reply #3 on: 13 Feb 2007, 10:41 pm »
I love Odyssey's quick response re: customer service. Glad your issue was resolved expeditiously and to your liking.

BobC

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2007, 02:20 am »
I had the identical problem.  Following the advice on this thread I left my Rotel RSP-1066 processor off.  But I still had the volume problem.

So I PM's Alex and of course he quickly called me and told me what to do.   :thumb:

Turns out that I left my processor on stand-by (which really isn't off, I guess).  Silly me  :oops:

So now I'm up and running with my new Candela and it sounds great!  Still breaking in my Mono Extreme SE's though.  8)

Thanks Alex!   :D

stearnsn

« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2007, 10:46 pm »
Well, I too had the problem.  I got mine last week and after a talk with Alex (great guy) I tried turning the receiver off.  Mine is a Boston Acoustics AVR-7120 http://www.hometheatermag.com/completesystems/705boston/

Turning it off did not work.  Unplugging the interconnects worked... so I tried plugging the IC's into the Candela and leaving them unplugged on the other end.  Sounds great.  Next I plugged them into the receiver...hey still sounds great!  When I turned on the receiver the volume dropped again (even though it was on standby) so I turned it off.  The sound stayed low for about 5-10 seconds and came back up.  Hopefully problem solved although I don't understand it.

Loving the sound BTW.
« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2007, 03:30 pm by stearnsn »

AlexG

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2007, 01:45 am »
Loving the sound BTW.

Welcome to the circles... :thumb:

Regards,

Alex

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2007, 02:50 am »
Klaus alone is great on service, but now Klaus +  Alex is even better service.

stearnsn

« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2007, 05:38 pm »
After returning from a Jazz Club where we listend to Mel Brown's Quartet including Louis Pain on the Hammond B3 last night I had a chance to listen to my Candela.  I turned off the receiver (it was on standby), waited 4-5 minutes and fired up the player...very low volume again! 

I think I am going to have to give up on HT bypass.  I moved the IC's from the receiver to the Aux 1 position and am hoping to figure out the right volume level to set the Candela to match up with the other speakers driven by my receiver and just listen to the fronts through the Candela on Movies and TV.  I ordered some other tubes to try out some rolling so I'm not too concerned about tube life.  Anyone see any problem with this strategy?

At least the audio worked great once I moved the IC's.  I listened to Eva Cassidy's Blues Alley then Grateful Dead Dick's Picks Volume 8-the acoustic first-set, all I can say is that my rig is much more lively and realistic.  Once I get it set up I'll report on how it works.

« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2007, 09:01 pm by stearnsn »

stearnsn

« Reply #9 on: 31 Mar 2007, 03:27 pm »
An update.  I broke out the SPL meter and made the adjustments (volume level on the Candela at 1:00 seems to match up pretty well with the output on the other three speakers).  We watched a movie last night and everything works great.

Thanks Klaus & Alex.

I also ordered a pair of CBS/HYTRON 5814's and a pair of JJ/Tesla's.  I'll let you all know how they sound in my system.

s_cervin

« Reply #10 on: 31 Mar 2007, 04:39 pm »
Bums me out to hear the troubles with the HT Bypass.  Klaus mentioned my new gear will ship in the next few days.  Hopefully I don't have the same problems since this one of the main reasons I went with the Candela.

Scott C.

martinr

« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2007, 02:41 pm »
I have an older (late 90's) yamaha surround processor/amplifier DSP-E92 that I connect my surround sound rears to and run through the candle for the front end.  In my case I have connected the processor to the HT bypass inputs on the candela, leave the selector nob on the candle set to CD and it works great as long as I don't turn on the Candela.  I like this capability because I don't waste tube life while watching movies.  If I turn on the Candela and turn the selector nob to HT I loose volume from the processor and if I switch back to CD's it takes about 5 minutes for the candela's volume to return to normal levels.  Throughout this 5 minute period the candela goes through a period of distortion before it smooths out.
I don't know if turning the Candela's power off and the selector nob switched to CD while listening to HT will work with another HT processor but it might be worth a try.

aa

Martin