Recommendations For an MC Phono Stage

BellyOfPork

Recommendations For an MC Phono Stage
« on: 20 Nov 2013, 06:10 am »
Hey guys, this is my first post at your fine forum. Thanks for having me!

I put this out there on another forum and just wanted to hear what you guys thought.

I guess my budget could be around $1000, but that would be pushing it. I would like to get there for $700 or less.

Adjustable cartridge loading is a must.

Tube is certainly preferable.

My Acurus LS11 is sounding great after being modified by Ken Ealey, but has no phonostage.

I have a Technics 310MC I would like to get going, but I think it is quite low output, .2mv I believe.

I have been considering:

Jolida JD9mkII --- Evidently seems to really shine with the opamps upgraded and a couple of bypass caps. I am not a handy with a soldering iron kind of guy, so this is gonna put me well over $1000.

Pro-Ject Tube Box DS --- Seems a bit of a newer product, not a whole lot of user reviews on AK or any other forums for that matter.

Hypnotoad's DIY phonostage --- Looks like my best best for price vs performance, everyone sounds really happy with this guy. I am not a DIY guy, and I am not even sure if there are any more boards available from Hypnotoad or elsewhere. I would probably try to get the Hypnotoad MM stage made as well if I went this route.

I would love to hear any other suggestions you guys have about any of this.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Recommendations For an MC Phono Stage
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2013, 12:38 pm »
I have a Cambridge with the Hypnotoad upgrades that's just sitting on the shelf, if you are interested.

trackball02

« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2013, 03:01 pm »
I have been using a Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena preamp with a lot of success with my AT OC9/II cartridge.

It is not tube, but has the option of selecting battery operation. Plenty of options for cartridge loading. I believe there is a newer version now for sale.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2013, 04:46 pm »
Hey guys, this is my first post at your fine forum. Thanks for having me!

I put this out there on another forum and just wanted to hear what you guys thought.

I guess my budget could be around $1000, but that would be pushing it. I would like to get there for $700 or less.

Adjustable cartridge loading is a must.

Tube is certainly preferable.

My Acurus LS11 is sounding great after being modified by Ken Ealey, but has no phonostage.

I have a Technics 310MC I would like to get going, but I think it is quite low output, .2mv I believe.

I have been considering:

Jolida JD9mkII --- Evidently seems to really shine with the opamps upgraded and a couple of bypass caps. I am not a handy with a soldering iron kind of guy, so this is gonna put me well over $1000.

Pro-Ject Tube Box DS --- Seems a bit of a newer product, not a whole lot of user reviews on AK or any other forums for that matter.

Hypnotoad's DIY phonostage --- Looks like my best best for price vs performance, everyone sounds really happy with this guy. I am not a DIY guy, and I am not even sure if there are any more boards available from Hypnotoad or elsewhere. I would probably try to get the Hypnotoad MM stage made as well if I went this route.

I would love to hear any other suggestions you guys have about any of this.

With a cart with .2mv output you will need 70db of gain as a starting point. Vista comes to mind at your price point. A killer for the money. Boris can set it up for you and provide resistors for custom loading if desired. Vista built one for my Linn Arkiv with .15 mv output and to my ears did a very good job.

charles

sebrof

« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2013, 06:17 pm »
I have been using a Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena preamp with a lot of success with my AT OC9/II cartridge.

It is not tube, but has the option of selecting battery operation. Plenty of options for cartridge loading. I believe there is a newer version now for sale.
I have the Nova as well. Great stage, loading down to 30 ohms and gain up to 60 db which for your .2mv cart may not be enough. I just (yesterday) got a Rega Apheta that has .5 mv and I wish I had 10db or so more gain.

BellyOfPork

« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2013, 09:22 pm »
I wasn't sure how much gain I needed, you guys have certainly clarified it for me.

Looks like lots of folks seem to like the Nova Phonomena II, but it only has 60db of gain. Like rollo and trackball02 say, it looks like I will need at least 70.

The Vista does look appealing, I checked out the build thread and it seems well thought out and executed.

It looks like the JD9II has 80db of gain, putting back on the top of my list.

S Clark: Thanks for the offer on the Cambridge, but I was looking for one of his own designs.

Thanks all!

tomytoons

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2013, 11:56 pm »
Yup, the Vista is excellent with everything I have thrown at it.
10X5, AT OC9ML/II, Denon DL301/II, SAE 1000lt.

tomjtx

« Reply #7 on: 28 Nov 2013, 12:57 am »
Try the Ray Samuels Nighthawk battery powered preamp. A true giant killer at around 750.00
It has features usually found on megabuck units. Gain, capacitance load all done with dials on the front. It replaced a 3,000 tube phono pre in my system.

Sold direct from Ray

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2013, 01:43 am »
Try the Ray Samuels Nighthawk battery powered preamp. A true giant killer at around 750.00
It has features usually found on megabuck units. Gain, capacitance load all done with dials on the front. It replaced a 3,000 tube phono pre in my system.

Sold direct from Ray

At that price point Ray is a talented designer and all around great guy. His chassis designs are also bullet proof.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue51/nighthawk.htm

Best,
Anand.

BellyOfPork

« Reply #9 on: 1 Dec 2013, 08:14 pm »
Thanks fellas! It looks nice.

Ill see if I can audition a nighthawk.

roscoeiii

« Reply #10 on: 2 Dec 2013, 02:25 am »
Also a big fan of the Dynavector P75. Around the same price as the Nighthawk. Nighthawk has the advantages and disadvantages of battery power, I am told. Advantages=quiet as a mouse. Disadvantages=can be a little polite and laid back, without the dynamics you might get from an AC unit. This is not from my own personal listening, but what I have been told by folks who tried it and moved on.

P75 has the advantage of Phono Enhancer mode for LOMC carts. They just released MkIII of this. I had a MkI and loved it. Then upgraditis struck.

Not sure if there is a dealer for either near you, but best would be to audition if possible.

Oh, and the Jasmine phono stage also has many fans, whose opinions I hold in high regard.

zuluwarrior0760

« Reply #11 on: 2 Dec 2013, 03:07 am »
Michael Fremer used a .2mv $8500.00 cartridge on the 399.00list
IFi phono preamp.

I would certainly investigate that one and use the rest on records.....

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/whats-8500-cartridge-doing-place-399-ifi-iphono-phono-preamplifier

bluemike

« Reply #12 on: 2 Dec 2013, 03:15 am »
I have a Paul Hynes phono stage that does both mm and mc here in the classifieds
It's in your price range and one great sounding phono stage
Take a look

roscoeiii

« Reply #13 on: 2 Dec 2013, 04:44 am »
Michael Fremer used a .2mv $8500.00 cartridge on the 399.00list
IFi phono preamp.

I would certainly investigate that one and use the rest on records.....

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/whats-8500-cartridge-doing-place-399-ifi-iphono-phono-preamplifier

Oh yeah, good suggestion. That iFi stuff is getting great reviews.

sebrof

« Reply #14 on: 2 Dec 2013, 05:18 am »
Oh yeah, good suggestion. That iFi stuff is getting great reviews.
"Compared to far more expensive phono preamps it will sound a bit pinched and nasally in the midrange and somewhat threadbare overall, but again, it costs $399 and..."

I guess if you have a $399 budget you can accept pinched and nasally, but the OP is looking a little upscale.
I haven't heard it of course, but certainly not unusual for a review to make something sound Giant Killer-ish.

Photon46

« Reply #15 on: 2 Dec 2013, 11:22 am »
Your odds of finding a used one are slim, but at your price point, my first choice would be a Heed Quasar. Not well known on these shores, but a quick Google search of reviews will give you a sense of its appeal. There are at least a couple dealers in the states. I've seen two used ones pop up on Audiogon this year. http://www.heedaudio.hu/products/modular-line/quasar

Minn Mark

« Reply #16 on: 2 Dec 2013, 08:22 pm »
B of P,
You might look at the AVA website (Audio by Van Alstine) . I see Frank has recently posted on their AC circle here that he has a tubed MC phonostage available. He's also a great guy, and builds 'bullet-proof' equipment, IMHO.  Try him at www.avahihfi.com or call at 651-330-9871

Good luck and keep us posted,

Mark

tomytoons

« Reply #17 on: 2 Dec 2013, 10:06 pm »
"Pinched and nasally", Fremers description in a $200k+ total system. Not hardly at all here.
The ifI will compare to the Nova, I had one a while ago. I have had a lot of them, too many of them including the EE Mini Max Phono.
All the reviews have been good. Give it a listen.
My beloved Vista is in the hands of "BellyOfPork" lets see what he thinks.
Although the iFI is a bit different flavor and an even blacker background it edged the Vista out in my system and the Vista is damn good!

BellyOfPork

« Reply #18 on: 3 Dec 2013, 07:31 pm »
Thanks guys, lots of interesting suggestions.

The Van Alstine looks interesting, but I hesitate(maybe silly) to get a super early model.

The Heed looks nice, but I am not that patient to wait.

The Ifi is hella interesting.

People keep raving about that Dynavector with the Phono Enhancer. Something I am definately considering.

I do have Tomytoons' Vista, just received it yesterday. So far so good, but I think I need to play around with the resistors a bit, I am getting a bit of harshness in the highs, almost a sibilance.

Minn Mark

« Reply #19 on: 3 Dec 2013, 07:38 pm »
Give Frank a call-- I've never known him to not offer a 30 day 100% money back satisfaction guarantee on all new product purchases, so you really cant go wrong.  My (really) early first impressions of the Vision MM phono are posted in the AVA AC circle. Just got the new circuits yesterday, along with some other upgrades to my preamp.

mark