AC Power Voltage Regulation

Musica Amantem

Re: AC Power Voltage Regulation
« Reply #20 on: 22 Feb 2015, 06:31 pm »
I'm merely pointing out that voltage fluctuations may have more impact on sound than just affecting SPL. I agree with your view on the rest. Thanks.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #21 on: 22 Feb 2015, 08:42 pm »
I have the new Tekton Lore 2.0 floorstanding speakers. I alternate these with my Decware DM945 monitors on stands. Both speaker sets are used in conjunction with a Velodyne SUB (DLS 3500), evidently with quite different crossover cut settings.

I appreciate your sales pitch, but there's something that does not ring a bell in my mind:

How can the dynamics improve beyond what I have now (with only the IS Tx in place), if, in the best scenario, the current draw is limited by the IS Tx, and the Power Conditioner would not overcome this limitation if connected after the IS Tx (best scenario = IS Tx is the current flow bottleneck).

Unless you are implying that further noise reduction stemming from the added filtering of the Power Conditioner allows for better micro and macro dynamics, somehow? I would expect higher levels of detail by lowering the floor noise and sort of lifting a 'veil' from the presentation, but dynamics?

Could you explain the basis of your claim, please?

Thanks, and enjoy your well deserved vacation.
Power Factor Correction  :   http://www.ehow.com/about_6600453_power-factor-correction_.html  http://powerfactor.us/

Current well (my definition) :   a very low impedance source of available current to supply instantaneous power demands

Those two are responsible for my "claim".

Adding power factor correction between two large inductors will improve the power factor.  Wall current and current from an isolation transformer are high impedance current sources.  A figure often used (although it is more than a tad arbitrary) is 1 ohm.  Perhaps Speedskater can provide a reliable citation.  The man is a veritable encyclopedia of knowledge.  The output impedance of the UberBUSS and RevB is < 0.003 ohm.  When you combine the efficiency increase provided by the PFC network and the current well the equals instantaneous power.  No claim, just fact. 

On my old system I quoted above, an UberBUSS gave a 0.6dB increase of output level at 1kHz when the baseline measurement was 90dB.  The measurement was taken at 2 meters.  Measurements were taken with an AudioToolBox and a B&K 2239A SPL meter.

Physics works every time.

Musica Amantem

« Reply #22 on: 22 Feb 2015, 09:44 pm »
I see. I never considered output impedance. As I said initially, I'm not familiar with the topic. Now I understand where the effect on dynamics comes from. I suppose the current well replenishment process is fast enough to provide a power factor correction distribution over time, enough to sustain the increased dynamics effect indefinitely.

In addition to the above, does your conditioner offer additional noise reduction, beyond what has been already obtained through the de-coupling from the mains, at the IS Tx's secondary level?

Thanks for the enlightenment.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #23 on: 22 Feb 2015, 10:41 pm »
The current well is separate from the PFC.  PFC shifts the current/voltage equation to provide more effective available power under the curve.  By decreasing the phase relationship between current and voltage you end up with more available power to the device... in this instance a big inductor - the power transformer in the gear.  The lower output impedance provided by the current well  enhances this relationship by being "RIGHT THERE" when the transformer calls for current.  With the low output impedance, the effect is essentially instantaneous.

Noise reduction in the BUSSes is provided by what I call the Brick.  It is a non-inductive reactive filter that strips away noise from the AC beginning in the lower midrange.  Most "filters" in power filtration units operate above 100kHz.  THis is a huge difference.  The Brick is a virtual black hole to noise.  I was suprised by the difference in noise between my Topaz and the BUSS.  That is what I meant by the Emeril quote.  The noise output from an UberBUSS is essentially below audibility and measurement using our local grid as a noise source. I live in Albuquerque, NM where we have ~ 2 BILLION watts of RF in the air and on the lines.  Sandia National Labs is responsible for most of that contribution.  They actually start broadcasting noise at 2Hz for through the earth transmission.  Our local power utility does all of its' telemetry and switching with signal imprinted on the lines at about 100kHz.

Sucks.

Musica Amantem

« Reply #24 on: 23 Feb 2015, 12:18 pm »
Thanks so much for your further insights. I really think you have an amazing product.

I'm wondering what the more affordable MiniBuss could do in my situation? I really don't have a noise issue (at least to my old ears), but considering the possibility of some noise jumping to the secondary in my IS Tx (don't have a clue as to how much noise cancellation improvement potential there may be), I'm wondering if that first stage would be advisable.

I live in a small town far away from any industrial settings and during non peak demand hours the power is stable and pretty much clean. Very little RF/EM in my neighborhood, other than the ubiquitous cellular phone waves.

Thanks for your always candid and informative replies.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #25 on: 11 Apr 2015, 09:16 pm »
Thanks so much for your further insights. I really think you have an amazing product.

I'm wondering what the more affordable MiniBuss could do in my situation? I really don't have a noise issue (at least to my old ears), but considering the possibility of some noise jumping to the secondary in my IS Tx (don't have a clue as to how much noise cancellation improvement potential there may be), I'm wondering if that first stage would be advisable.

I live in a small town far away from any industrial settings and during non peak demand hours the power is stable and pretty much clean. Very little RF/EM in my neighborhood, other than the ubiquitous cellular phone waves.

Thanks for your always candid and informative replies.
The MiniBUSS is the most overlooked product that I have. It uses a different method of noise reduction That is a great way to bring first class treatment that is not current limiting.  It is a better match for a lot of SMPS than an Uber or RevB.

One of the things about noise is that we don't know how much we have until it is gone> 8)  With a nod to Joni mitchell

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: 11 Apr 2015, 09:32 pm »
The MiniBUSS is the most overlooked product that I have. It uses a different method of noise reduction That is a great way to bring first class treatment that is not current limiting.  It is a better match for a lot of SMPS than an Uber or RevB.

One of the things about noise is that we don't know how much we have until it is gone> 8)  With a nod to Joni mitchell
Nice.