Welcome to EVOKE Loudspeakers

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
Welcome to EVOKE Loudspeakers
« on: 16 May 2016, 04:16 pm »
EVOKE Loudspeakers has been created to build high performance planar-based speakers at affordable prices. They have been compared against products many times their cost. The first product, EDDIE, is a 3-way and will debut at T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach in 2 weeks! we hope to see you there.

Here's what people are saying:

"I recently heard the Evoke speakers with Nuprime electronics and have to say after going to at least 10 years of CES, and THE Shows in Vegas and Newport Beach, and listening to the most expensive systems at the shows, I have never heard anything as natural, and real sounding as this." shauk786

"Quick recap: These speakers are excellent sounding. There is great balance between the three drivers. The midrange is so clear and revealing. What else? I like these speakers! Imaging is exceptional in my opinion. These speakers gave me that "you are there" experience." mresseguie

Please feel free to visit the website at www.evokespeakers.com or our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/evokeloudspeakers.

Here is the final prototype image of Eddie in production right now!

« Last Edit: 17 May 2016, 02:15 am by Evoke »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: Welcome to EVOKE Loudspeakers
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2016, 04:29 pm »
"Quick recap: These speakers are excellent sounding. There is great balance between the three drivers. The midrange is so clear and revealing. What else? I like these speakers! Imaging is exceptional in my opinion. These speakers gave me that "you are there" experience." mresseguie"

8)

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2016, 05:15 pm »
Any plans to make a high efficiency open baffle? Also interested in low powered SET friendly speakers. I think this market has yet to receive the attention it deserves and it would be nice to see more options.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2016, 06:18 pm »
Do you have a price in mind?

Evoke

• Industry Participant
EDDIE Pricing
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2016, 08:06 pm »
I'll touch on this now and expand later. EVOKE will have a "Founders' Circle" with introductory pricing. Eddie will be offered at $2995 a pair for serial numbers 007 - 0050. (The first 3 pairs are sold). The second 12 pairs will be a bit more. Founders get a discount on all future purchases and a trade-up policy.  Like I said - more on that later.

Evoke

• Industry Participant
EVOKE SET and open-baffle speakers
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2016, 08:07 pm »
"Any plans to make a high efficiency open baffle? Also interested in low powered SET friendly speakers."

Speaking of the future - We have many products in development. The prototype of a small 2-way is sounding really great and very efficient. Tuning the crossover and such may have some impact and result in a different woofer. So far, so good!

As for an open baffle, not initially. We have a larger format planar in development. If all goes well, there should be a prototype in maybe 2 years. Getting that right is a very challenging task. This planar will be the centerpiece of the Signature line - two top of the line products. They won't be as expensive as many others, but for EVOKE they will be at the top of our pricing.

BobRex

« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2016, 08:53 pm »
You might want to rethink your specs.  100 watt minimum with an 89dB sensitivity?  Really?

Evoke

• Industry Participant
Eddie Suggested Minimum Power Spec
« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2016, 09:06 pm »
"You might want to rethink your specs.  100 watt minimum with an 89dB sensitivity?  Really?" BobRex

Thanks for your post, Bob. If I understand you, you think that 100 watts is too high a minimum? Please correct me if I'm wrong. EDDIE will work fine with less power by the way, but we "suggest" in the specs a minimum of 100 watts.

There are a lot of people not as savvy as those on the AudioCircle going to the website. I believe that you and the group know that there are many exceptional 50 watt amps that can out perform much larger amps. That said, I have a very good friend who heard Eddie and was amazed and wondered if they could use their receiver from a box store. Hmmm... So I laugh or do I cry?

So hence the "suggestion".
« Last Edit: 16 May 2016, 10:58 pm by Evoke »

rotarius

Re: Eddie Suggested Minimum Power Spec
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2016, 11:33 pm »
"You might want to rethink your specs.  100 watt minimum with an 89dB sensitivity?  Really?" BobRex

Thanks for your post, Bob. If I understand you, you think that 100 watts is too high a minimum? Please correct me if I'm wrong. EDDIE will work fine with less power by the way, but we "suggest" in the specs a minimum of 100 watts.

There are a lot of people not as savvy as those on the AudioCircle going to the website. I believe that you and the group know that there are many exceptional 50 watt amps that can out perform much larger amps. That said, I have a very good friend who heard Eddie and was amazed and wondered if they could use their receiver from a box store. Hmmm... So I laugh or do I cry?

So hence the "suggestion".

I would think 100 watts minimum stated under specifications would not qualify as a suggestion.  I think most of us assume that to be a requirement.  You would be excluding most of us with tube amps with that spec.

Evoke

• Industry Participant
Tube Amp Driving EDDIE
« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2016, 11:57 pm »
"I would think 100 watts minimum stated under specifications would not qualify as a suggestion.  I think most of us assume that to be a requirement.  You would be excluding most of us with tube amps with that spec." rotarius

What kind of tube amp do you have? If I can get access to one I will give it a try. I am still hearing EDDIE through a variety of amps - about a dozen so far. One was terrible and the rest have been very good. One thing I noticed with the NuPrime amps was that the 100 watt integrated amp almost seemed to be bred for EDDIE. And then I heard the STA-9. At the same SPLs there was more, for lack of a better word, authority. So there are significant differences between amplifiers. You can also hear the difference between DACs like night and day.

Thanks for your post!

Early B.

« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2016, 12:12 am »
One hundred watts is a good suggestion.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2016, 12:41 am »
One hundred watts is a good suggestion.

I think so, too.

Welcome to AC, Evoke! :thumb:

Have fun,

Jerry

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2016, 12:50 am »
Thanks for your thoughts Early B. and for the welcome, JerryM  :thumb:

BobRex

« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2016, 12:58 am »
Take a look at other similar sensitivity loudspeakers, Let's open this month's Stereophile.....

B&W 802D3 - 90dB sensitivity, 8 ohms, Recommended amplification = 50 -500w into 8 ohms.  Notice that while there may be a sweet spot, there is also a "minimum".  And that's for a full range speaker. 

Now your ad copy didn't say 100 watts "ideal" or "recommended", it says "minimum".  Do you see the difference?  Do you see why I thought you might want to re-think that? 

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2016, 02:08 am »
Bob - you're right. It is confusing. I'll fix that.

cliffy

« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2016, 04:08 pm »
Also note that the EDDIE is a rated a 4-ohm load. 
This would suggest the 100 watt rated into 4 ohm is closer to a 50 watt into 8 ohm load. 
That would be in line with the majority of similarly spec'd speakers.

Evoke

• Industry Participant
EDDIE Evoke Amplifier Power
« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2016, 04:37 pm »
"Also note that the EDDIE is a rated a 4-ohm load. 
This would suggest the 100 watt rated into 4 ohm is closer to a 50 watt into 8 ohm load. 
That would be in line with the majority of similarly spec'd speakers."
Cliffy

Thanks, Cliffy - Great point. And I think we all know that a quality 50 watt amp is better than a cheap 100 watt amp. The biggest enemy is clipping and any amp can do it when pushed beyond its limits. Eddie presents a pretty even load to amplifiers. The main point is stability into a 4 ohm load.

skidro

« Reply #17 on: 22 May 2016, 02:43 pm »
Positioning question........how close can the evoke speakers be placed to the rear wall before it becomes "TOO CLOSE" and causes frequency response problems?

Evoke

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: 22 May 2016, 02:58 pm »
Positioning question........how close can the evoke speakers be placed to the rear wall before it becomes "TOO CLOSE" and causes frequency response problems?

There is a port on the back of EDDIE. You want to make sure it is not obstructed or the bass response will suffer. 12" should be fine. Other than that, it comes down to the acoustics of your room and positioning to create the sound stage you are looking for. I hope that helps - thanks for your question.  :thumb:

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #19 on: 22 May 2016, 04:43 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle. 

Interesting looking design.  I like the concept.  Any plots with on/off axis measurements? Any experiments with adding a dipole tweeter to increase the soundstage?

Not sure why folks are bothered by the amp suggestion.  Looks like these are clearly not designed for the small SET folks. The nature of a planer 3 way crossover speaker probably means they need some current to achieve realistic dynamic range passages.

I'm curious about the drivers.  Are they proprietary, or sourced? If sourced, what brand(s)?

Are you selling direct from the web only, or adding dealers?  Coming to Capital Audiofest?