Your Best Butt Kickin' Amp is ??

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Your Best Butt Kickin' Amp is ??
« on: 17 May 2017, 04:19 am »
Klaus,

I'm revisiting Odyssey Audio. It's been a while since I looked. What is your best amp?

I may soon own a pair of 96.5dB speakers. I've got a nice 6SN7 tube preamp. Whaddya got?

Thanks,

Michael

klaus@odyssey

Re: Your Best Butt Kickin' Amp is ??
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2017, 04:40 am »
What's your speakers ????

mresseguie

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2017, 07:11 am »
Quite possibly XXXXX XXXXX speakers. [Sorry. I'll explain in my email.]
« Last Edit: 18 May 2017, 05:39 am by mresseguie »

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2017, 07:36 am »
That would be a very nice match indeed...Stereo or monos ????

Also, a better way to get ahold of me is through my email...  odav@odysseyaudio.com

Late,

Klaus

mresseguie

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2017, 08:56 am »
I almost did that....distracted, I guess.  :oops:

Tomorrow..

DEP14

« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2017, 01:32 am »
I would be interested to know this also... I know it's a Kismit (regardless of case).

But would love to see how your "Best" amp (monoblock) is spec'd (transformer size, types of outputs, total caps / capacity...)  What one would expect for output (8 and 4 ohm) dampening factor etc...

I apologize as I went to the website, if it's there I couldn't find it.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2017, 02:12 am »
Quite possibly XXXXX XXXXX speakers. [Sorry. I'll explain in my email.]
Probably these.   :P

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=150333.msg1608396#msg1608396

mresseguie

« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2017, 03:50 am »
They'll definitely be one of those if E3 folks don't respond pretty soon.

JackD

« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2017, 04:24 am »
Michael

While your talking to Klaus about amps you might want to talk to him about the Liquid speakers too.  While your traveling around the US this time a trip to Indy might be warranted or at least to Al Tran's in California. 

AlTran

« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2017, 04:51 am »
Thanks Jack for the recommendation. If you come to southern Cal, please give me a ring.

Michael, if you ever come to Los Angeles, please feel free to reach out to me. I would assume besides Kraus and Alex, I might be the next guy with the most odyssey gears. Kraus said that I'm one of the few who maximizes his gears. I'm afraid I might make you spend more $.

mresseguie

« Reply #10 on: 21 May 2017, 05:03 am »
Hello, Jack. That's you on that other forum, isn't it?

The summer trip to the East Coast came to a screeching halt 25 days ago when my 87 year-old mother fell ill with urinary tract infection (UTI), aspiration pneumonia, and heart failure. Yeah, all three at the same time.  :duh: She very nearly died in the hospital. Now she's out of rehab and back in her assisted living facility. I do not dare dash off for four months. We're about to rent a modest apartment not far from her where we'll stay for about 2 months. Perhaps, if she's fine, we'll sneak off for a short trip somewhere. [Oh, yeah. My father passed in January, so Mom would be mostly alone if I disappear.] I still get to have my life, but I must make sure Mom is well cared for.

As for the Liquid speakers...they need room to breathe and my room in Taiwan does not have the space for that. I've crossed a whole bunch of speakers off my list in the last year because of room limitations. If I were sure I were going to stay in Oregon, my choice of speakers would be huge. In Taiwan, I either go with big name brand speakers like B&W, Focal, Dynaudio, etc. or I opt for specialty/boutique manufacturers on AC and elsewhere. I don't even consider B&W, Focal, etc. in the States. [Am I spoiled?]

I'm mighty tempted to get one of Klaus' best ass kickin' amps to hear for myself what all the excitement is about.

AlTrans posted, "Michael, if you ever come to Los Angeles, please feel free to reach out to me. I would assume besides Kraus and Alex, I might be the next guy with the most odyssey gears. Kraus said that I'm one of the few who maximizes his gears. I'm afraid I might make you spend more $."

Well, refer to what I posted above and you'll understand I'm a bit travel limited for a while. I suspect I'll have made a decision on speakers and amp by the time I have enough confidence to leave my mother's side. However, I do thank you for the offer.  :thumb:

Michael

AlTran

« Reply #11 on: 21 May 2017, 05:42 am »
You are welcome Michael,
I have audition B&W 801&802, Dynaudio C1&C2, Focal Scala, IMO none of them have the emotional level and goose bumps like all of the odyssey speakers that I have including the entry level Epiphany, next Lorelei, Kismets monitors, and currently the Liquids. I assume it must be the synergy that all odyssey gears together just clicked together. For midrange comparison, none of those come close to odyssey. For the high none of those comes close to the berrylium. On the bass section, maybe some of the other is better but it really depended on the type of music, but for the speed, I like the liquids better. At the end it's still come to personal preferences.
Take care and wish your mom gets well soon.

JackD

« Reply #12 on: 21 May 2017, 05:57 am »
Hey Michael

Yes that is probably me on the other forum.  Sorry to hear about your Mom.  We went through something similar with my Mother-in-law right after Thanksgiving.  She fell and damaged her spine and just short of her 90th birthday  was told she couldn't live alone anymore.  When she refused to leave her small town in Pennsylvania and move to Florida we had to scramble to get her placed in an Assisted Living facility and get her house prepared to sell.  It is still an adventure all these months later so I understand where you are coming from. I agree that not knowing where you will ultimately land makes choosing gear difficult. In you situation the best alternatives would seem to be front port, sealed or transmission line speakers and you are right Klaus's designs need room to breath from the back wall.  I own a pair of Lorelei's and that is the case.  If you are a fan at all of the classic BBC sound that permeates the Harbeth and Spendor line you might want to look at the French manufacturer Reynaud.  The entire line is transmission line based and are easy to place in a room.  I have owned four pair over the years and still have a pair in my office.  They are truly honest speakers that just present the emotion of music.  The distributor is Bob Neill, the reviewer for Positive Feedback. 

As to the Odyssey amps, just look at the Kismet in the Khartago case.  Klaus prefers the Mono's and they might be slightly better but the stereo version is hard to beat.

Marbles

« Reply #13 on: 21 May 2017, 11:55 am »
Ask the Big Man about the Symphonic Line Kraft, if you want the best of the best....
At least back in the day they were.