BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

Grit

• - Garrett
Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #780 on: 30 Jan 2014, 08:18 pm »
I have Audeze LCD-2's and have never had any problems. Interesting....

I hate to broach what some consider "snake oil", but perhaps a change in headphone cables?

bjski

« Reply #781 on: 30 Jan 2014, 08:25 pm »
My favorite are the LCD-3,I like Sennhieser's HD800 but they don't have the bass of the LCD-3. My Hifiman He-500 seem heavier than the Audeze.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #782 on: 31 Jan 2014, 04:32 am »
I actually sold my HE-500's to buy the LCD-2's, with which I'm much happier. The HE-500's were very detailed, to the point of disengaging me from the music. Most dramatic example was Michael Jackson's "Thriller". Obviously, there are several synthesized effects within the song. The HE-500's made that synthetic effect VERY obvious. Those sounds and effects felt very "apart" from the music. Heck, some of the instruments sounded "apart", like they were terribly misplaced in the sound stage and of different quality. That is probably accurate, but it wasn't what was intended to be heard by the listener.

The result was that I focused on the inconsistencies in the recording and stopped enjoying the music. The LCD-2's had all of the detail, silkiness, and musicality  I wanted. I literally found myself tapping my toes to the music. I also found them to feel lighter, sit easier around my ears, and be more comfortable in the headband. All of this was with the balanced output of the BHA-1 (BDP-2 -> AES/EBU -> BDA-2 -> unbalanced -> BHA-1. I also find it an unfair comparison; the LCD-2 is several hundred dollars more expensive.

And it wasn't just pop music like Thriller; however, the better the recording, the less pronounced the effect. But the HE-500's never did get me toe-tapping. That said, what sounds pleasing to me may drive someone else nuts.

Roberto135

« Reply #783 on: 16 Feb 2014, 11:24 pm »
Hi, I have any question:
I'm thinking to order a new BHA-1; since I own a MPS-2 (connected to my BP-26), is it better to buy it without internal power supply?
I should like understand if there is a real sonic difference between the two configurations (internal or esternal power supply).
I am also undecided because BHA-1 without internal power supply will be usable only connected to the main system and not independently.

Last question: is price the same?

Regards
Roberto

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #784 on: 16 Feb 2014, 11:54 pm »
Hi, I have any question:
I'm thinking to order a new BHA-1; since I own a MPS-2 (connected to my BP-26), is it better to buy it without internal power supply?
I should like understand if there is a real sonic difference between the two configurations (internal or esternal power supply).
I am also undecided because BHA-1 without internal power supply will be usable only connected to the main system and not independently.

Last question: is price the same?

Regards
Roberto

Hi Roberto

We no longer offer the BHA without internal power supply.  We found external offered no real performance advantage and no real costs savings and the down side is you have to use it with the MPS-2 which limits its use and resale value.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #785 on: 18 Feb 2014, 07:14 pm »
I think the BHA-1 is sensational. I think it is on a level that cannot be superseded and something of a timeless value that can grow with your musical aspirations, experience and your system. If Bryston ever improves upon the design, I might purchase the new model but this one will remain where it is. It is the best piece of equipment I have ever bought.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #786 on: 21 Feb 2014, 03:57 pm »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston BHA-1 Award!

February,  2014

Hi James,

This is award we received yesterday evening for the:

BEST Headphone amplifier chosen by 26.000 readers in Germany!

Best regards,

Edvard
AViTech, Dkfm. Edvard Potisk e. U.
Czerningasse 16
1020 Vienna, Austria

R. Daneel

« Reply #787 on: 22 Feb 2014, 03:48 pm »
SUBJECT: Bryston BHA-1 Award!

February,  2014

Hi James,

This is award we received yesterday evening for the:

BEST Headphone amplifier chosen by 26.000 readers in Germany!

Best regards,

Edvard
AViTech, Dkfm. Edvard Potisk e. U.
Czerningasse 16
1020 Vienna, Austria

Hi James and congratulations!

I have to mention that Mr. Edvard Potisk helpmed me resolved many concerns that I had before setting on Bryston equipment. As a matter of fact, I shall be placing an order for the BDP-2 shortly and will need his assistance once again! He's quite a gentleman and I hope this letter of praise finds it's way back to him. Not that he doesm't know it!

Cheers!
Antun

Vipers

« Reply #788 on: 13 Mar 2014, 06:30 pm »
Congratulations James, the BHA-1 is easily the best Headphone amp I have heard, and we've got a few in here now, and is actually one of my best selling products, it is definitely the amp that any new comers have to go up against.

I have used it with everything from Sennheiser to Grado, Fostex, Audeze, HiFiMan, Beyerdynamic and it gets the best out of every pair of headphones I have tried :)

Well deserved :thumb:

R. Daneel

« Reply #789 on: 23 Mar 2014, 08:07 pm »
Hello!

I have a question for BHA-1 and Sennheiser HD800 owners. I am interested in purchasing this balanced cable:

http://en-de.sennheiser.com/dynamic-headphones-high-end-around-ear-hd-800

It is the Sennheiser CH800S balanced cable that uses a 4-pin XLR connector.

Am I safe to assume this cable is compatible with BHA-1 amplifier? I cannot find a picture of the pin arrangement on the cable anywhere so I do not know whether this will work properly with Sennheiser HD800.

Any comments would be appreciated!
Antun

santacore

« Reply #790 on: 23 Mar 2014, 08:40 pm »
It looks like it should work fine.

alinto

« Reply #791 on: 24 Mar 2014, 02:44 am »
I just recently purchased a bha and hd800. The bryston has both a 4  pin xlr output and 2x 3 pin xlr output (left and right). I am using the 3 pin xlr myself. The sennheiser 4 pin xlr will work with bha.

Zolty

« Reply #792 on: 27 Mar 2014, 03:57 am »
I've recently been using Toxic Cable's Silver Widow headphones cable with 4-pin XLR and everything is OK.  Thinking about purchasing Entreq Challenger for HD-800 - just to 'soften" them a little bit.

Vipers

« Reply #793 on: 2 Apr 2014, 09:30 am »

Am I safe to assume this cable is compatible with BHA-1 amplifier? I cannot find a picture of the pin arrangement on the cable anywhere so I do not know whether this will work properly with Sennheiser HD800.

Any comments would be appreciated!
Antun

Hi Antun,

I also run the Sennheiser balanced cable with HD800's on the BHA-1 and it works perfectly, gives a real nice lift in overall dynamics compared to the stock single ended cable, well worth the money especially if you run a balanced source into the BHA-1 as in my opinion running a fully balanced headphone rig is the way to go if possible.

95Dyna

« Reply #794 on: 4 Apr 2014, 05:12 pm »
See my above post but depending on the output of your pre and if you wish to use it's remote volume control it may be as simple as using the BHA-1 at full gain, I did this with a Bryton .4 pre (no remote) I have on hand with no problems, I did gain the ability to switch between multiple sources and bit of additional gain for low output single ended sources.
The only hurdle is if you switch between inputs on the BHA-1 and if some are direct from sources (especially balanced), just remember to lower the volume on the BHA-1.

If you decide you do not want/need remote volume and your pre has a tape out, use that and then control the volume from the BHA-1, I've tried both set-ups.

I'm thinking of acquiring a BHA-1 and would want to connect to the tape out on my BP26.  Does the volume control on the BHA-1 achieve the same volume at the same setting as it would connected single ended directly to a source component?

Roberto135

« Reply #795 on: 6 Apr 2014, 12:40 pm »
My new BHA-1 is connected as you say (BP 26 tape out). I also tried to connect it to my BDA-2: to my ear the volume level is the same. While You have a higher level of volume if you connect headphone to xrl output instead of unbalanced output.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #796 on: 1 May 2014, 03:53 pm »
SUBJECT: Bryston BHA-1 Headphone Amplifier Review

May 2014

HI Folks,

Stellar review on the Bryston BHA-1 Headphone Amplifier fro Enjoy The Music.Com

Click on link!

www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0514/bryston_bha_1_review.htm

James

Vipers

« Reply #797 on: 2 May 2014, 09:15 am »
Hi Guys,

I have just got the Abyss AB-1266's in here which are the first pair of headphones that I have experienced with single balanced left + right inputs, needless to say the first thing I did was plug them into the BHA-1, yet again the BHA-1 delivered, I have tried them on a couple of other amps but at the moment the Abyss + BHA-1 is a winning combo and pretty much the best headphone rig I have ever heard :thumb:

SHV

« Reply #798 on: 3 May 2014, 01:28 am »
~$5500 USD in the US!!   I get chest pains thinking what the cost is in the UK or Eurozone.

Steve

MellowVelo

« Reply #799 on: 31 Jul 2014, 05:42 pm »
Hi James,

I'm wondering if it's possible to order the BHA-1 with custom gain settings (lower than the current levels). Thanks!