No Hypex AMP for PS Audio

OzarkTom

Re: No Hypex AMP for PS Audio
« Reply #20 on: 6 Apr 2014, 08:56 am »
Ah, this week it seems to be www dot pstracks dot com/pauls-posts/i-never-thought-id-write-this/13733/"]tubes...

No doubt, it will be a tube input with  MOSFET outputs,similar to the Moscode amps from the 80's.

bacobits1

« Reply #21 on: 6 Apr 2014, 01:15 pm »
I'm getting "link removed for virus warning" from that link provided. ????

http://[link removed because of virus warning.

http://[link removed because of virus warning. Go to:] www dot pstracks dot com/pauls-posts/i-never-thought-id-write-this/13733/

OzarkTom

« Reply #22 on: 6 Apr 2014, 01:30 pm »
All of PS Audio links say that for some reason. This is what was in Paul's email of today said.

I never thought I’d write this

Funny how life throws you curve balls.  I just got a curve ball, a left hook and a knockout punch delivered to me in one swell foop.  I can’t believe I am writing this.

As some of you may know, after three attempts at designing a power amplifier to beat all other power amplifiers made, I threw in the towel and hired my dear friend Bascom King to see what he could do.  Bascom is one of the best designers on the planet.  Bascom agreed, the work’s begun.

The original idea was an all MOSFET design, using the zero feedback, high voltage input stage I designed, the outputs configured anew by the good Dr. King (as he’s known).  All that changed with my last visit to Arnie Nudell’s home.

While working on the final voicing for DirectStream with Arnie (which, by the way is finally finished), we got to talking about the new amp over lunch.  Describing the circuitry to Arnie, he said something to me that has changed the course of this design, PS Audio and me personally forever.

“Why don’t you man up and put a vacuum tube in the front end?”  Oh lord.  I love the sound of vacuum tubes, always have, but never had the courage to step up and put one in a PS Audio product.  We’ve been hardcore solid state for over 40 years.

“If you really want to build a power amplifier that is the best in the world, one that truly matches DirectStream, you’ll do what you know is right.”  Arnie’s like that.  He makes sense.

And so it is.  I still can’t believe I am writing this.  When we approached Bascom with the decision he nearly fell over.  ”That was easy, I was afraid to even suggest it.  It’s the right thing to do if you want to make an amp to beat all others.”

And so it is.

cab

« Reply #23 on: 6 Apr 2014, 01:36 pm »

....after three attempts at designing a power amplifier to beat all other power amplifiers made, I threw in the towel

Again, how seriously can you take this when he chose the UcD over the superior ncore? More PS Audio marketing blather I am afraid...I threw in the towel on PS Audio quite some time ago....

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #24 on: 6 Apr 2014, 01:39 pm »
I don't see how any of this is relevant to this circle anymore. 

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 6 Apr 2014, 01:45 pm »
I'm with you, Cab. He delivers a parable and some tried and true name dropping to make everything exciting again .............. but there is no sign of anything but talk, and it is very unoriginal talk at that. He can't do much without HP propping him up in print. Is that still happening, by the way?

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 12 May 2014, 09:31 pm »
Again, how seriously can you take this when he chose the UcD over the superior ncore? More PS Audio marketing blather I am afraid...I threw in the towel on PS Audio quite some time ago....

Very seriously.  I used to work with Paul at PS Audio, and while I admit that sometimes he is a little too free with using hyperbole, he does listen, and he does care about good sound.
As far as why he did not use NC-1200, it is because the price of the modules, places a stereo amp in at least the 5 figure territory (and unlike Merrill and Atsah, PS would not use the stock module, they would add their own input stage, raising the price further), and PS Audio does not make products at that price level.  They try and provide high value high end sound.  I suspect the new amp, when it finally arrives, will provide very very good sonic performance, at a very fair price.  I would not dismiss this project until you have a chance to listen.
BTW, try listening to a PS Audio Classic 250 amplifier sometime.  They did not make that many, but they are very good amps.

cab

« Reply #27 on: 12 May 2014, 10:31 pm »
Very seriously.  I used to work with Paul at PS Audio, and while I admit that sometimes he is a little too free with using hyperbole, he does listen, and he does care about good sound.
As far as why he did not use NC-1200, it is because the price of the modules, places a stereo amp in at least the 5 figure territory (and unlike Merrill and Atsah, PS would not use the stock module, they would add their own input stage, raising the price further), and PS Audio does not make products at that price level.  They try and provide high value high end sound.  I suspect the new amp, when it finally arrives, will provide very very good sonic performance, at a very fair price.  I would not dismiss this project until you have a chance to listen.
BTW, try listening to a PS Audio Classic 250 amplifier sometime.  They did not make that many, but they are very good amps.

That's all good and well, but he actually said this new amp would be an assault on the state of the art, a no-holds barred, world class, blah blah blah. He didn't make any qualifiers about "at a certain price point". If he would have said something along the lines of "the best sub $10K amp", I wouldn't have made the comments I have made. He didn't, thus my comments.

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: 13 May 2014, 12:00 am »
cab: Like I said, Paul is a little too loose with the hyperbole!  In any case, I expect the new amp, if and when it becomes a reality, will deliver fantastic sonic performance at a very fair price.
Will this amplifier equal the absolute best available, well I doubt that many here would even agree what that is!  I know if price and power consumption were not limitations for me, I would be very interested in owning top level Vitus Class A monoblocks...

cab

« Reply #29 on: 13 May 2014, 02:14 am »
cab: Like I said, Paul is a little too loose with the hyperbole! 

Exactly and why I gave up on BS Audio some time ago. All the marketing turns me off.