Musical Paradise MP-D2 AK4490 XMOS Balanced DAC DSD DOP 384Khz

rajacat

• Washington State
Re: Musical Paradise MP-D2 AK4490 XMOS Balanced DAC DSD DOP 384Khz
« Reply #200 on: 25 Feb 2020, 06:57 pm »
I recently upgraded my MP-D2 MK-1 to the MP-D3 Deluxe. For those with the MK-1 this is a fantastic upgrade at a very reasonable price. I also upgraded the USB board and splurged for the Crystek clock.
This upgrade has taken a very good DAC to another level with much better separation, detail, PRAT and transparency. I stuck with the AK4490 and it sounds great but looking forward to trying the ES9038 PRO and the new AK4499.
If you're on the fence about this upgrade just go for it; you won't regret it, it's a game changer.

displayname

« Reply #201 on: 25 Feb 2020, 09:20 pm »
I recently upgraded my MP-D2 MK-1 to the MP-D3 Deluxe. For those with the MK-1 this is a fantastic upgrade at a very reasonable price. I also upgraded the USB board and splurged for the Crystek clock.
This upgrade has taken a very good DAC to another level with much better separation, detail, PRAT and transparency. I stuck with the AK4490 and it sounds great but looking forward to trying the ES9038 PRO and the new AK4499.
If you're on the fence about this upgrade just go for it; you won't regret it, it's a game changer.
Out of curiosity, has the power supply and main casing changed at all since the MK-1? I know all the boards can be swapped out, which isn't too hard. And I know the MK-3 got some larger tube openings on the top, but that's about it right?

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #202 on: 25 Feb 2020, 10:47 pm »
Anyone in the DC area have a MP-D2 MK3 they would demo? The shipping from/possible return to China is not inviting.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #203 on: 25 Feb 2020, 11:29 pm »
Out of curiosity, has the power supply and main casing changed at all since the MK-1? I know all the boards can be swapped out, which isn't too hard. And I know the MK-3 got some larger tube openings on the top, but that's about it right?
Go to http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=97 for a list of improvements over earlier versions. However, some of the changes aren't listed and the site should be made current.
There are some other forums in which the details and mods of the MK-3 are discussed extensively.

deuter

« Reply #204 on: 16 Mar 2020, 11:44 pm »
All,

I have recently ordered the MP-D2 with Sabre Chip, wanted to know what options there were with the output and rectifier tube upgrades to get a warm organic holographic sound without loosing detail.

yakbob

« Reply #205 on: 17 Mar 2020, 10:59 pm »
All,

I have recently ordered the MP-D2 with Sabre Chip, wanted to know what options there were with the output and rectifier tube upgrades to get a warm organic holographic sound without loosing detail.

It sounds like you should have gone with one of the AKM chips instead of Sabre since they're closer to the sound qualities you're after.  :cry:

The output tubes have a greater impact on sound in this dac (in my experience). Perhaps NOS Amperex tubes here.
For rectifier tubes, a NOS Mullard GZ34...rare, and pricy. For new tubes, I've been happy with the Psvane 5U4G.

deuter

« Reply #206 on: 18 Mar 2020, 09:42 am »
It sounds like you should have gone with one of the AKM chips instead of Sabre since they're closer to the sound qualities you're after.  :cry:

The output tubes have a greater impact on sound in this dac (in my experience). Perhaps NOS Amperex tubes here.
For rectifier tubes, a NOS Mullard GZ34...rare, and pricy. For new tubes, I've been happy with the Psvane 5U4G.

I did ask Garry, and said I might prefer the AKM but he advised against it saying of my system sounded analytical and dry then you need AKM.

deuter

« Reply #207 on: 18 Mar 2020, 09:45 am »

I do have Ampherex 6922's in my headphone amp, or should I get the highly recommended: 6H30Pi Electro Harmonix gold pin

JackD

« Reply #208 on: 20 Mar 2020, 01:18 am »
If you're looking for any sort of warmth to the sound I would stay away from the 6H30 tubes.  What I would suggest having owned a Mk I and now a Mk III Deluxe is to concentrate on finding a good NOS rectifier tube and it isn't required that it be an expensive NOS Blackburn Mullard.  In fact the Japanese Matsushita 5AR4 tube that Andy at VTS sells for under $70 is a great alternative.  It was built in the Japanese Matsushita tube plant that was setup and tooled by Mullard.  Other alternatives that I like are the 5R4 and the 5AS4 tubes from RCA.

The supplied 6H4 tubes supplied by Garry with the unit are actually quit good and are the sister tube to the 6H30 and designed for Audio use unlike the 6H30 which was an industrial tube made popular by Victor from BAT as it was cheap for him to buy in bulk.  I tried close to two dozen 6 and 7 volt tube combos plus multiple NOS 6N23 tubes and ended up back with the supplied tubes.  The worst sounding to me was the EH 6H30. So I would suggest you get the NOS rectifier and then break in the unit with the supplied input tubes and give them a chance.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #209 on: 20 Mar 2020, 02:58 am »
I use the sovtek 6h30pi which sounds quite nice.

deuter

« Reply #210 on: 26 Mar 2020, 12:09 am »
If you're looking for any sort of warmth to the sound I would stay away from the 6H30 tubes.  What I would suggest having owned a Mk I and now a Mk III Deluxe is to concentrate on finding a good NOS rectifier tube and it isn't required that it be an expensive NOS Blackburn Mullard.  In fact the Japanese Matsushita 5AR4 tube that Andy at VTS sells for under $70 is a great alternative.  It was built in the Japanese Matsushita tube plant that was setup and tooled by Mullard.  Other alternatives that I like are the 5R4 and the 5AS4 tubes from RCA.

The supplied 6H4 tubes supplied by Garry with the unit are actually quit good and are the sister tube to the 6H30 and designed for Audio use unlike the 6H30 which was an industrial tube made popular by Victor from BAT as it was cheap for him to buy in bulk.  I tried close to two dozen 6 and 7 volt tube combos plus multiple NOS 6N23 tubes and ended up back with the supplied tubes.  The worst sounding to me was the EH 6H30. So I would suggest you get the NOS rectifier and then break in the unit with the supplied input tubes and give them a chance.

I have ordered the upgraded rectifier from Garry, do I need to look at alternatives?

JackD

« Reply #211 on: 26 Mar 2020, 01:22 am »
If you ordered one of Garry's NOS US made 5U4 rectifiers then you are good.  Whether or not you want to hit Ebay or other Australian sellers to try alternatives is up to you.  Each of the 5 volt varieties on the list are fine and all sound slightly different from each other.  But sadly the days of being able to find a new alternative in the $20 range just to try it out are gone. I own at least one of all the alternatives and for many of them multiples but as I bought most of them years ago I have very little in them so I can just swap them around.  Give the 5U4G you bought from Garry several hundred hours to break in before you start swapping things around so you have a solid baseline to work from.  You may in fact find you like things the way they are like I did.  In the end it's all about what your ears like and not what the forums like especially since most giving you buying advice have never seen or heard the gear in question much less had it in their own system.

deuter

« Reply #212 on: 30 Mar 2020, 01:55 am »
The DAC was delivered yesterday, noticed the output via balanced is lower than my previous audio gd dac.
Will changing the output tubes increase the output level?
Not that its a big issue, I'd rather get the sound signature right than have it play louder.

It looks spectacular, the RCA rectifier is nice and very clean looking for being NOS.
I got the DAC with the femto clock USB input and the Sabre chip.

JackD

« Reply #213 on: 30 Mar 2020, 04:16 am »
Changing the tubes will have no bearing on the gain of 5 volts.  The AudioGd is probably 6 volts like a lot of Chinese gear.  The general standard is 4 volts so they are both over. If in the end the Sabre chip is not to your liking or if you just want to change it up you can order the AKM chips from Garry and swap them out yourself. 

deuter

« Reply #214 on: 30 Mar 2020, 04:23 am »
I was recommended the Sabre Chip, I was concerned it might be  little too clinical.
So far the sound signature is very mellow so no need to change.

deuter

« Reply #215 on: 30 Mar 2020, 09:32 am »
Some pictures of the setup.

Tubeburner

« Reply #216 on: 30 Mar 2020, 05:36 pm »
Just a suggestion, buy some socket savers and you can roll tubes without pulling the lid and it allows for ST shaped rectifiers with the extra height. You can see your tubes lit up at night too. Just a FYI.

Warmer sound can be had with Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil caps. Running balanced will be more expensive unfortunately.

Read Dubstep Girl post about rectifiers here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dubstep-girls-massive-5ar4-5r4-5u4g-r

Beware, you will want to try many different rectifiers. I did.

Very enjoyable dac. I may buy another one some day.

deuter

« Reply #217 on: 30 Mar 2020, 07:26 pm »
Just a suggestion, buy some socket savers and you can roll tubes without pulling the lid and it allows for ST shaped rectifiers with the extra height. You can see your tubes lit up at night too. Just a FYI.

Warmer sound can be had with Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil caps. Running balanced will be more expensive unfortunately.

Read Dubstep Girl post about rectifiers here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dubstep-girls-massive-5ar4-5r4-5u4g-r

Beware, you will want to try many different rectifiers. I did.

Very enjoyable dac. I may buy another one some day.

What tubes savers will be compatible.
Any link to buy the sockets.

deuter

« Reply #218 on: 30 Mar 2020, 07:29 pm »
Which one from this website for the socket savers.

https://www.evatco.com.au/tubes-sockets/

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #219 on: 30 Mar 2020, 07:58 pm »
I just ordered this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076GT5X4X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I've been on a rectifier rolling tear.
I'm burning in a Brimar 5R4GY presently.
Others in rotation are:
USAF 596
Bendix 6106
Bendix 5852
Burn-in gets to be tedious after awhile. I'm looking forward to settling on a rectifier for the long run. I made the mistake of building a new power cord and engaging in the long burn-in while trying to decide on a rectifier tube. They both affect the sound and it is easily audible.