LGKs Finished and Onward!

VinceT, corndog71 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Read 185 times.

BlindFalcon

LGKs Finished and Onward!
« on: Yesterday at 06:45 pm »
I finally got the time to finish the LGK 2.0s.  I ended up finishing them the same way I did the Encores, so black cherry I guess.  I placed them on top of the Encores to do a side by side (top to bottom?) comparison. 

Do they sound good?  I guess the best way to explain it is, my wife came in and asked which speakers were playing.  It was the LGKs, but it was a vocal where they shine.  And to be honest, they do sound good, but it's an unfair comparison with the Encores.  So I moved them to where they belong, the desktop system, and used the Vidar as an amp.  These little speakers really to like some power and I feel like they need to be driven pretty hard even in near field listing, although they do seem to be opening up.  I think I may move them farther away and add a sub, even if just for the exercise.

So where to next?  I already bought the Double Trouble subs and I'm really looking forward to hearing the Encores with expanded bass.  I'm also looking forward to finishing them differently, veneer?  And I may continue with more Schiit, add another Vidar so I have something to run the "listening room (living room) system," and the desktop system for now, then purchase a Freya and run them as mono blocks when the double troubles are finished.  Or, maybe it's time to rethink the front end.  I'm guessing once the double troubles are finished I'll carry on in the GR Research ecosystem with a pair of NX Studios.  So, any ideas are appreciated.  I'm really enjoying this hobby and I'm learning a lot!

AK-Grwn_v2

Re: LGKs Finished and Onward!
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 11:21 pm »
They look great! I went with the lgk 2.1s for my desktop set-up. They are quite amazing.

Here are some tweaks I have made since to finish off the office build:

***Edit add: I forgot the most important tweak I did. I raised the 2.1s on a pair of the GR mini stands to get the speakers off the desk. These got the drivers right at ear level for when I sit at the desk. With the 2.0s this might work for you or perhaps a stand a few in taller. ***

Schiit jotunheim w/ multi bit dac- preamp and headphone amp (this has both balanced and unbalanced outs so I can run schiit amps in mono or use adaptor to run the balanced out to a sub)
Schiit gjallarhorn amp, just a single running in stereo. Plenty of power for my needs atm. (I did try the schiit rekkr, stereo and mono, those were a no-go)

I looked around and around for a diy sub that was comparable price point to these speakers, but found none. So I went with an emotiva xs 8, which are currently on close out sale)

Blue jeans speaker cable. Schiit pyst rcas for the amp and sub feeds. Stock power cords, for now.

Apple AV Out adapter to get digital signal stream from phone to preamp/dac.

—————————-

Anyone know of a low cost head phone with a balanced cable? The jotunheim has a balanced headphone out I want to try.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:07 am »
Re: a sub for the LGK's, here's the sub kit I got for my son and his setup with the 2.1's:

https://www.parts-express.com/Powered-Dayton-Audio-Ultimax-8-Micro-Subwoofer-Kit-300-Watts-300-7330?quantity=1

Only thing is I bought it for him as a Christmas present and so it's in storage for a few months.  Looking at the kit in the box, it's clearly very well built and a very high quality driver and amp. 

BlindFalcon

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:00 am »
Thanks for the suggestions!  Both of those subs are "right" priced on sale, and I'd probably lean towards the kit, although with the double troubles to build, getting something on line sooner rather than later appeals to me.  Good to hear the Gjallarhorn is strong enough for the LGKs, as it probably fits the desktop system a little better, and it certainly is a good price.  Just don't know how easy it would be to add the sub to it.  Like I said, it sure is fun figuring this all out.

AK-Grwn_v2

« Reply #4 on: Today at 05:17 am »
What I was originally lookin for in a sub was something tiny like the little tang-band 3in subs. Where I could build something that the LGKs could actually sit on and be a proper height on the desk. Desk space is a premium and I don’t want the subs at my feet.

I ended up cheating. The shape of my office has plenty of space behind the desk. I just added a small table and put the sub directly behind the monitors. Once decided on that I got lazy and just bought the emo sub as they were on sale at the time rather than keep looking for something to build.