My Strat

pjchappy

My Strat
« on: 1 Dec 2003, 10:30 pm »
Well, here are a couple of pictures of my Strat (mexican std.)  The sad thing is, the last 3-years while in law school, I barely touched it.  I really regret that.  I need to take it in to get adjusted before I pick it up again.

I got this 4 or 5 years ago as a Christmas present. . .I was blown away.  It is really beautiful and I miss playing it.

p

jackman

My Strat
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2003, 10:44 pm »
Cool Axe!  I have a Strat and will post pix on my gallery one of these days.  Mine is a Japanese '69 reissue with the big Jimi headstock and a very lightweight swamp ash body with three color burst and a maple neck.  Looks a lot like yours.  I like it but it has a 7.25 radius neck so it's a bit curved and difficult to play after playing my flatter Gibson style Heritage or Martin Acoustic.  

One of the things I hope to do more in the upcoming year is committ myself to playing my guitar more.  I used to play every day and have fallen off track.  Seeing your guitar really reminds me how much I miss playing mine.

J

pjchappy

My Strat
« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2003, 11:01 pm »
Yeah. . .I really miss playing.  It does look much better in person.

Anyways, my 1st semester of my senior year in college, I took a classical guitar class.  I learned fingerpicking, which IMO is extremely beneficial.  I am definitely an amature player and when I think of how good I can be if I played during law school, it just makes me mad.  

I also need a better amp. . .I just have a cheap Fender practice amp which really doesn't sound too good.  

As for my adjustments, the tremolo isn't level with the body.  I don't know if it needs new springs or what, but I need to take it in.  It doesn't keep it's tune as a result.  I used to hardly ever have to tune it.  I would pick it up, check its tune, and it would be perfect.  Now, it goes out of tune pretty easily.

Once I get a little money, I also want to do some DIY mods. . .new pick-ups, etc. and experiment w/ its sound.

p

jackman

My Strat
« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2003, 11:26 pm »
I use all five springs and never use the trem.  Some people "block" the trem by putting a block of wood in the spot of the springs.  It disables the trem but you never have to worry about going out of tune when you break a string.  I don't like this approach because it loses some of the strat sound.  

I hate the trem, unless I'm messing around, because it always knocks my guitar out of tune.  As a result, I never use it.  I'll probably sell this guitar to buy an I-Pod because it spends most of its time in the case.  The Jap reissues are regarded as the best for the money because they are made from solid wood, not veneered like many of the US models (until recently, I"m told).  The veneer is not bad, but the glue deadens the tone of the wood.  Every time I think about selling it, I take it from the case, dust if off and play for a while...and change my mind.  The Strat is like a beautiful woman with all of the curves.  Sexy guitar.

I have a first year reissue Danelectro DC-59, in purple metalic, that I play more than any of my guitars.  It cost about 150 bucks brand new and never goes out of tune.  It also is semi-hollow and doesnt need an amp to make noise.   I used to practice on the couch every day, listening to music and playing along (or trying in most cases).  I sanded off that nasty synthetic paint from the back of the Danelectro with some really fine sandpaper and the neck is really nice maple.  Plays much better, but it looks a bit distressed.  The first generation reissue Danelectros were made by Samic and are very solid guitars with excellent fretwork.  The lipstick pickups are very twangy and it sounds a bit like a Strat in the bridge position.  Both pickups in series sounds a bit like a humbucker (okay, not too much), but I usually play it in the bridge position.

I have to post some shots.  

J

pjchappy

My Strat
« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2003, 11:43 pm »
Yeah. . .you definitely need to post some shots. . .

Here are some pics of the tremolo. . . it is supposed to be level w/ the body, isn't it?  

I couldn't get the digital to focus on it, but here are the best ones. . .see how the tremolo is not even?  I really never even used the damn thing. . .the handle hasn't been on it in years.  Do you know anymore about this kinda stuff?

The screws on the tremolo also need to be adjusted (to adjust string height). . .I found something online to do this, but I don't think I did it right.  I did adjust the neck screw a few years ago b/c of a slight bend in the neck.  I just have no experience in these things, so I just have to get my butt to the guitar shop.

p

jackman

My Strat
« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2003, 11:53 pm »
Nope, the trem can be set up with the back section away from the body slightly.  Mine was set up like that at one time.  If it goes out of tune a lot, try setting it up with all five strings in the trem (back of guitar), and put some soap (or powdered graphite) on the strings in the headstock.  Those little string guides are often the culprets that cause some strings to go out of tune.  They catch on the strings slightly and cause problems.  Those screws on the back of the bridge are for adjusting intonation, not raising strings off neck.  

Take it in to a good independent guitar shop and they will help you out.  Get it completely set up by a good guitar tech.  They will adjust the bridge, intonation, truss rod, throw a good set of strings on it, etc.  It's worth the money, unless you know what you are doing.  Too bad you live so far away, there are several good tech's in Chicago.  Strats are almost indestructable, however they need to be set up properly or else they are no fun.

J

pjchappy

My Strat
« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2003, 01:14 am »
I just remember the tremolo not being set up like that before.  As for the intonation. . . I adjusted that a few years ago. . . I thought I remember it being for string height. . .I got some measurements and did it. . . Yeah. . .I definitely need to take it in. . .the place my parents bought it in KC is a good place. . .I just need to get out there.

Thanks!

p

jackman

My Strat
« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec 2003, 02:44 am »
It's okay for the trem to be away from the body at the rear end, however if you are saying it's not pulling away paralell from the body, you may have a problem.   My strat bridge floats a bit, however the strings are all the same distance from the fretboard.  Sometimes when I have an effect on like an autowah or echo, I'll hit the bridge with a closed fist to make a strange sound.  It doesn't knock the guitar out of tune and sounds a bit strange.  Try it!  It won't break your strat.

J

pjchappy

My Strat
« Reply #8 on: 2 Dec 2003, 03:04 am »
What kind of amp are you using.  My dad told me he saw a tubed Marshal amp on an auction site really cheap awhile back.  Should have just told him to bid on it, regardless of the model. . .as I said, my amp sucks.

p

jackman

My Strat
« Reply #9 on: 2 Dec 2003, 03:21 am »
I gotta go, but I'm ampless at the moment.  Have owned several cool amps, however never owned a Marshall.  Always liked Fender amps.  Just save up and get one of those modeling amps that has a headphone output for practice late at night

Later,
JK

Hantra

My Strat
« Reply #10 on: 2 Dec 2003, 03:29 am »
Get it completely set up by a good guitar tech.

Good advice. .  I just had mine setup, and wow!  I bought a Deluxe Super Strat. .   But I had to replace the gay pickguard.  A black strat should have a white pickguard.  That should be decreed when Eric Clapton is finally elected god.  ;-)

I'll have to post some pics too.  Got a Line6 Flextone.  It's a little TOO versatile. .  ;-)

B

guitarspanker

Strat stuff
« Reply #11 on: 4 Dec 2003, 06:56 pm »
Dudes,

I've had a US-made '57 reissue 2-tone sunburst Strat since 1983 (it was a pricey $945 back then!!). Here's a recommendation for using whammy and staying in tune - get yourself a set of Sperzel tuners. They are locking tuners and run about $55-$65 a set and they make 'em for in-line (strat-type) headstocks and side-by-side (Les Paul style) headstocks. Your guitar will not stay in perfect tune if you go nuts (dive bomb) on the whammy but you can at least use it for nice tremolo effect or note-bending without worrying about going horrendously out of tune.

I also have a '68 (NOT reissue!) blackface Super Reverb amp. I wouldn't sell either the gtr or amp for any amount of money!

Later,
Scott