Philadelphia Guitar Show

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Philadelphia Guitar Show
« on: 9 Nov 2013, 11:53 pm »
I just got back from the Philadelphia Guitar Show and if you're into guitars this is well worth going to.
It's guitar overload as there's just SO MUCH stuff there.
It was fun to spend a day bopping around with Lenny Kaye (Patti Smith Group) and I also bumped into another old buddy, Steve DeFranco, who specializes in vintage Rickenbachers so it was a good time.
No real bargains but one thing that really struck me is how thin the necks on the 60's Firebirds were; the ones that I owned were from around 2007 and the necks were fairly wide and flat.  I would have thought Gibson would have kept the same profile but nope.

Ericus Rex

Re: Philadelphia Guitar Show
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2013, 12:37 am »
Did you take any pics?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2013, 10:31 am »
I stupidly did not bring my camera.
Next year I'll take the truck instead of a motorcycle so I'm not half frozen to death
I'll leave earlier so I'll have more time and
I'll bring a camera.
It's a two day event and I think you'd need the whole two days to really see everything there.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2013, 11:06 am »
I wanted to go this year, but could not.  I am going to go next year for both days.  Would be a fun time!

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 10 Nov 2013, 12:19 pm »
It made me pick up the guitar again this morning.
It's a good thing I don't own any credit cards or else I'd be in big trouble today!
A couple of 60s Firebirds, this one SG, a gold top Les Paul, a couple of ES335s and what else...

The word for that show is overwhelming. 
There was also a reptile show going on next door so it was kind of like I died and went to window shopping heaven.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2013, 05:56 pm »
It made me pick up the guitar again this morning.
It's a good thing I don't own any credit cards or else I'd be in big trouble today!
A couple of 60s Firebirds, this one SG, a gold top Les Paul, a couple of ES335s and what else...

The word for that show is overwhelming. 
There was also a reptile show going on next door so it was kind of like I died and went to window shopping heaven.

Good prices on that vintage stuff or current market value?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2013, 08:13 pm »
Asking prices seemed to be current market, I would guess.
Everything that caught my fancy was in the $2000-4000 dollar range.
I really couldn't tell just how much business was actually being done.  Perhaps everyone does their buying at the end of the show when the vendors don't want to have to drag the stuff back home and are willing to haggle.