MiniDSP hd and REW for subs

guf

MiniDSP hd and REW for subs
« on: 26 Mar 2020, 10:44 pm »
Took me 24 hours to get some measurements.  My goal is to get some bass management using MiniDSP hd. But preserving the main speakers main analog signal. I connected the MiniDSP into my amp directly. I adjusted the levels of  my 2 subs and main speakers at the listening position to 75dbs.  Then I followed the step by step to setting up a sub from the MiniDSP page. I turned the settings to max and did some sweeps. I imported the Autoeq from REW into miniDSP. I followed the generic settings for the crossover settings.  I unplugged and played some music. I now have from my preamp rca to the MiniDSP into the powered subs, and another set going into my amp and to my speakers.

The volume on the subs and now on the 9-10 o'clock position compared 1-2 o'clock previously.  Does this mean i had my subs way too loud before? I'm pretty clueless about what i did and how i got to where i am.  I'm just happy to be playing music after a night of just trying to run sweeps with REW.  I'll post some pics of my sweeps because i know they are loved. 

Any thoughts or suggestions from someone experienced with MiniDSP and Rythmik subs?
Thanks!

guf

Re: MiniDSP hd and REW for subs
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2020, 11:04 pm »

day 2

« Last Edit: 28 Mar 2020, 05:22 am by guf »

mcallister

« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2020, 09:32 am »
Did you time align the subs to the mains? Where do you have the crossed over at?

guf

« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2020, 12:33 pm »
I didn’t. But I was looking into trying to figure that out.I did some playing around last night and I raised my crossover points to 125 and 90. I have a rhythmik F8 and f12. After a few hours of experimenting I ended up just loading my first profile back. I’m excited to try some more options.

mcallister

« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2020, 02:18 pm »
Do a search for “how to time align multiple subs with minidsp 2x4”, I think it’s also on minidsp’s website. The article is for the non-HD version but it’s the same process for the HD.

From your graph it looks like if you get things time aligned you will improve your response immensely.

guf

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2020, 10:31 pm »
thanks, I'm going to get into it tonight. 

guf

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2020, 10:41 pm »

I adjusted the phase on my plate amps and was able to get rid of most of the dip in the 50-60 range. Then sent it through Auto EQ in REW. I'm still not sure what i'm doing but the line looks better.  Sounds good.  I had to turn volume up a bit on both.
Something confusing was that when I went to set the crossovers in MiniDSP the measurement was not as flat. So i left it on bypass.

mcallister

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2020, 06:23 pm »
Where are your subs located in your room? The crossover probably messed with the phase some. Looking better but you could still get it flatter. What are you crossing over at again? Or you are just slitting signal? You are using two different subs correct? If so and from the graphs I think the subs just need aligned better.

That being said if you eq down 20 to 35Hz you can flatten the line more, I like a rising house curve like you have however so maybe not completely flatten it.

Also the dip at around 80Hz looks like phase is off at crossover if indeed crossing at 80Hz which can be easily remedied.

guf

« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2020, 02:34 pm »
thanks! for the suggestions. i'll play around with it again today.