Bryston BDP-1 Sneak Peak for Audiocircle

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston BDP-1 Sneak Peak for Audiocircle
« Reply #240 on: 26 Jul 2010, 07:37 pm »
Hi James

You posted a silver combo, is there any chance to post a black combo?

Hi werd,

Yes they will be available in black - these are just prototypes for internal purposes and testing.

james

KeithA

« Reply #241 on: 27 Jul 2010, 12:07 am »
Hi Nikon,

I am hoping end of August for first production run.  We are still playing with the back panel and the internals.

Here is a shot in engineering of the BDP-1 and the BDA-1.

james

Now you know posting pictures like that means I'm going to have to get one...whether I need it or not  :wink:

Too early to place an order yet??  :)

Keith

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #242 on: 27 Jul 2010, 12:11 am »
Hi Keith,

Yes I know it's tempting :drool: - we still have some work to do but I am very happy so far with the performance.

james

john1970

« Reply #243 on: 27 Jul 2010, 12:12 am »
Yes we are playing with the idea of 4 USB inputs instead of 3.

james

James,

I think the idea of having two USB inputs on the front (as well as the back) of the unit is a good decision.

Best,

John

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #244 on: 27 Jul 2010, 12:17 am »
James,

I think the idea of having two USB inputs on the front (as well as the back) of the unit is a good decision.

Best,

John

Hi John - we were discussing that today and I thought maybe 4 was too many.  Given that you can buy 1TB USB drives now 3 may be more than plenty. 

james

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #245 on: 27 Jul 2010, 09:39 am »
What about a USB-B connection? Or a Firewire connection?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #246 on: 27 Jul 2010, 09:58 am »
What about a USB-B connection? Or a Firewire connection?

No we are sticking with USB - truely I am "connectored out"

james

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #247 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:26 am »
No we are sticking with USB - truely I am "connectored out"

james

Hmm... Interesting, since there only is a USB-B connection on the BDA-1, and no USB-A, which will be the only connection on the BDP-1...

sfraser

« Reply #248 on: 27 Jul 2010, 11:26 am »

Hi John - we were discussing that today and I thought maybe 4 was too many.  Given that you can buy 1TB USB drives now 3 may be more than plenty. 

james

James if you have more than one source drive connected, will the menu list the song titles by source, or list them all as one source?

Cheers

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #249 on: 27 Jul 2010, 12:21 pm »
James if you have more than one source drive connected, will the menu list the song titles by source, or list them all as one source?

Cheers

Hi,

We are trying to allow it to list by source in the software.

james

Napalm

« Reply #250 on: 27 Jul 2010, 02:30 pm »
Hmm... Interesting, since there only is a USB-B connection on the BDA-1, and no USB-A, which will be the only connection on the BDP-1...

There are cables in all possible combinations of end connectors so IMHO this is a non-issue.

However missing in action are Firewire and HDMI. And eSATA would give the BDP-1 more control over the local attached disk.

Nap.

Marius

« Reply #251 on: 28 Jul 2010, 05:56 pm »
Hi Keith,

Yes I know it's tempting :drool: - we still have some work to do but I am very happy so far with the performance.

james

Hi James,
Sorry for the non relevant quote, but could't find a relevant one in the short time I got to know this forum....

My question/wish would be if the system would be Itunes compatible. Having a terabyte nas could also be an Itunes collection of lossless files? the combi Apple-remote app on the Itouch/itunes collection on macbook pro/ airtunes works like a charm, and it would be very nice to get it to work with a system that actually sounds good......meaning a wired bryston system, but with the convenience of the itunes system.

Other thing: the br2 would be the desired remote?

last thing design-wise: the positioning of leds and displays could/should/would be aligned as much as possible with the dac and the cd-player? Any thoughts on that?

Thanx, and let me take the opportunity for expressing my appreciation of Bryston having this forum to relate to their customers. Sets you apart really!

Marius

OgOgilby

« Reply #252 on: 2 Aug 2010, 06:30 pm »
Hi James,

Would a NAS drive like this one work with the BDP-1?: http://www.synology.com/enu/products/DS411+/index.php

It does have USB ports, and since it is connected to a network music files could be added without disconnecting the drive.

srb

« Reply #253 on: 2 Aug 2010, 06:41 pm »
Would a NAS drive like this one work with the BDP-1?: http://www.synology.com/enu/products/DS411+/index.php
It does have USB ports, and since it is connected to a network music files could be added without disconnecting the drive.

The USB ports are only used for adding additional USB drives to the NAS.  The USB drives can only be accessed through the Ethernet network connection to the NAS.

Steve

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #254 on: 2 Aug 2010, 06:58 pm »
Hi Og,

I have been experimenting at home this weekend and if you want to be on the network then the BDP-1 should work well with any USB drive (that is physically attached to the BDP-1) and has a good interface like Minion or Mpod. If you want to use the front panel display then I think limiting yourself to a thumbdrive makes more sense given the file management issues.  We are working on a ‘Bryston interface’ for the larger computer screens and the itouch as well. The Bryston BR-2 remote works well as a simple forward or back or stop or pause function if your moving through the files one at a time while listening.

I think the issue here is that this is not a product designed for thousands of music files and the management of such.  it is really much more applicable to someone wanting to listen to and have access to hundreds of files rather than thousands.

I have to say though that this product sounds superb.  I am getting terrific resolution and transient response and hearing subtle details I was not as aware of before – really happy with the performance so far!

Here's a shot of the unit at home in soundroom 1.

James

OgOgilby

« Reply #255 on: 2 Aug 2010, 09:32 pm »
Thanks James. I was thinking about using an iPad (instead of a itouch) to control the BDP-1. That would be very cool.

Steve - According to the Synology site the DiskStation can stream to a DLNA/UPnP compatible home device and can work as an iTunes server, so I take it that is only applicable using the network. I know the USB ports can work for printer sharing but that is a drag if the BDP-1 can't access files using the USB ports since I may be getting one.

Hmmm... is there a NAS drive with a USB port that would work with the BDP-1?

skunark

« Reply #256 on: 3 Aug 2010, 12:00 am »
I think the issue here is that this is not a product designed for thousands of music files and the management of such.  it is really much more applicable to someone wanting to listen to and have access to hundreds of files rather than thousands.

Is this an issue you plan to fix with an ipod/ipad app or will that still be an issue? 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #257 on: 3 Aug 2010, 02:32 am »
Is this an issue you plan to fix with an ipod/ipad app or will that still be an issue?

Hi skunark - sorry not sure what you mean?

james

skunark

« Reply #258 on: 3 Aug 2010, 05:13 am »
You called out an issue on the fact that the BDP-1 is not that usable if you had thousands of files on a usb drive.  Is that something that will be addressed with the ipod/ipad app?   Perhaps it is just the nature of how the BDP-1 reads files from the USB drives?   

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #259 on: 3 Aug 2010, 11:50 am »
You called out an issue on the fact that the BDP-1 is not that usable if you had thousands of files on a usb drive.  Is that something that will be addressed with the ipod/ipad app?   Perhaps it is just the nature of how the BDP-1 reads files from the USB drives?

Ok understand shunark - sorry I was not with it yesterday - I was commenting that if you use the BDP-1 outside the home network you can navigate through your files but your doing it one at a time. So last night for instance I have a USB loaded with about 100 of my favourite songs and i was sitting in the dark and listening and forwarding each file using our Bryston BR2 remote.  So I am not bouncing in and out of specific playlist etc - I am choosing a specific playlist via the front panel controls on the BDP-1 and then moving from file to file using our BR2 simple remote.  You can see what file your playing on the front panel of the BDP-1 display but not the whole file list.

Now if your on your Home Network you can use the itouch the ipad or any smart phone to access the playlists through a web-browser using dedicated programs like Mpod or Minion.  We will also have a Bryston web-browser that is software loaded on the BDP-1 which you can use with a computer or itouch/ipad etc. to manipulate and manage your files on the attached USB drives.  In that case you can have thousands of files available if you wish.

I guess my thoughts are that the BDP-1 is going to be used as more of a specialized personal product - more of a 'mancave' product - than a universal household product.

james