amp poll

Daryl Zero

Re: amp poll
« Reply #40 on: 1 Jul 2023, 02:25 am »
Do you still have all of these amps?

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #41 on: 1 Jul 2023, 03:17 am »
You should be in good shape with the pre-amp.
The Parasound JC5 arrived today and it is insanely good and great value for performance! 

The user manual does not mention any information on the input gain settings.  I found a few forums with Parasound owners claiming Parasound advises to set the input gain to max.

Where is your input gain set on the JC5?

Thanks

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #42 on: 1 Jul 2023, 05:08 am »
Do you still have all of these amps?

I do.  Some people like to tube roll, I like to “amp roll”  :thumb:

DaveWin88

« Reply #43 on: 1 Jul 2023, 10:02 am »
The Parasound JC5 arrived today and it is insanely good and great value for performance! 

The user manual does not mention any information on the input gain settings.  I found a few forums with Parasound owners claiming Parasound advises to set the input gain to max.

Where is your input gain set on the JC5?

Thanks
I have my gain on the amp and pre-amp at 50%. If the amp gets to loud to quickly (no real usable range) then back off on the gain.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #44 on: 1 Jul 2023, 10:22 am »
I don't have the X3's anymore but when I did, these were the amps I used with them:

First Watt BA3
First Watt Aleph J
Don Sachs "baby-Kootenay"
Dennis Had Inspire MB14 SEP Monoblocks
Almarro A318B SET
TAL Korneff Type 45 SET
Elekit TU 8233 2a3/300b SET
Sun Valley 211/845 SET

I really think you should sell me the Almarro 318b.

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #45 on: 1 Jul 2023, 11:09 am »
I have my gain on the amp and pre-amp at 50%. If the amp gets to loud to quickly (no real usable range) then back off on the gain.
Got it…. Thanks

Mr. Big

« Reply #46 on: 1 Jul 2023, 03:57 pm »
I agree that SS can be a tad much with some CD's,  but vinyl is pretty much excellent. Tubes do? have an overall more forgiving presentation.

I use all SS with my system but I grew up on tubes so that sound is always in my head, my SS system sounds as good so tubes and I parted ways but I still love tubes. I had a huge vinyl collection but sold it all in the early '90s to a collector out of NY. Never looked back. Nor feel the need to sonic wise and I am a vinyl person since the time I was 10 years of age the collection starts and that was 1961 when my dad purchased 2 LPs for my birthday and I never stopped as I got a job and made my own money the collection continued to grow till 1989. Vinyl by the late early 70s was so poorly made, thin, noisy, warped, etc, oil prices went way up thus the cost of making vinyl was impacted so vinyl was made more cheaply, and a lot of reused vinyl was used. Catalogs of artists back LP's were pulled so lots of LP titles were no more until the release of a new format the CD then all the backlog titles came back into production and that kept going year after year. One LP sold in a month was more than all the LP's sold in a year today. One LP could sell 3 million, some 10 million, and a million copies was considered a major seller. Today I have 1,500 CDs and box sets from the 1930s to the present. Just some of my collections.

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #47 on: 3 Jul 2023, 11:33 pm »
A Don Sachs Kootenay 120 has given my x-5s their best sound.  A rare time of a combination perhaps being greater than the individual pieces.

DaveWin88

« Reply #48 on: 4 Jul 2023, 02:28 am »
I use all SS with my system but I grew up on tubes so that sound is always in my head, my SS system sounds as good so tubes and I parted ways but I still love tubes. I had a huge vinyl collection but sold it all in the early '90s to a collector out of NY. Never looked back. Nor feel the need to sonic wise and I am a vinyl person since the time I was 10 years of age the collection starts and that was 1961 when my dad purchased 2 LPs for my birthday and I never stopped as I got a job and made my own money the collection continued to grow till 1989. Vinyl by the late early 70s was so poorly made, thin, noisy, warped, etc, oil prices went way up thus the cost of making vinyl was impacted so vinyl was made more cheaply, and a lot of reused vinyl was used. Catalogs of artists back LP's were pulled so lots of LP titles were no more until the release of a new format the CD then all the backlog titles came back into production and that kept going year after year. One LP sold in a month was more than all the LP's sold in a year today. One LP could sell 3 million, some 10 million, and a million copies was considered a major seller. Today I have 1,500 CDs and box sets from the 1930s to the present. Just some of my collections.

I'm with you Mr Big. I have a bigger CD library vs vinyl. Listening to mostly classical, it comes off very very well on CD.
« Last Edit: 4 Jul 2023, 04:06 pm by DaveWin88 »

Tyson

« Reply #49 on: 4 Jul 2023, 05:10 pm »
I really think you should sell me the Almarro 318b.

That thing is a beast.  1100 volts needed to drive those tubes!  But the sound is pretty spectacular.

Jprod

« Reply #50 on: 11 Jul 2023, 01:15 pm »
Thanks for all the responses.  Nice to see what everyone is using to drive their spatials.  For those of you that do have more than one , do you swap out the amps or have an amp selector box ? Just curious

Tyson

« Reply #51 on: 11 Jul 2023, 01:39 pm »
Thanks for all the responses.  Nice to see what everyone is using to drive their spatials.  For those of you that do have more than one , do you swap out the amps or have an amp selector box ? Just curious

I keep my spare amps in my finished basement and swap out to the main system every few months.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #52 on: 11 Jul 2023, 02:45 pm »
That thing is a beast.  1100 volts needed to drive those tubes!  But the sound is pretty spectacular.

Yes. Sorry I sold mine.

doggie

« Reply #53 on: 24 Jul 2023, 05:47 pm »
X5's driven by a Linear Tube Audio Ultralinear Plus.

Tubes...

tdangelo

« Reply #54 on: 28 Jul 2023, 01:21 pm »
I have the X2 with REL subs and use an Esoteric F-07 integrated 90% of the time - the other 10% is an AudioValve Assistent 100MK2. Both work well. I also tried a Legacy Audio i.V2 but it lasted only a week or so LOL.

tony

Charles Xavier

« Reply #55 on: 28 Jul 2023, 02:58 pm »
M3 Saphires driven by Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra and Schiit Freya+ amd Wilsenton R8 integrated amp

consttraveler

• I think I won!
« Reply #56 on: 28 Jul 2023, 06:00 pm »
My X-5's go extremely well with my AGD Audion Mono-blocks.

jachinboazicus

« Reply #57 on: 2 Aug 2023, 09:16 pm »
I'm running my M3 Triode Masters with a couple of Schiit Vidars as monoblocks (SS) into a MiniDSP SHD.

While the DIRAC and room correction is cool/interesting, I honestly prefer my M3 Turbo S running through a Marantz 4300. I've A/B tested that marantz amp against the VR LIO, and the 1974 relic holds up.

Figaro

« Reply #58 on: 3 Aug 2023, 02:28 pm »
Sparial Audio  X4 Premium
Benchmark     AHB2
Benchmark     DAC3 B
Benchmark     LA4
Sangean        HDT-20 HD AM/FM
Oppo             UDP-205 (feeds digital stream to DAC)
LG                 OLED77C2AUA
Panamax       M5300-PM

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #59 on: 4 Aug 2023, 06:47 pm »
Tyson, I'd really like to try a 45 amp with my X3s but think 1.5 watts or so might not be enough.  I know it depends on many factors like room size, type of music, desired listening level.  Did the 45 amp give you enough?  I listen to jazz, small group, big band, vocals.

I'm currently using either a DS Valhalla or a Dennis Had Inspire 300B.