See you at the Pacific Audio Fest!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
Re: See you at the Pacific Audio Fest!
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jun 2023, 02:37 pm »
Can you take a few close-up shots of the amps and preamp and post them here? Did they share the pricing at the show? Also, are they the final production models?

Can you take a few close-up shots of the amps and preamp and post them here?  Sure! I'll snap more photos this morning. I'm afraid I was too tense from my hell ride up I-5 to be an astute photographer.  :oops:

Did they share the pricing at the show?  I didn't hear anyone declare a definite price, but I'll ask about pricing today.

Also, are they the final production models?  Don did say that there were two (?) more adjustments to be made to the preamp and amps. The first went over my head...(I'll ask for details)...but Don and Lynn felt the sound would benefit from the change. The second change is Don will use a larger cabinet for the mono amps because it's getting crowded inside the current cabinets.

Stay tuned....

Michael

geerock

« Reply #21 on: 24 Jun 2023, 03:50 pm »
Don had mentioned one major POSSIBLE change and that's to replace the already excellent Toroidy transformers with a different design magnetic one.  Don't know if he built it yet or what he's showing in Seattle.  They are trying a few different changes as his statement to me was "we are just trying to build the best amps we can."  And yes, those cases are getting cramped.  One of the reasons he started the 300b monos was because the stereo case was getting over populated.
And now the monos are going to have to get bigger.  I got a feeling these things are gonna be something when they put the final stamp of approval on them.  It's one hell of a collaboration between some very fine audio designers and builders.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 24 Jun 2023, 04:39 pm »
Has anyone heard the the Q series speakers that's also there?  I have a pair of speakers using the same full range driver that the Q series uses and it's pretty special.  I was wondering how it sounded in the full OB implementation Clayton's created.  They are in Room 2210 I think.

mresseguie

« Reply #23 on: 24 Jun 2023, 05:17 pm »
Has anyone heard the the Q series speakers that's also there?  I have a pair of speakers using the same full range driver that the Q series uses and it's pretty special.  I was wondering how it sounded in the full OB implementation Clayton's created.  They are in Room 2210 I think.

I’ll visit this room later today, and provide impressions.

sjsfiveo

« Reply #24 on: 24 Jun 2023, 09:13 pm »

Early B.

« Reply #25 on: 24 Jun 2023, 10:21 pm »
sjsfiveo -- thanks for posting the prices.

The pricing of the monoblocks is in line with what I predicted which was $19,995. The preamp seems reasonably priced. Perhaps we can encourage Don to provide a detailed explanation of the differences between his current DS2 preamp and the Raven. 

P.S. -- $35,700 for the Lampizator Pacific DAC is an annual salary for many Americans. Maybe Don and Lynn should design a tube Raven DAC for a fraction of that price. 

Daryl Zero

« Reply #26 on: 24 Jun 2023, 10:36 pm »
So I don't usually post from my phone but here goes. I've talked to Lynn and Don and they are both really proud of the 300b mono blocks. There is also a preamp (the Raven though I tried to talk them out of using the bird theme because of Raven Audio) that goes with them (not as a unit). The X4s are going for just under 10k and they don't have the pricing on the mono blocks but 8t will be around 20k. I didn't catch the price on the preamp.

I saw the Q6 driven by the LTA z40+ and it sounded nice. Probably made for smaller rooms as it is about 2/3 of the size of the X4s. It is a prototype and I don't think they have the production waveguide for the tweeter yet.

The mono blocks are really sweet but neutral. The X4s images like crazy in the fairly small room.

Spatial had 2 rooms far away from each other. I met Clayton and had a nice talk.

The hotel is a bit distracting as the rooms are all over the place. I saw some nice stuff but it is hard to beat Spatial for the money. Plus, I like the open sound.

Focal had a 22k speaker that would be great if you want dance parties. Cabasse has a 4k active speaker, the Rialto, that is impressive. Songer Audio has some nice speakers if you have 30k or more. And Popori had a fairly full range electrostatic which I thought sounded nice.

My first and probably last audio show. It gets old fast but I really enjoyed meeting Don, Cloud, Lynn and Clayton and other Spatial guys including the new owner.
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2023, 09:09 pm by Daryl Zero »

geerock

« Reply #27 on: 24 Jun 2023, 10:50 pm »
So I don't usually post from my phone but here goes. I've talked to Lynn and Don and they are both really proud of the 300b mono blocks. There is also a preamp that goes with them (not as a unit). The X4s are going for just under 10k and they don't have the pricing on the mono blocks but 8t will be around 20k. I didn't catch the price on the preamp.

I saw the Q6 driven by the LTA z40+ and it sounded nice. Probably made for smaller rooms as it is about 2/3 of the size of the X4s. It is a prototype and I don't think they have the waveguide for the tweeter yet.

The mono blocks are really sweet but neutral. The X4s images like crazy in the fairly small room.

Spatial had 2 rooms far away from each other. I met Clayton and had a nice talk.

The hotel is a bit distracting as the rooms are all over the place. I saw some nice stuff but it is hard to beat Spatial for the money. Plus, I like the open sound.

Focal had a 22k speaker that would be great if you want dance parties. Cabasse has a 4k active speaker, the Rialto, that is impressive. Songer Audio has some nice speakers if you have 30k or more. And Popcorn had a fairly full range electrostatic which I thought sounded nice.
Popcorn??  I try to keep up with electrostatic and ribbons.  Is that an Autocorrect or is there a Popcorn Audio Company?  Have fun!

Daryl Zero

« Reply #28 on: 24 Jun 2023, 11:05 pm »
Sorry, Popori. To my bad eyes, I saw popcorn.

mresseguie

« Reply #29 on: 25 Jun 2023, 05:04 am »

I was told that the likely price of the X4 prototype - "$TBD" is $11,995.00. The mono amps' price of $18,500 - $19,900 is the likely price range, but it depends on whether there are any more changes to the design.

I didn't get to hear the Valhalla today, but I might get a chance tomorrow.

This room on the 13th floor (#1376) is such an exceptionally wonderful sounding room. If I weren't already committed to other speakers and a different tube DAC, I'd sure try to find a way to own this entire system. As it is, I have placed an order to buy Don's new mono amps and preamp.  8)

Reminder to self: Drive extra carefully on the way home on Monday. I-5's traffic can grind you up and spit you to the side of the road in a heartbeat.

mresseguie

« Reply #30 on: 25 Jun 2023, 05:36 am »
sjsfiveo -- thanks for posting the prices.

The pricing of the monoblocks is in line with what I predicted which was $19,995. The preamp seems reasonably priced. Perhaps we can encourage Don to provide a detailed explanation of the differences between his current DS2 preamp and the Raven. 

P.S. -- $35,700 for the Lampizator Pacific DAC is an annual salary for many Americans. Maybe Don and Lynn should design a tube Raven DAC for a fraction of that price.

Don posted this explanation concerning his Model 2 preamp and the new Raven on Agon:

"The older preamp is a nice, but conventional single ended tube SRPP circuit with Akido buffer (extra tube per channel).  It uses dual regulated power supplies and dual regulated filament supplies and really good signal path parts, and the wonderful Khozmo attenuator.  The Raven is a completely different approach and  circuit.  It is fully balanced and transformer coupled at both input and output with custom wound transformers from Dave Geren at Cinemag.  It will take either xlr input or rca input, and will happily provide xlr or rca, or even headphone output, and will drive even a 10K power amp impedance.   The Khozmo setup is dual mono because you have to control both halves of the xlr on each channel.  The power supply uses two damper diodes, very high quality transformer and is a true C_- L - C (cap, choke, then cap) that feeds a much higher quality regulator that is used in the previous preamp and also feeds a pair of gas regulator tubes after that.  It is dead quiet, fully balanced, and has very little sonic signature, but provides great drive for the power amp.  I really like it, and those who have been to the show have heard it driving the 300b mono amps."

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/300b-lovers?page=7

mresseguie

« Reply #31 on: 25 Jun 2023, 06:51 am »
Mono amps and preamp photos:

Daryl Zero

« Reply #32 on: 25 Jun 2023, 01:46 pm »
I listened to the Valhalla with the X4S Ultras for about 45 minutes yesterday. Anyone wants my opinion, message me.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #33 on: 25 Jun 2023, 05:13 pm »
I've been asked about the X4s and I spoke to one of the designers. He told me that they have dropped the distortion from the woofer and raised the efficiency of the speakers from the old X4s.

I'm listening now to the Q6s which are a prototype and are sounding wonderful. To me, I think this speaker is a bit more interesting. Cost may be about 5k.

Downtheline

« Reply #34 on: 25 Jun 2023, 05:31 pm »
Does anyone know about the tweeter/midrange driver on the new Q6?

Early B.

« Reply #35 on: 25 Jun 2023, 05:48 pm »
Don posted this explanation concerning his Model 2 preamp and the new Raven on Agon:

"The older preamp is a nice, but conventional single ended tube SRPP circuit with Akido buffer (extra tube per channel).  It uses dual regulated power supplies and dual regulated filament supplies and really good signal path parts, and the wonderful Khozmo attenuator.  The Raven is a completely different approach and  circuit.  It is fully balanced and transformer coupled at both input and output with custom wound transformers from Dave Geren at Cinemag.  It will take either xlr input or rca input, and will happily provide xlr or rca, or even headphone output, and will drive even a 10K power amp impedance.   The Khozmo setup is dual mono because you have to control both halves of the xlr on each channel.  The power supply uses two damper diodes, very high quality transformer and is a true C_- L - C (cap, choke, then cap) that feeds a much higher quality regulator that is used in the previous preamp and also feeds a pair of gas regulator tubes after that.  It is dead quiet, fully balanced, and has very little sonic signature, but provides great drive for the power amp.  I really like it, and those who have been to the show have heard it driving the 300b mono amps."

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/300b-lovers?page=7

Don expounded on the differences between his current preamp and the new Raven:

The sonic differences between the old Akido circuit and the Raven are fairly dramatic. The Akido circuit sounds like one of the best darn traditional tube preamps I had ever heard, and that is why I built it for years and kept trying to squeeze another few percent out of it with every improvement. The Raven is part of the 300b project. Both the amps and the Raven will happily play with the rest of the world, either single-ended RCA or XLR, but together they can form a complete balanced chain with a balanced source. The Raven can drive the input tube grids of the Blackbird amps directly via XLR because it has an output transformer. I would not do that with a solid state preamp or DAC output stage, only something with an output transformer or coupling cap to protect the amps from DC input. A solid-state device would be fine for possibly many years until one instant that it isn’t, and then DC can come flooding into the amp. That would not destroy the Blackbird, but the input tube would be really unhappy, and some nasty noises could arise from the speakers. The Raven simply cannot do that because it is transformer coupled. The RCA input on the Blackbird amps is transformer coupled, so that is always safe, but the XLR inputs can bypass that input transformer. So the Raven is made to mate with the Blackbird.

The sound of the Raven vs. the older Model 2...? Well, as much as I like that circuit and build, it sounds slightly slow and veiled compared to the Raven. The Model 2 is a great preamp and I have maybe 150+ of them out in the world in one form or another, but the Raven is a step up. There is just more resolution of fine detail, with what sounds like effortless and unlimited drive. It is not bright in any way at all, but it is highly detailed. The whole 300b system is like the iron fist in the velvet glove to my ear. It has all the subtle detail and shadings of a flea-watt SET amp, but serious grunt and drive at the bottom and extension to 34KHz at the top end and a very subtle roll-off after that. I suspect the final version of the amps may make it out to 50 KHz before the roll-off begins. So HF is extended and airy, but again, never bright sounding. The Raven is definitely part of that experience because I built the amps first and used them with RCA inputs and my old preamp, and then I built the Raven. Like the amps, once I heard the Raven there was no going back. So then Lynn and I experimented with several power supply variations before deciding on the final topology. They all sounded quite good, but the final choice was clearly the best to my ear. At any rate, the Raven is a big part of the sound people heard at the show. My old preamp was good, but not in the same league. My 2 cents.....

Daryl Zero

« Reply #36 on: 25 Jun 2023, 06:14 pm »
Does anyone know about the tweeter/midrange driver on the new Q6?

I asked Clayton about the tweeter on the Q6 and he said it was from GR Research. I didn't ask anything else about it. I just listened to it for about 45 minutes and it sounded great.

Early B.

« Reply #37 on: 25 Jun 2023, 06:33 pm »
I asked Clayton about the tweeter on the Q6 and he said it was from GR Research. I didn't ask anything else about it. I just listened to it for about 45 minutes and it sounded great.

Maybe it's this one:  https://gr-research.com/product/lgk-woofer/

minatophase3

« Reply #38 on: 25 Jun 2023, 06:52 pm »
I heard the Q6 speakers yesterday and thought they sounded great!  They are a little smaller than my M4 Sapphires but sounded every bit as good to my ears. 

DaveWin88

« Reply #39 on: 25 Jun 2023, 06:54 pm »
The Q6 looked to have a top tier crossover.