Amplifier for X5

Daryl Zero

Re: Amplifier for X5
« Reply #60 on: 29 Sep 2021, 05:32 pm »
I experimented with vintage stuff for the Magnepans .7s I have and a lot of it needs fixing, recapping etc. I have a Nakamichi TA-4A which, after being recapped, drove the .7s pretty well and now with the X5s, I barely have to turn it up to have a robust volume in my listening room. Right now, my listening room is an office and so isn't really set up to maximize anything but the X5s still sound great. I do have to turn the subs up most of the way to hear them in the mix which concerns me a bit. I can't really treat the room yet accoustically. A friend who is working on my vintage stuff is going to bring me my HK Citation 12 back and, for the Magnepan, was good on the bass side. I also have the preamp Citation 11 but it may have a problem. The Nakamichi has a Pass designed stasis amp.

Here's a link on the stasis amp with Nelson Pass joining in:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/247924-nakamichi-stasis.html

I had emailed Nelson a while back when first considering whether the amp could drive the Maggies. Nelson said he didn't know. The amp initially was unable to really drive them but when we upgraded the caps, it was a huge difference.

Roger

« Reply #61 on: 30 Sep 2021, 06:08 pm »
Hi Daryl Zero,
I live in Tucson, Saddlebrooke area. I would love to hear your X5's sometime. If I remember correctly, you bought these used so may be broken in?
Let me know,
Roger

Daryl Zero

« Reply #62 on: 30 Sep 2021, 06:25 pm »
Yes, they are already broken in. You're welcome sometime (I have a few fires that need to go out first) just send me an email. As I've said, I have them set up in an office so they are just play them as they lay right now and they still sound fantastic. I have no room to experiment much with placement and I've got shelves behind them so I can't do anything accoustically with the room yet. I'm also hoping to experiment with the amp since I have a few different ones to try.

morganc

« Reply #63 on: 30 Sep 2021, 08:04 pm »
If you've got the funds, there is a used pair of Cherry amps for sale that would make those guys sing well.  I'm a bug fan of a tubes ore with the cherry amps with the spatials.  I just moved to Sedona and sold my x-5s before I moved and am awaiting a pair of x-3's.  You're welcome to hear the combo when I get mine if you wanna come up here sometime.  It will take a few months to break in.