Anyone build the Amp Camp Amp?

ctviggen

Anyone build the Amp Camp Amp?
« on: 11 May 2022, 05:39 pm »
This is it:

https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/amp-camp-amp/products/amp-camp-amp-kit?variant=39678364123209

Says you can build it in an afternoon.

I gave my Linn 5140 speakers to my wife's niece and her husband.  I was thinking I could build this amp for them too, as they are newly married with not a huge amount of cash.  The Linns are 90 dB but 4 ohms.  Reading the forum comments, it does seem like this might work, without breaking my bank and also without taking a huge amount of time (which I don't have).

Anyone build this? If so, how hard was it and do you recommend it? 

rich121

Re: Anyone build the Amp Camp Amp?
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2022, 05:45 pm »
"Out of Stock"

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2022, 08:31 pm »
A fantastic value. Often sold out because it is popular.

Probably the higest selling (in numbers) Pass amps out there.

The ACAmini is also very good, more of the sound signature of a pair od bridged/balanced monoBlocs.

I drove, without complaint, my big 87 dB MTMs in my big room with a pair of the original 5w mono blocs with no complaints. Then i got a pair of the bigger stereo ones.

dave
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2022, 07:49 pm by planet10 »

RDavidson

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2022, 04:52 am »
The ACA runs out of steam pretty fast and probably won't provide a very balanced sound with those Linns. I think the lower mids and bass will be quite lean. I'm a Pass fan and own an ACA (among other First Watt and Pass amps). It's a neat little amp that is meant to be fun and educational to build, especially for novices. However the hype around it has gotten out of control and would lead one to believe it is a giant killer and a huge bargain. It simply isn't. That's just the truth.

I think you should consider getting a good used NAD 3020, clean it up, and give it to them. Lovely amp, sounds great, versatile, and durable. Has a nice phono section too. Hard to go wrong if you can find one in good shape. I own one of these too. :D

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2022, 09:39 am »
4 ohms is not a easy load for many amps, with music and the cross-over the speaker tends to decrease to 3 ohms in hi SPL.

There is the Mofo Kit 20/22W and Damping 40,
Unfortunately not integrated, needs a pre-amp with lots of gain.
Sound quality and general info on the Mofo amp are welcomed, please post here:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=179626.0

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2022, 02:50 pm »
Thanks, all. When I was looking at it, it was in stock. I guess I'm too slow.

I have a Dodd tube, battery-powered preamp I was thinking of giving him too.  I lost the power supply/charger, so I'd need to get that.  And I assume the batteries are dead, but I'd have to get the power supply/charger first to figure that out. 

So, he'd have whatever amp I got, a Dodd battery-powered preamp (and I have several sets of extra tubes), the Linn 5140s, and he only listens to records on his turntable. I also gave him a ton of cables.  It could be a great set up.

I have had this stuff sitting in my basement for years. Every time I consider selling it, I stop because I realize how much time that takes. Way too much. So, I figured he could use it instead of it sitting gathering dust. 

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2022, 03:37 pm »
4 ohms is not a easy load for many amps, with music and the cross-over the speaker tends to decrease to 3 ohms in hi SPL.

With the ACA you really have 3 different amplifiers. Stereo amplifier, 8w SE best into 8 ohms, 16w (PP) if brifdged or balanced, best into 16Ω, and as paralleled monobloks is 16w SE best into 4Ω.

The apralleled sounds pretty much the same as a stereo amplifier, the balanced/bridged different and much like the ACAmini.

More important than the lowest impedance, is what does the impedance curve look like?

dave

ctviggen

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2022, 08:48 pm »
I guess I should have bought it while it was still in stock.  :?

Not sure my wife wants me to do this -- as if I need something else to do, and they haven't asked for it.  I just thought it would be a nice gesture. Maybe a second wedding present?

I signed up for an email when this is available.

In the meantime, I'll get my Dodd preamp working. It's been in my basement for 7+ years, and I can't fit it in my current system, so I might as well give it to someone who will use it.

SET Man

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2022, 01:34 am »
Hey!

Hmmm... I actually thought about it. I was thinking of using this as my "summer" amp and give my SET monoblocks a break sometime because they put out a lot of heat that my window A/C having hard time keep up when is get very hot out her in NYC. Funny thing is that this Amp Camp Amp at 8wpc is less powerful than both of my SET amps.

But looking at the input impedance at 10K I'm not sure if that would work well with my now 24 years old tubed pre the Audio Note M1 Phono, it is a very simple pre. Don't know, but tempting though. Anyone using this amp with tubed pre out there?

Buddy