XLS Encore woofers are not getting any power

Dans801

XLS Encore woofers are not getting any power
« on: 10 Jul 2022, 03:00 pm »
Hi all, first post here, but been following these threads for a while.  I'm somewhat new at hifi so please bear with me.  I just received my first XLS Encore kit and spent the day yesterday putting it all together.  The tweeters are getting sound lound and clear but the woofers are getting no sound, power or any sort of source at all.  They are just silent, nothing.  I'm 99% sure I have the crossover, and all the wiring done correctly but maybe someone can take a look for me.  I also used two different amps/receivers to test with and both had the same result.  Here's my crossover and woofer.  Don't mind the green shrink wrap, I just used it to indicate my negative woofer wire.  Any advice is much appreciated.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: XLS Encore woofers are not getting any power
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2022, 05:32 pm »
You can use an ohm meter to check the speaker terminal to the input terminal to make sure you have good connections for both the positive and negative terminals.  The measurements should be a very low DC resistance.

If you measure across the input terminals you should also measure close the the DC resistance of the speaker.

If either of those are not correct, then some connection to the woofer is not working correctly.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2022, 06:06 pm »
Did you strip the red enamel from the coil leads?

The enamel on them will prevent proper contact and may be the cause of your lack of bass frequencies.

Usually a razor or scissor blade will easily remove the enamel then you can use solder to bridge the connection.

Dans801

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2022, 06:37 pm »
Hobbs, I didn't do that no.  So I'm guessing this is where my issues lies, alas.  Going to take some work to unwind those and separate them from the solder.  HAL, I did test and the terminal connections show good connection, except on the woofer, which to Hobbs' point probably why I'm having issues.  Thank you for the advice I'll see if I can rectify.

Dans801

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2022, 01:28 pm »
Gents, I am up and running and the speakers sound incredible.  It was stripping the enamel of the transistors that did the trick.  Newbie mistake I suppose.  Thanks again.

la80vette

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2022, 03:52 pm »
I made the same newbie mistake. Only 99 more newbie mistakes to go and I'll be an expert.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2022, 04:00 pm »
I made the same newbie mistake. Only 99 more newbie mistakes to go and I'll be an expert.

I wouldn't bet on it  :green: I passed the 100 mark a long time ago and I still make mistakes  :thumb:

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2022, 04:53 pm »
Gents, I am up and running and the speakers sound incredible.  It was stripping the enamel of the transistors that did the trick.  Newbie mistake I suppose.  Thanks again.

Another newbie mistake is mixing inductors with transistors.   :wink:

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jul 2022, 04:36 pm »
On a good note, this will not be a problem going forward. We will no longer be ordering coils from Solen.

US Coils will be providing us with coils now and theirs come with the ends stripped and tinned.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jul 2022, 05:31 pm »
On a good note, this will not be a problem going forward. We will no longer be ordering coils from Solen.

US Coils will be providing us with coils now and theirs come with the ends stripped and tinned.

Oh hell yeah.  That's awesome.

Kaiju2189

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jul 2022, 06:44 pm »
Looks like a nice option Danny. Looking forward to hearing more about them.

Got my XLS Encore flat packs from Peter. Looking forward to my build. Hopefully I want need to be stripping enamel by the time you fill June orders.