12 sub drivers is fun

NoahH

12 sub drivers is fun
« on: 14 Jun 2022, 03:24 am »
I have had my NX-tremes and dual 6 driver subs done for a.long time but was blocked on the sub amp for months. It finally came and I have everything hooked up. I am still finishing all the no-rez for the subs (I am being insanely OCD about how it is cut and finished) but this is a whole new game even without the no-rez finished.

I liked the NX-tremes, but was never thrilled and knew it was largely from the bass. My room is absurdly big, and it was not something any speakers could really handle without subs, and therefore the sound always lacked the substance that proper bass support provides.

And then I had 12 drivers of OB sub come online.

OB bass is definitely different than box subs. But it definitely feels more right as you spend time with it. What really shifted my head was getting serious drum music. Taiko recordings and the Black Panther sound track (great African drums) are amazing. Well ahead of what my dual REL S/812s can do in my other system.

And orchestras sound... Like orchestras. Rite of Spring, Bach's Fugue in D and such all sound right. I historically avoided classical as it never sounded right on a stereo and this can do it.

To anyone thinking of overkilling with sub drivers - I highly encourage it.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: 12 sub drivers is fun
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2022, 03:30 am »
12 OB servo subs - holy shit I am jealous!!  I have to imagine in your giant room that they scale up the sound like nobody's business.  While still staying super fast/clean/detailed.  Power and finesse together.

Cheytak.408

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2022, 04:17 am »
TWELVE open baffle servo subs:  the things dreams are made of!  :thumb:

Norman Tracy

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2022, 03:21 pm »
NoahH for completeness which size woofers x 12 are you using?

And let me just say, I like the way you roll!  :thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2022, 03:46 pm »

Not NoahH but he has 12” drivers so 12, 12” drivers. That’s double what you heard at my house with the triples. In other words, just a tad bit of bass  :thumb:

Mike

Norman Tracy

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2022, 06:06 pm »
Oh yeah. Here's the servo bass array Michael referred to delivered to its happy owner. Perfect choice for those ESL mains.

Pre-delivery the demo at Michael's he mentioned of one of those towers, well I think it rewired my brain.

The mind bending bit was the GR open baffle servo sub disappearing act. For the quick listen the sub was behind the sofa just left of my shoulder, only place it would fit without reworking the entire room for one quick demo. Even with that monolith towering over my shoulder the deep powerful impactful bass all seemed to be coming from the soundstage in front of us. The lack of audible clues from the sub's location I attribute to the low distortion and thus lack of harmonics or other noises higher up in the frequency spectrum betraying the sub's location.

NoahH

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2022, 02:18 am »

Yup - 12" woofers. Equivalent in area to a 3-and-a-half foot driver. It... Moves air.

My wife is rapidly tiring of organ music.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 15 Jun 2022, 02:49 am »
Yup - 12" woofers. Equivalent in area to a 3-and-a-half foot driver. It... Moves air.

My wife is rapidly tiring of organ music.

Check these out for bass with a break from organ music:

Spiritchaser - Dead Can Dance
Flight of the Cosmic Hippo - Bela Fleck
Convergence -Malia and Boris Black
Graffiti Jazz - David Chesky on his new label The Audiophile Society
Eiji Oue, Minnesota Orchestra, Stravinsky, The Firebird Suite - Reference Recordings
Bassotronics - The Future is Bass

No 15Hz pedal tones but plenty of bass to play with

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2022, 07:58 pm »
Glad you are enjoying the two 6x12 servo subs!

Still love mine with my planar line array's.

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jun 2022, 11:27 pm »
Will be turning my 4 stacks into 6's shortly, can't wait!!

Cheers,

Don

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2022, 04:10 am »
Testing, 1,2,3

Don

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jun 2022, 02:57 pm »
Sorry for the long delay in getting amps in. We are still struggling with supply issues.

I am however very glad to hear you have them all up and playing now. You have a top level system and I hope you enjoy them for many years.

Thank you for your order and patience.