XLS Encore compared to LS9

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: XLS Encore compared to LS9
« Reply #20 on: 19 Mar 2015, 08:22 pm »
Ruben,
Sure put in a flat pack in black for the X-LS Encores.  They need to be built.

Thanks!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: 19 Mar 2015, 10:42 pm »
I have had Gary Dodd over for the last three weeks and I finally got him back into reasonably good health and back to listening to music again.

He was floored by the big LSX open baffle line sources. They are a level above everything...

But then I set up a pair of the LGK's. And then he was really floored. All of that from those little 3" drivers? That was completely unbelievable. I think he was more impressed with the LGK's.

Has he had a chance to listen to the Wedgies?

skalos

« Reply #22 on: 19 Mar 2015, 11:42 pm »
Danny,

With what chip amp are you running the LGKs and the LSXs?

Steven

Danny Richie

« Reply #23 on: 19 Mar 2015, 11:48 pm »
Has he had a chance to listen to the Wedgies?

Not yet.

Danny Richie

« Reply #24 on: 19 Mar 2015, 11:49 pm »
Danny,

With what chip amp are you running the LGKs and the LSXs?

Steven

Yep, and it plays both of them really well.

Skiman

« Reply #25 on: 19 Mar 2015, 11:50 pm »
Of course! :thumb:

I may be stocking the X-LS Encores as complete units ready to ship. They are REALLY good for the price and I can build and finish them quickly and inexpensively. (approx. $425 pair) I was able to complete Skimans order of (2) pair in a day. From start to ready to play. :thumb:

Ruben

I'll take 8 more, that is 4 pairs of XL-S Encores, just like the 4 I just got(satin black, no-rez, and tube connectors) at that price. $1,700 total. Deal? :rules:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #26 on: 20 Mar 2015, 12:05 am »
He was surprised by those as well. Neither of us have ever heard a chip amp that sounds this good. They are really clean and have a really low noise floor. It made Gary wonder about using them as the front end to some tubes...
Danny, Are these the little $6 TI 7297 amps that sent you last year?

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #27 on: 20 Mar 2015, 12:16 am »
I'll take 8 more, that is 4 pairs of XL-S Encores, just like the 4 I just got(satin black, no-rez, and tube connectors) at that price. $1,700 total. Deal? :rules:

Deal. :wink:

Anyone else??? :D

Ruben

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 20 Mar 2015, 12:16 am »
Danny, Are these the little $6 TI 7297 amps that sent you last year?

Yeah. I gutted them and used really good parts and connectors with them. They sound great!

SoCalWJS

« Reply #29 on: 20 Mar 2015, 12:19 am »
Not yet.
Glad to hear that Gary is getting enthusiastic about listening to Audio after all he has been through!  :thumb:

Still think those LS-X's are among the very best speakers I've ever heard. Would love to hear any listening impressions of the speakers Gary listened to.

Also patiently waiting to see the Wedgies show up on the website as an option.

The LS6/Super V/Frankenspeakers may not survive the move. :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

We'll have to wait, but I just can't see them fitting in the new house. (I will move them all and give it a shot - hopefully with my new neighbors watching as they get moved in. Probably keel over the second they see them  :green:)

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #30 on: 20 Mar 2015, 01:22 am »
Very good to read that you got Gary hanging around the "shop" again.  :thumb:

I bet I know why he may have been more impressed with the LGKs though (other than from an engineering standpoint, getting big bang-for-the-buck and all that). . .

When Gary feels like tinkering around a little again, put a soldering iron in his hand and have him sort out the Doddzillas if they aren't already back to 100%.  THEN sit him in front of the LS-X.  The chip amps may well be real nice, and the little battery powered tube amps are good no doubt, but the LS-X with the big blues isn't so much of a "game changer" in audio as that setup is a "life changer", and I mean that.  As brief as it may have lasted that I got a chance to hear it, that setup is now for me THE standard you have to beat, and I feel - with all due respect - that it is going to be a really hard act to follow. :beer:

Skiman

« Reply #31 on: 20 Mar 2015, 02:20 am »
Ruben, I never thought you'd take up my offer as I assumed your $425 per pair price would not include no-rez and tube connectors. But including them for that price is stunning to me, so we have a deal! I will then have a total of a dozen to surround myself with eventually (plus my LS9s and LSC). Many of you must think I'm crazy for adding so many speakers, but remember that Dolby Atmos supports up to 128 speakers, and the upcoming Emotiva processor will output up to 16.

Oh yes, as before, the ports can be eliminated, but locate the tube connector inputs on the back please.

$425 for a pair of XL-S Encore speakers, fully assembled, finished in satin black, including no-rez and Electra Cable tube connectors just has to be the bargain of the century!

Maybe Danny could add Ruben to his web page as a finished speaker source?

Can you tell I love my XL-S Encores? :singing:

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 20 Mar 2015, 02:37 am »
Ruben, I never thought you'd take up my offer as I assumed your $425 per pair price would not include no-rez and tube connectors. But including them for that price is stunning to me, so we have a deal!

Yeah, I spoke too soon, but a deal is a deal! :beer:

$425 would normally be the base price in satin black. Tube connectors and NoRez would be an additional $80pr.

Best,

Ruben

dlparker

• Dave Parker - KC, MO
    • DontKnowNuthinBoutNoComputers
« Reply #33 on: 20 Mar 2015, 04:14 am »
Yeah, I spoke too soon, but a deal is a deal! :beer:

$425 would normally be the base price in satin black. Tube connectors and NoRez would be an additional $80pr.

Best,

Ruben

So that would be $505.00 for a pair of fully assembled, ready to play XL-S Encores?

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 20 Mar 2015, 04:20 am »
So that would be $505.00 for a pair of fully assembled, ready to play XL-S Encores?

Yes, Sir!

That price includes NoRez and tube connectors as well. If you used the standard binding post cups they would be $455 per pair. :thumb:

Best,

Ruben

roscoe65

« Reply #35 on: 23 Mar 2015, 01:37 pm »
Yes, Sir!

That price includes NoRez and tube connectors as well. If you used the standard binding post cups they would be $455 per pair. :thumb:

Best,

Ruben

Hi Ruben,

I would love to get a pair as well in this configuration (No Rez and standard binding post).  Would you like me to PM you?

Randy

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 23 Mar 2015, 01:52 pm »
Hi Ruben,

I would love to get a pair as well in this configuration (No Rez and standard binding post).  Would you like me to PM you?

Randy

Hi Randy,

PM, or email is fine. My email address is listed in my profile.

Thanks!

Ruben

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #37 on: 22 Apr 2015, 04:43 am »
Here are some pics of a pair of finished X-LS Encores.

Standard satin black with tube connector upgrade.

The V-groove reveals prevent unsightly joint telegraphing from screwing up the smooth finish while dressing them up a bit.

Ruben

« Last Edit: 22 Apr 2015, 06:00 am by Outofthewoods »

lacro

« Reply #38 on: 22 Apr 2015, 04:44 pm »
Here are some pics of a pair of finished X-LS Encores.

Standard satin black with tube connector upgrade.

The V-groove reveals prevent unsightly joint telegraphing from screwing up the smooth finish while dressing them up a bit.

Ruben

Ruben: Those look great! That's a good idea. I wonder how they would look with a 45 degree bevel instead of the roundover? Love the satin black :thumb: Is their clear over the black?

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #39 on: 22 Apr 2015, 04:52 pm »
Ruben: Those look great! That's a good idea. I wonder how they would look with a 45 degree bevel instead of the roundover? Love the satin black :thumb: Is their clear over the black?

Thanks man!

I think bevels would look good too.

No clear, just satin lacquer. They are a much deeper black in person.

Ruben