UberBuss/TWL audition

HPDJ

UberBuss/TWL audition
« on: 27 Feb 2013, 12:50 am »
Hello all,

Hope you don't mind me starting a thread about Dave's UberBuss and some power cords from Triode Wire Labs (8ga Cryoed and 7+ models)! I was lucky enough to get a FREE in home demo of these products with my little desktop system courtesy of Mr. Charles Rollo in NYC via his Swap Meet Audio company! What an awesome guy to spend some time with and just listen to some music :)

Here are some quick impressions I had but first, my set-up:

-Decware Mini Torii II
-Resolution Audio Cantata Music Center
-Musical Surroundings Phonomena II
-Vintage Denon DP-72L Turntable
-VH Audio Hot Box power strip
-Decware Trapezium desktop speakers
-Decware IC's and speaker cables
-Audeze LCD 2 headphones
-PC running JRiver and JPlay

OK, I wish I had more time to write a longer post but maybe I'll add to it later...NE way all in all I heard some subtle improvements with the 2 PC's and the Uber. We tried a few different configurations (there were a few more we could have tried if we had the time) but I feel like I liked the 8ga PC on my DAC connected to the UberBuss the best...it helped to make the music a little smoother, highs were a bit clearer and bass a bit tighter/deeper. I think maybe I was expecting a more dramatic difference, but I think it says something about the gear I'm using really. It's pretty neat stuff and is making some sweet music! I'm actually not left wanting for much more with this set-up, but of course, I've been looking into power conditioners and PC's lately and it's because I want some more clarity and focus of the musical images of my system.

Charles and I stared listening to a CD of mine (High Priestess of Soul-Nina Simone) but I changed it quickly because I didn't feel it was the best thing to evaluate the stuff he brought over (It's not the best sounding record. It's new to me and is still a joy to listen to but I realized that I should listen to something I know REAL well). Soooo out came the Getz/Gilberto album I've been listening to for years! Charles really let me lead the whole audition and didn't push me in one direction or another. He said this was his approach when I spoke with him on the phone beforehand so I expected as much. He wanted to let the products do "the talking" and I appreciated that a lot....though I could have used some advice about how to use a short (ish) section of a song (or two?) to evaluate some gear...this is not Charles' fault, really all mine. And not really a "fault"...I should have just stuck to one track and maybe like a minute or less of a song to use with each different config. we tried with the PC and Uber. What I ended up doing was using like 3 different tracks and like 2min of each to listen. Audio memory is short so it made things a bit harder to track with each change (if your following me)...BUT I was still able to discern some favorable changes with the "toys" Charles brought over..

With the Uber/TWL, this album (again) did not "change" or "improve" dramatically....but everything just tightened up a bit and got a little clearer. This was confirmed when we removed the Uber/TWL stuff from the audio-equation.

Most of our listening was with the little Trapezium speakers on the floor and Charles remarked on how much better they sounded there...he was right and I'd been experimenting with them in that position for only a few days and had been finding it quite addictive! These little gems filled my small room up lovely and images were MUCH bigger than you would expect with them...they were a little bigger with the Uber/TWL gear....the speakers are intended and designed specifically for desktop use, but playing with positioning has proven pretty fun! At least until I can get some more space and get me some bookshelf speakers or some loudspeakers!

Lastly after lots of talk about food (eating and cooking) b/t listening to tracks, Charles amused me near the end of the demo and played with opening and closing the blinds/curtains/ and door in my room to hear what effects it would have on the sound and man....I have to say that it DID indeed change things a bit. Blinds opened and the bass deepened a little...I sat on the floor about 4ft away from the speakers while they sat 4ft apart and I could feel the bass get deeper under the carpet I sat on. Cool..

Anyway it was a great time and Charles was VERY generous to bring these components to my place FOR FREE...I think I'm gonna have to get some more time with the Uber and TWL products to better understand what they are bringing to my system, which means......... yeah, 30 day auditioning will probably end up happening soon. Well done :)