OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs / Finished Cabs

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: OB H-Frame / A370PEQ / HX800 amp Box Flat Packs
« Reply #320 on: 2 Jan 2018, 02:06 am »
I use either Titebond II or III for almost all my glueup needs. These cubes are going to be a fairly straight forward glueup so either will work fine. If the glueup is going to be complicated I prefer III since it gives me more working time.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #321 on: 2 Jan 2018, 02:23 am »
mlundy,
Thanks! 

Nothing complicated from Jay's info, so Titebond II it will be. 

If folks are interested, will post pictures of the progress. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #322 on: 2 Jan 2018, 03:17 am »
Seriously!!! You have to ask if we want pictures???  :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #323 on: 2 Jan 2018, 03:26 am »
Going to start the glue-up of my modular 2x12 H-Frames tomorrow. 

I am thinking about using Titebond II glue as before, but does someone have a better recommendation for adhesive?  All I have locally are Lowes, Ace Hardware and a local hardware store.  That limits selection a bit.

Let me know.

Cool Rich, LMK if you have any ?'s along the  way, should be  pretty  straight forward.
That glue will be fine  for this

jay

edit   ahhh,  , didn't se this next  page, you  guys have already  solved the world's problems   :)
LOL,  as Mike said , dumb ?  Rich   :duh:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #324 on: 2 Jan 2018, 03:28 am »
Jay,

Will get the glue tomorrow and start the process. 

mlundy,

Will post pictures as it goes along.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #325 on: 2 Jan 2018, 03:47 pm »
Just found a pretty full closed bottle of Titebond III, but it is about 2 years old left over after the 3x8" build.  Shook it up, looks ok and seems to be drying and hardening correctly. 

When I looked online should be good for 2 years when stored at room temp and not frozen. 

Should I just get new glue, or is the bottle ok?

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #326 on: 2 Jan 2018, 04:01 pm »
If you have a couple scrap pieces of MDF you could glue them together, let them dry overnight then break them apart. If they fail at the glue line the glue is bad. If the wood breaks someplace other than the glue line itself the glue is good. Right next to the glue line is fine, just so long as the wood breaks but the glue line holds.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #327 on: 2 Jan 2018, 04:15 pm »
Thanks!
Easier to get a new bottle and start fresh. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #328 on: 2 Jan 2018, 04:48 pm »
Thanks!
Easier to get a new bottle and start fresh.

Yup, good plan  :thumb:

jay

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #329 on: 2 Jan 2018, 07:18 pm »
Starting the build of the two 2x12 modular H-Frame servo sub flatpack builds.

The shipping box contains parts for one 2x12 and extremely well packed to protect against shipping gorillas. The flat packs have all the parts and very well packed from Jay and Don. Just supply glue and clamps.

New 16oz bottle of Titebond III glue like I used on the 6x12's awhile back.

Unpacked and time to let the Medex come to room temperature before gluing.

The first set of GR-Research SW-12-16FR servo sub drivers are unboxed from the main box for the individual boxes for protection.

Wiring for the Rythmik Audio HX300 servo amps are done, Just have to wire the drivers to Speakon connectors.

Captainhemo

« Reply #330 on: 2 Jan 2018, 08:22 pm »
Starting the build of the two 2x12 modular H-Frame servo sub flatpack builds.

The shipping box contains parts for one 2x12 and extremely well packed to protect against shipping gorillas. The flat packs have all the parts and very well packed from Jay and Don. Just supply glue and clamps.

New 16oz bottle of Titebond III glue like I used on the 6x12's awhile back.

Unpacked and time to let the Medex come to room temperature before gluing.

The first set of GR-Research SW-12-16FR servo sub drivers are unboxed from the main box for the individual boxes for protection.

Wiring for the Rythmik Audio HX300 servo amps are done, Just have to wire the drivers to Speakon connectors.

Glad it all  was undamaged... we try to pack to avoid it .

jay

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #331 on: 2 Jan 2018, 09:50 pm »
Damn,

Jay.  You do great work!

Captainhemo

« Reply #332 on: 2 Jan 2018, 10:07 pm »
Damn,

Jay.  You do great work!

We try   man   :D  Hope you enjoyed your   holiday up  int he NW .   

jay

JakeJ

« Reply #333 on: 3 Jan 2018, 02:36 am »
Hi HAL,

Are the two boxes with GR Research logos the rest of the kit?  Amps, drivers, wiring, hardware, etc.?  If so would you please do an un-boxing series couple of photos?  I'm thinking open one box, take a picture of everything still packed.  Then take a photo of everything out and laid out in front of the box.

Jake

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #334 on: 3 Jan 2018, 02:42 am »
JakeJ,
No, the two GR-Research boxes are the 12" servo drivers I bought from Danny directly to install in the 2x12 H-Frames when they are built.  Just drivers and screws to mount them in the open baffle cabinets.

I separately bought HX300 amps, drivers, wiring and connectors for the system. 

JakeJ

« Reply #335 on: 3 Jan 2018, 03:31 am »
Quick response!  I edited and you posted before I got done.  OK, I thought you bought full kits and the flat packs from the captain.

There are many ways to execute this design, my plan at present is to build a set of the subs driven by the A370PEQ amps as standalone subs to play with in my HT and main stereo.  Then, as opportunity allows, work up a set of vertical arrays similar to HAL's Monolith design.  I have 8 Neo8's and 8 Neo3's  from the pre Christie Digital/BG era and I have access to machining and so can have a solid metal frame fabricated which I want to then sandwich with materials to damp vibrations.  I envision the front of the baffle covered with wood that can have waveguides routed in.  Yes, this will be dipole and yes, I have a lot to learn still.  Fortunately there are plenty of resources.

My dream speaker project that is obviously based on other's work but intrigues me enough to pursue it.

Sorry for going a bit OT, now back to our regularly scheduled thread, :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #336 on: 3 Jan 2018, 03:54 am »
Quick response!  I edited and you posted before I got done.  OK, I thought you bought full kits and the flat packs from the captain.

There are many ways to execute this design, my plan at present is to build a set of the subs driven by the A370PEQ amps as standalone subs to play with in my HT and main stereo.  Then, as opportunity allows, work up a set of vertical arrays similar to HAL's Monolith design.  I have 8 Neo8's and 8 Neo3's  from the pre Christie Digital/BG era and I have access to machining and so can have a solid metal frame fabricated which I want to then sandwich with materials to damp vibrations.  I envision the front of the baffle covered with wood that can have waveguides routed in.  Yes, this will be dipole and yes, I have a lot to learn still.  Fortunately there are plenty of resources.

My dream speaker project that is obviously based on other's work but intrigues me enough to pursue it.

Sorry for going a bit OT, now back to our regularly scheduled thread, :thumb:

It's pretty seamless actually  we can supply you with  the flat packs (either modular or non-modular) that match up perfectly with Danny's electronics.  You'll get everything you  need to compete the build.  If you  prefer, completed cabinets also are an option but  shipping costs increase due to size/volume.

Our modular subs are easily upgradable if you start with duals. Going to   triples,  quads , or even 6 stacks is  pretty straight forward  (quads and 6 stacks  will need a change from the  A370 PEQ to the HX800).. If  you anticipate a  possible upgrade from the duals,  be sure you  start with the  SW12 16FR woofer,  the Sw12 08FR  won't work for  triples or 6 stacks  ....  gets  a little confusing  as you could actually go from  duals to quads using the   SW12 08FR's, but triples  or  6 stacks  require the  16's due to impedence load.

Making a speaker with  Neo3/Neo8's is not going to work, they   cover similar  ranges (the Neo 8 a bit lower) but  neither  will reach low enough , even in a wave guide, to  cross to the   OB subs.  Additionally, if you are only using  4 Neo 3's per speakaer in a line, you  are going to run into serious filtering issues, you'd be better off using a  single  Neo3 or going  to say 9 (minimum   or 16 (preferable).
The Neo 3/Neo10 is going to be a far better  match, how you lay them out and implement them  will be a huge factor in how  successful you end up being with this.... there's a lot  going on here, it can take some time to get a hndle on it, and  even when you think you 've got it, you may not... trust me   :lol:

But, you're in the right place  ,  lots of great info here and Danny  is always  willing to help 

jay
« Last Edit: 3 Jan 2018, 06:25 am by Captainhemo »

JakeJ

« Reply #337 on: 3 Jan 2018, 12:47 pm »
Hi Jay,

Thanks, I planned on you as my go to for the flat packs when i'm ready.  My sole purpose right now is finding a property and moving ASAP.  Once that is accomplished and I have my own space to work with then I can make plans.

Jake

Captainhemo

« Reply #338 on: 3 Jan 2018, 04:55 pm »
Hi Jay,

Thanks, I planned on you as my go to for the flat packs when i'm ready.  My sole purpose right now is finding a property and moving ASAP.  Once that is accomplished and I have my own space to work with then I can make plans.

Jake

Sounds good Jake. Best of luck with your property search.  LMK when you  want to talk

jay

JakeJ

« Reply #339 on: 3 Jan 2018, 05:11 pm »
I will.  Ya know, I'm just down here in SE Washington and it's only a ~6 hour drive to Kelowna.  I'm thinkin' I should make the trip after things thaw out this spring and check out what y'all got goin' on.