GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: GedLee Abbey's Feedback Wanted!
« Reply #40 on: 3 Oct 2010, 07:34 pm »
http://mehlau.net/audio/multisub_geddes/

Very interesting.  So different then what I'm used to. 

TomS

« Reply #41 on: 3 Oct 2010, 07:41 pm »
Very interesting.  So different that what I'm used to.
It works.  Try a variety of subs, not all the same, nor necessarily the same xo's.  Use one primary in a corner with some room gain, then the other 2 or 3 scattered about closer to and behind the listening position, but 6-10db down from the primary.  You really can't tell they're even there or on at all most of the time, but the overall bass response is much smoother.  There is no particular magic or voodoo in this, as averaged measurements around the listening position confirm what's happening.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #42 on: 3 Oct 2010, 07:47 pm »
It works.  Try a variety of subs, not all the same, nor necessarily the same xo's.  Use one primary in a corner with some room gain, then the other 2 or 3 scattered about closer to and behind the listening position, but 6-10db down from the primary.  You really can't tell they're even there or on at all most of the time, but the overall bass response is much smoother.  There is no particular magic or voodoo in this, as averaged measurements around the listening position confirm what's happening.

What software do you use?  REW?  What would the feq range be for each sub?  Lets say we're using three.

TomS

« Reply #43 on: 3 Oct 2010, 08:14 pm »
I use Room EQ Wizard and ocasionally HOLM acoustics.

My pair of dual GR OB servos' go to about 80 hz.  A sealed GR servo serves as primary in a front corner and goes to about 50 hz.  I'm still experimenting with placement of the OB's as I was previously using those as stands for the Abbeys.  I am building new shorter stands so once those are done I can move the OB subs around.  I also have an SVS CS Ultra (ported tube style) that I can throw in for good measure in the back of the room.  I've been considering some sort of bigger sealed sub for ULF duty, which is what I'm thinking Anand was doing, 2 U-frames and a ULF or 2.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #44 on: 3 Oct 2010, 08:21 pm »

My pair of dual GR OB servos' go to about 80 hz.  A sealed GR servo serves as primary in a front corner and goes to about 50 hz. 

The pair go to 80Hz from where?  The second to 50Hz from where? 

Is it 15Hz > 50Hz (pair) then 50Hz > 80Hz (single)? 

TomS

« Reply #45 on: 3 Oct 2010, 08:27 pm »
The pair go to 80Hz from where?  The second to 50Hz from where? 

Is it 15Hz > 50Hz (pair) then 50Hz > 80Hz (single)?
The high passes are just the subsonic filters in the amps.  OB's go from about 20-80 low pass, sealed 20-50 low pass.  I don't think there are any absolutes on this as it depends on room and other factors.  There is a LOT of flexibility in tuning this way, but generally you'd would want to overlap.  Earl uses bandpass subs with sharper acoustic rolloffs and I think runs them up higher.  Mine sounds quite good so I just quit fussing with it as there are endless possibilities.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #46 on: 3 Oct 2010, 10:25 pm »
I've been considering some sort of bigger sealed sub for ULF duty, which is what I'm thinking Anand was doing, 2 U-frames and a ULF or 2.

So Jason, you can see why I was interested in the Rythmik sub to take care of the super low end i.e. <20 Hz to about 50hz was what I was thinking. I don't know what the crossover slope will be, it all depends on measurements, but definitely the sub will be near the corner. My current U-frame subs crossover at 90Hz, Butterworth, 4th order. I tried multiple other crossover points and slopes (even the popular LR) but the Butterworth worked best.

Markus Mehlau's site is a very nice one as well that goes into the specifics of the Geddes asymmetric sub placement. Everybody should read that as well as Todd Welti's/Floyd's symmetric sub placement technique to better educate themselves with subwoofer optimization, not only with Geddes speakers, but literally any speaker. This is pioneering stuff in my opinion.

Anand.

dwr

« Reply #47 on: 4 Oct 2010, 12:57 am »
Like Anand I am crossing my home brew subs at 90Hz, so they are handling the 20-90Hz frequencies, I also run mine 90 degrees out of phase using L-R slopes and they blend seamlessly with my Abbey 12A's.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #48 on: 4 Oct 2010, 12:02 pm »
Like Anand I am crossing my home brew subs at 90Hz, so they are handling the 20-90Hz frequencies, I also run mine 90 degrees out of phase using L-R slopes and they blend seamlessly with my Abbey 12A's.

Welcome to A.C.!!!  Post some pics of those Abbey's.   :thumb:

DougSmith

• What will the next hundred years bring?
« Reply #49 on: 4 Oct 2010, 01:26 pm »
I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents...  I built a pair of Abbeys last year and haven't stopped loving them. They have great imaging, dynamics and a very natural sounding high end (not overly accentuated like so many speakers).  I run them full range with two bandpass subs in the mix (no crossover). The subs contribute from ~20 to 110 Hz.  I am using a DCX & class D amp to drive the subs. Pics of the speakers and stands in are in this linked thread.  Some info on the subs can be found at this link.   

-Doug 

dwr

« Reply #50 on: 4 Oct 2010, 03:06 pm »
OK JTW here are a couple of pics one at a time I guess, here is a close up of one Abbey.

dwr

« Reply #51 on: 4 Oct 2010, 03:08 pm »

And here is one of the whole system.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #52 on: 4 Oct 2010, 03:10 pm »
Very nice!   :thumb:

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #53 on: 4 Oct 2010, 06:40 pm »
I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents...  I built a pair of Abbeys last year and haven't stopped loving them. They have great imaging, dynamics and a very natural sounding high end (not overly accentuated like so many speakers).  I run them full range with two bandpass subs in the mix (no crossover). The subs contribute from ~20 to 110 Hz.  I am using a DCX & class D amp to drive the subs. Pics of the speakers and stands in are in this linked thread.  Some info on the subs can be found at this link.   

-Doug

Cool.   8)

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #54 on: 4 Oct 2010, 07:31 pm »
Anyone in the southeast region (FL, GA, AL, SC...) willing to allow an audition of any GedLee model?
TIA.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #55 on: 4 Oct 2010, 11:18 pm »
Anyone in the southeast region (FL, GA, AL, SC...) willing to allow an audition of any GedLee model?
TIA.

I'm sure there is one...

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #56 on: 4 Oct 2010, 11:57 pm »
What is the foam used in the waveguide on the Gedlee speakers?  I have a horn loaded coax speaker that I'd like to do some experiments with.

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #57 on: 5 Oct 2010, 12:06 am »
I'm sure there is one...

I am in Chattanooga, TN area and would LOVE to find someone close as well that would offer me the opportunity to hear the Abbey's.

Cheers,

James

dwr

« Reply #58 on: 5 Oct 2010, 12:07 am »
Tyson,
That I believe is proprietary information and also patented by Dr Geddes. I do not believe he is going to put that information out there for public consumption.

Bear

« Reply #59 on: 5 Oct 2010, 12:29 am »
Anyone in Austin with Gedlees? If not then Texas? Very interested

Ditto, Austin or San Antonio, TX area???