5/7 Session: Tweekgeek opens home to SCAudioRagers!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #20 on: 10 May 2005, 06:21 am »
Russtafarian:  
Mike dropped in a Japanese Drum/Percussion disc that really tested the dynamic output of the system, pushing both amps and speakers to the very (but not quite) edge
    Was that the Kodo Drum group ? Thanks...  :) [/list:u]

Hajime Sato

« Reply #21 on: 10 May 2005, 07:07 am »
I believe it was a Chinese drums group, not Japanese. I should have written them down, but can Mike and others provide the CD information so those of us interested can purchase them? I'm especially interested on the following:

1) The Chinese drums track
2) American Beauty soundtrack or original score
3) Buddy Guy song

They were awesome, and as much as I like the number from Wynton Marsalis Quartet (the CD is "The Magic Hour" from Blue Note; we played track 1, with guest singer Diane Reeves), frankly I thought it paled in comparison to the above recordings.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #22 on: 10 May 2005, 07:16 am »
Quote from: Hajime Sato

3) Buddy Guy song
Might that song be "Done Got Old" from the cd..."Sweet Tea" ??? (its a excellent tune for demo's :) )

lonewolfny42

« Reply #23 on: 10 May 2005, 07:19 am »
Question...About the set-up for the SP Tech's....about how far apart was their placement. Thanks !! :)

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
« Reply #24 on: 10 May 2005, 01:09 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Question...About the set-up for the SP Tech's....about how far apart was their placement. Thanks !! :)

The SP Techs were exactly 8 feet apart.  In retrospect, they should have been at least another foot apart.  When I reassembled my living room, I found that they sounded way better with some more distance between them.

Regarding the CD tracks, I have to give credit to Craig Goff of Kryophysics.  He turned me on to the American Beauty film score (NOT soundtrack), and the "poems of thunder" CD by Yim-Hok-Man.  Mark Hampton of ZCable gave me a specially burned copy of Buddy Guy's "Blues Singer".  The song we listened to was track 11, "Anna Lee".

Gordy

craiggoff

• http://kryophysics.com
Banging the drum at Mike's place
« Reply #26 on: 10 May 2005, 09:36 pm »
Hello to Gordy and everyone who attended the AudioFest of West Covina this last Saturday.  As a newbie to the oft-heralded meetings at Mike Garner's place I want to extend my heartfelt thanks to our gracious host, hostess and the host(ile) beastie named Raymond (sp?) Just kidding Raymond!

Until recently, I was helping to provide the "cryo" treatment in Mike's CryoTweaks, but now that Mike has changed the name of his business, all I can provide is the "Geek" part of the equation (uh-oh, my engineering heritage betrays me).  Oh well, you've got to do what comes naturally....

My impressions of the afternoon were all positive: good food, fun, fellowship and frequencies.  My only regret was not being able to have the chance to talk to more of you on a personal level, since most of my time was consumed talking with Dave and Francisco of PFO and Gary Brashear of Stillpoints/ERS.  I'm definitely looking forward to other SoCal audio festivities and getting a chance to see and hear more about the gang.

Again, thanks to all of those who sweated thru the setup and changing out of the various components we auditioned, your services were greatly appreciated :D   Needless to say, your efforts were not in vain, as the sound got better and better as the afternoon wore on.  Very impressive!

A quick note about two of the CDs I brought for audition, the American Beauty movie soundtrack and Chinese percussionist Yim Hok Man's "Poems of Thunder".  I've used both for some time now to test soundstaging, detail and bass dynamics/articulation.  Though the American Beauty is a domestic pressing, my Poems of Thunder CD was purchased on Amazon from Europe so that I could get the German pressing of the work.  I think I paid about $15 with shipping.

When compared to Mike's domestic pressing of the CD, the German pressing is clearer and more dynamic top-to-bottom.   :o   Seems hard to believe, but it's true!

Also, apologies for those of you who wanted to review the info on my Kryophysics website, it's currently down as I change content and providers.  Back online soon!

See you all soon in SoCal -

Craig Goff

Hajime Sato

« Reply #27 on: 10 May 2005, 10:21 pm »
Mike, Gordy and Craing, thanks for the info on music.