Alita preamp out levels

evilcat

Alita preamp out levels
« on: 15 Jun 2021, 03:53 pm »
I love my Alita, it's the heart of my system. My speaker system is the original Key LS50 Wireless, connected by RCA cables running from the Alita's preamp out to the Kef's analog in. It's not perfect, since the Kefs perform ADC to apply their dynamic crossover DSP, but it works.

Here's the question, though: unlike a standard line out, the volume control affects the single-ended line out of the Alita. By ear, I've set the volume to 85 - 90db, but I was wondering if there's an "approved" output level that equates to a standard line out? I prefer to have the fine volume control on the Kefs, and setting the Alita to its highest volume seemed to introduce some distortion.

Experimenting, it seems 85 is a safe minimum, although it depends on the source, For rock music I prefer to push it closer to 90. I'd be interested to know what the designers intended to be the correct volume for line out.

rustydoglim

• Facilitator
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
Re: Alita preamp out levels
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2021, 05:49 pm »
We have updated the FAQ that described our DAC's volume control:  https://nuprimeaudio.com/ufaqs/what-kind-of-volume-control-and-preamp-do-you-use-for-your-dac/

The distortion from the analog output should not go up with volume as far as the Alita is concern. But then you have to take into consideration of the active speaker's amp.  Therefore unless you can dismantle the speaker to measure the entire system's distortion, your approach of listening to find the ideal volume level is the best way.