Sept 26 LAOC Audio Society Meeting/Swap Meet

Mad DOg

« on: 31 Aug 2004, 06:50 am »
Dear Friends and Audio Dealers,
The Location of the Grand Silent Auction of the Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society:

***Holiday Inn and Conference Center   7000 Beach Blvd.  JUST Off the 91 at Beach exit   Buena Park

Sunday  Sept. 26   11am-1pm for set up    1-3pm for Auction   FREE tables for our dealers!

Marquis III Ballroom     Gorgeous tables and surroundings for selling!

***YOUR SIGNAGE MOST WELCOME!!! Banners, Table Cards, Posters are Great!

Call me at 714-2815850 if you need any info or email me!! Bring new, demo, or used gear to sell!!!

LP's, CD's, and SACD's in Packages/Groups only...no individual sales.

Warmest regards and see you on Sept. 26,

Bob Levi
President
Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society
Website: laocaudiosociety.com for specific directions and MORE auction details!!

Mad DOg

latest notice..
« Reply #1 on: 21 Sep 2004, 06:32 pm »
Dear Members and Dealers,

The Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society Grand Silent Auction will be a BLAST!!!

Soundstrings Cable, our wonderful sponser, will bring great door prizes!

Ads ARE Placed in the LA Times and OC Register and every website we can find!

Bring your gear etc. to sell between 11am-1pm and pick up a bid sheet from John Casler or Fo Tien.

Then after your table's bidding closes, see Art Shapiro for your dough. It's that easy!!!!!

Set up a system to make music if you like. Banners, signs, and cards are welcome!

Bring alot, sell alot! We have the Marquis Ballroom and a zillion gorgeous tables!

Set minimum bids or just go commando!

Tell YOUR Friends and co-workers about "audio bargains galore" from audiophiles!!!!

It's at the Holiday Inn, 7000 Beach Blvd., Buena Park, just off the 91. Set up: 11-1pm  Auction: 1-4pm

We're only doing this every other year...if you miss THIS Sunday, you'll have to wait until 2006!!!!!

Again, TELL YOUR Friends and we'll see you Sunday,

Bob Levi

President

laocaudiosociety.com for directions and future events

Jon L

Clarification
« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2004, 04:40 pm »
Mad Dog, is it 90:10 or 80:20 split on the sale for a regular member like Me?  I'd hate to be cheap, but if it's 80:20, I'd rather sell the stuff on Agon.

If I go for it, I've got some neat stuff I can sell, including:

Neuance "badboy" shelf--latest model, absolute mint

Machina Dynamic Promethean Base--complete with brand new springs, DH cones, TechnaSonic damper, etc.

Furutech RD-2 demagnetizer

Bedini Ultra Clarifier (2 beam)

SCE Harmonic Recovery System

TDS "audiophile" Pro unit, modded with XLR outputs

Mad DOg

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2004, 05:20 pm »
80:20 for members...

Mad DOg

GREAT swap meet!
« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2004, 02:23 am »
Thanks to Scot Markwell of themusic.com and the rest of the members who brought goodies to sell, what a GREAT swap meet/auction it was!

I've got to thank Bob Levi as I picked up his "hand me down" Tice power conditioner! :)  Got back home, plugged it in for a few hours to charge up and I've gotta say, what an AWESOME deal cuz this improved the sound of my system!

Also picked up some Audio Power power conditioning pieces sold by themusic.com at UNBELIEVABLE prices for my home theater system! Tried out the Bedini CD Clarifier and Black Diamond racing cones after I got home...Man, I hope we do this next year again and get the same turn out we did today! I can definitely stock up on more of these types of goodies again!  :thumb:

Jon L

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2004, 04:56 am »
You are telling me!  
What did I score...

6 BDR cones for $5/each.  I already have a dozen or so, but I can always use more.

The awesome Osiris speaker stands.  I paid less than 1/6th retail.

Osiris Giza amp stand and Osiris Ariel pneumatic stand.  I'm embarrassed to even mention what I paid for these  :oops:

Frank (the man with Osiris), if you are reading this, please e-mail me as I have a question.

-----
What others scored on

Adcom GDA 700 DAC--$20
MSB Link 24/96 DAC--$20
Nakamichi original 1000 tape deck--$1 (you read that correctly)

You people in CA need to come next time :lol:

jswallac

« Reply #6 on: 27 Sep 2004, 05:19 am »
Sounds like a great place for buyers.  Then again, that means it was less than great for the sellers!

Mad DOg

« Reply #7 on: 27 Sep 2004, 05:38 am »
if i didn't already have the osiris speaker stands, i would've been all over those...if i didn't already have the polycrystal amp stands, i would've been all over those, too.

yeah, jon, you gotta a smokin' deal!  :)

man, i should've bought ALL the BDR cones!!! now that i got 3, i can DEFINITELY use more!!!  :evil:

Jon L

« Reply #8 on: 27 Sep 2004, 03:27 pm »
Quote from: jswallac
Sounds like a great place for buyers.  Then again, that means it was less than great for the sellers!

You're right!  But the seller didn't have to sell b/c you could set a reserve.  I brought a Tekline silver power cord to sell, but my reserve was too high, which was fine by me.  A lot of people were just looking to clean out garage space.  

There were some things I wanted but didnt' really need.  The pair of Heil Motion tweeters were very tempting.  It must have weighed 15 Lb/each!  Somebody was also selling some DIY full-range speakers cheap, so if you stick the Heil tweeter on top of the full-ranger (which likely cuts off around 10kHz), run an active x-over...  Lots of fun, but didn't need it.

Also saw a pair of Maggie SMGa's for $100.  I really wanted these.  My roommate used to have them with a sub.  They really sound great with "mass market" gear.  But my wife would kill me it's so ugly.

A nice Reference Line passive pre was up for grabs at $300.  I KNOW these will sound great, but I already run the King of resistive passives, EVS Ultimates.  Wanted it, didn't need it.  

Also a couple of Goertz silver triode IC's, for $20/pair.  But how many interconnects can I have lying around in my house?  

Mad Dog, I told you you need them BDR's.  Actually, what you need is a set of #4's.  I find #3 to be a bit to the romantic side and #4 bit on clinical side.  It works great to mix and max #3 and #4 under the same component.  

Also, I found some new Pass&Seymour 5242 AC outlets (the ones  ACME uses) at home.  I also have a spare double-cryo'd Hubbell IG5362 outlet, which I treasure more than my child (well, don't have one yet).  If you want to play with'em in your newly-won MIT power conditioner, we'll work something out.

Did I mention, I just bought some Belden 83802 wire, the best wire I know for DIY power cords?  Your jaw will drop once you take out the generic cord on your power conditioner for a double run of this monster.

F-100

« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2004, 03:51 pm »
Look like you guys had hitted the jackpot :). Congrats.

Mad DOg

« Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2004, 04:11 pm »
Quote from: Jon L
Mad Dog, I told you you need them BDR's. Actually, what you need is a set of #4's. I find #3 to be a bit to the romantic side and #4 bit on clinical side. It works great to mix and max #3 and #4 under the same component.

yeah, actually, i should be thanking you for recommending that i try out a set of BDRs. if it weren't for you, i probably would've passed on them for something else. so THANK YOU, Jon! :)

Also, I found some new Pass&Seymour 5242 AC outlets (the ones ACME uses) at home. I also have a spare double-cryo'd Hubbell IG5362 outlet, which I treasure more than my child (well, don't have one yet). If you want to play with'em in your newly-won MIT power conditioner, we'll work something out.

i'm really happy with the improvements that the Tice has made already! any more improvements would be gravy...:) although then i'd have to spend more money to buy them! :cry:

Did I mention, I just bought some Belden 83802 wire, the best wire I know for DIY power cords? Your jaw will drop once you take out the generic cord on your power conditioner for a double run of this monster....

no, you didn't...this might be very interesting to see how much more performance can be extracted out of the Tice... :?:

shokunin

« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2004, 04:31 pm »
Man, looks like I missed out on some great deals.   :cry:   Maybe next year...

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #12 on: 27 Sep 2004, 05:19 pm »
Here's what I picked up for pocket change:

JBL computer programmable universal remote, Osiris amp stand, Osiris air-bladder component stand, Taddeo Digital Antidote 2.  I also landed a Classic Records DAD and a Soundstring Power Cable in the raffle.  I sold a number of SACD titles that I didn't listen to much in the auction.  I'll use that money to pick up some  RCA Living Presence SACDs that just came out.  All-in-all, a profitable afternoon.

Mad Dog got the same remote, but because his had the Madrigal name on it instead of JBL, he had to pay TWICE as much as I did! ($2 vs. $1).  That's high-end for you!  :lol:

The amp stand found a home under my subwoofer, but the score of the day was the Digital Antidote.  I dropped it in the rig last night with the soundstring power cable and WOW is it doing something special.   :dance: This could be the missing link that takes my digital amp to the next level.   :rock:

A happy Russtafarian.