So Cal Listening Session

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
So Cal Listening Session
« Reply #40 on: 11 Aug 2004, 01:08 am »
No problem.  I have vested interest in getting opinions on the 201's vs SOA.   :lol:

Hard to say what difference the adapters were introducing since going to xlr cables meant I was going from a fully balanced preamp to a fully balanced amp (which improved things by itself).

I haven't yet changed the gain settings inside the 201's.  I want to do this at some point since I now use a passive preamp (Bent NOH).  I haven't been a rush since I think dynamics are pretty damn good and the volume pot is usually around noon to two.

George

John Casler

So Cal Listening Session
« Reply #41 on: 11 Aug 2004, 02:10 am »
Just got off the phone from KeithR and he has his 201s and I told him as soon as the Son of Ampzilla shows up and gets a few hours on it we will try to do a "pre-comparison" both on his Wilson Sophias and on my VMPS 626Rs.

I'm expecting big things out of both these amps, and looking (hearing) forward to comparing them.
 :duel:

KeithR

So Cal Listening Session
« Reply #42 on: 11 Aug 2004, 02:12 am »
btw, John forgot to mention that I'm looking for a local Rives Audio dealer to do a Level 2 room acoustics mod.  If anyone knows of somebody that is recommended, please pass along!

shokunin

So Cal Listening Session
« Reply #43 on: 11 Aug 2004, 03:48 am »
John/Keith,

Let me know when you do the pre-shootout, I'd love to be there if I can.  When are the ampzillas arriving?

Sa-dono

Re: preamp
« Reply #44 on: 11 Aug 2004, 06:59 am »
Quote from: shokunin
MD,

I forget which preamp your using, but does it have balanced out?  The Rowlands are balanced inputs only, unless you use a xlr->rca adapter which I don't have.   I believe John's SOA is in the same boat but requires a phono  adapter instead of an RCA adapter.

I have plenty of balanced cables here if your preamp has balanced outputs.

MD has the Aragon Aurum. It does have balanced outputs, so you could bring the balanced cables. What cables do you have though?

Sa-dono

So Cal Listening Session
« Reply #45 on: 11 Aug 2004, 07:02 am »
Keep us updated with thoughts from the pre-shootout. :)

shokunin

« Reply #46 on: 11 Aug 2004, 07:56 am »
Quote from: Sa-dono

MD has the Aragon Aurum. It does have balanced outputs, so you could bring the balanced cables. What cables do you have though?

Hey Sa-dono,

thanks for the info.  Let's see,  Nordost Valkyrja, Kimber KS-1130, cardas golden reference, cardas neutral reference, and some unused RSA MSE cables.   I can bring some or all of them.

KeithR

So Cal Listening Session
« Reply #47 on: 11 Aug 2004, 06:24 pm »
Quote from: John Casler
Just got off the phone from KeithR and he has his 201s and I told him as soon as the Son of Ampzilla shows up and gets a few hours on it we will try to do a "pre-comparison" both on his Wilson Sophias and on my VMPS 626Rs.

I'm expecting big things out of both these amps, and looking (hearing) forward to comparing them.
 :duel:

I did quite a bit of listening last night comparing my Bryston and the 201s.  Each amps character seems to be defined much better the more I listen to them.  I'm holding my comments for now to rid bias of John/anyone else who wants to join.

I think we are estimating the shootout late next week, depending on if the SOA comes in this week.

Sa-dono

« Reply #48 on: 12 Aug 2004, 06:27 am »

Hey Sa-dono,

thanks for the info.  Let's see,  Nordost Valkyrja, Kimber KS-1130, cardas golden reference, cardas neutral reference, and some unused RSA MSE cables.   I can bring some or all of them.

We probably want to use the most transparent cables possible, to not skew the results. MD probably wants to compare with his PII's, so the same IC's with RCA connectors could be helpful. I guess just bring them all, and we can experiment. We can probably convince Mike to bring his cables as well.

Mad DOg

« Reply #49 on: 13 Aug 2004, 09:43 pm »
MD,

I forget which preamp your using, but does it have balanced out?  The Rowlands are balanced inputs only, unless you use a xlr->rca adapter which I don't have.   I believe John's SOA is in the same boat but requires a phono  adapter instead of an RCA adapter.

I have plenty of balanced cables here if your preamp has balanced outputs.

i believe my aurum has balanced outs...i'll check when i return in a few days! thanks...