My First Topic-What to Do

Mad Mr H

Re: My First Topic-What to Do
« Reply #380 on: 30 Dec 2009, 02:08 pm »
For 2ch

Bryston BP20,25,26 are all balanced output units.

The 25 is a 20 with remote control option.

The 26 uses the newer MPS2 power supply.

(BP6 & 16 are not balanced)

5ch the SP1.7 & SP2 are balanced out.

When you say "no frills" unit what would you do without? or want included?

1oldguy

« Reply #381 on: 30 Dec 2009, 10:41 pm »
As far as I know the SP2 doesn't have the latest standards for movies.Correct me if I'm wrong.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #382 on: 30 Dec 2009, 10:46 pm »
As far as I know the SP2 doesn't have the latest standards for movies.Correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct - the SP2 does not decode the current DD and DTS HD formats.

james

1oldguy

« Reply #383 on: 30 Dec 2009, 10:50 pm »
Thanks James

Is there a way around this?If it's done by the Blue Ray player I take it it doesn't have to be done by the sp2 to partake of these sound formats?
How much is the SP2?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #384 on: 30 Dec 2009, 11:03 pm »
Thanks James

Is there a way around this?If it's done by the Blue Ray player I take it it doesn't have to be done by the sp2 to partake of these sound formats?
How much is the SP2?

I use my Pioneer BlueRay DVD players analog out into the 5.1 analog bypass on the SP2.

james

Mad Mr H

« Reply #385 on: 30 Dec 2009, 11:56 pm »
Hi,

My answer was based on the question being about balanced outs, audio formats is another ball game.....

Are you going 5ch again?

Or sticking with 2ch?

I play blu ray (& HD DVD) films in my 2ch system, Most players have a 2ch mode.......(my 5ch as well)

The other way is to go 5ch and get a player that decodes on board then sends out via 5.1ch RCA.

Then you need 5ch pro that accepts 5.1

(Or 7.1 if required)

I did 5ch analogue with a Denon 3800 Blu player and my Lexicon MC12B.

Maybe consider 2ch whilst waiting for the SP3 ???

I would hope the SP3 is feature packed to be up to date at time of release, the Blu Ray world (& HDMI) has now slowed down and seems to be at (or very close) to final concept stage..............Now is a good time for product release - I think we are still at HDMI 1.3b, not checked for some time !

OR in my 5ch system as a stop gap I bought an Onkyo 886 (Integra 9.9) processor.......thats £1500 in the UK and about $2000 US (I think)
Maybe less now, I bought mine a good year ago.........the previous Onkyo 885 was very similar.

The new version after the 886 is the PR SC5507 and has Balanced outs, bi amp options for front L & R, Twin SUB balanced outs, it even has the MOST UP TO DATE 9.2 OUTPUTS and runs the audyssey room EQ system like so many are using these days..........

I think that fills the "stop gap" space......

1oldguy

« Reply #386 on: 31 Dec 2009, 01:17 am »
Hi Andy

Yes 5.1 pre is what I need.But wanted something that has xlr and the latest decoders built in.But also want great 2 channel audio.
But I believe that James himself pointed out,I could be wrong of course that for best 2 channel audio it would be better to go with the Bp26.
The there is the issue of room correction that concerns me because of my room certainly not near the standers I need/want for audio or movies.

srb

« Reply #387 on: 31 Dec 2009, 03:02 am »
Yes 5.1 pre is what I need.But wanted something that has xlr and the latest decoders built in.But also want great 2 channel audio.
But I believe that James himself pointed out,I could be wrong of course that for best 2 channel audio it would be better to go with the Bp26.
The there is the issue of room correction that concerns me because of my room certainly not near the standers I need/want for audio or movies.

For balanced outputs, room correction and good 2 channel - Anthem AVM 50v or Classe SSP-800 (manual room correction).  But I thought you already bought a Rotel RSP-1570?

Steve

Mad Mr H

« Reply #388 on: 31 Dec 2009, 08:42 am »
Hi Andy

5.1 with XLR, latest decoders, great 2ch audio - Yep Onkyo Pro fits that spec.

BEST 2 ch audio - Yep BP26 fits that spec.

Room correction is an area that I think you should worry about AFTER you have the kit you want............AND you then need to trust the test kit and NOT what you think sounds right.......

JAMES - Is there room for a Bryston "old school" analogue parametric EQ in the range......? not sure about demand these days......

Mad Mr H

« Reply #389 on: 31 Dec 2009, 08:44 am »

For balanced outputs, room correction and good 2 channel - Anthem AVM 50v or Classe SSP-800 (manual room correction).  But I thought you already bought a Rotel RSP-1570?

Steve

Hi Steve, whats the price of those two?

Brendan - Do you really already have a Rotel?

srb

« Reply #390 on: 31 Dec 2009, 09:12 am »

For balanced outputs, room correction and good 2 channel - Anthem AVM 50v or Classe SSP-800 (manual room correction)

Anthem AVM 50v:  $5499
Classe SSP-800:  $8000

Steve

Mad Mr H

« Reply #391 on: 31 Dec 2009, 09:30 am »
Thanks Steve,

So Classe is SP3 money - wait for specs then compare in home.....
Anthem close in price again.

Arcam gets good write ups and spoken highly of by owners in UK I know.

Those would be considerations instead of the SP3, the Onkyo (Integra) I feel a cheaper stop gap - and find one second hand and even better.......

For the price the Onkyo ticks all the boxes, and quality is so much better than I thought it would be, the 885/886 even better value for money - Like I say though, I bought as a stop gap unit as the HD DVD/Blu battle was on, the HDMI specs changed monthly, Blu were still working on v2 specs! etc.

Today what would "I" buy - Onkyo 886 or the newer 5507 - Why? Still as a stop gap, Once the SP3 is out I think I would then consider which high price tag unit might replace the Onkyo - PS, I hated onkyo !!! prior to owning the  886 - the all in one pro/amp units are not reliable,   mass produced rubbish in my opinion, sold by the high street box shifters here in the UK........

1oldguy

« Reply #392 on: 6 Jan 2010, 06:40 pm »

Brendan - Do you really already have a Rotel?

Hi Andy

No I don't have the Rotel.

1oldguy

« Reply #393 on: 17 Apr 2010, 12:37 am »
Just came upon an interesting thread reguarding the B@W speakers.It would appear others have the same impressions I have.Who would have thunk it.
Here's the link.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=36450

95Dyna

« Reply #394 on: 18 Apr 2010, 02:56 am »
Just came upon an interesting thread reguarding the B@W speakers.It would appear others have the same impressions I have.Who would have thunk it.
Here's the link.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=36450

I couldn't help but notice the following observation from a poster who claimed to be a B & W dealer:

"The 802D is harder to find a good amp for because they love power too but they also need a powerful amp that is fast in the bass but tube like in the highs. This limits you to Clayton, Symphonic Line, maybe Classe, older Coda, older NRG, older Essence, or Gryphon."

What he describes here is exactly what the Bryston squared series amps are  being increasingly noted for in the audio press.  This is especially true of the 7, 14 and 28B's yet he doesn't mention Bryston and there have been numerous discussions where users have claimed that Bryston and the B & W 802D is not a good match.

I auditioned the 802's with Mac 501's and Classe 401's two separate times at two different dealers.  I found them to be noticeably better served by the Classes and although they were pleasant sounding with both I was totally unimpressed by the soundstage and the bass presentation.  My point of reference at the time was my Infinity 9 Kappas being driven by a pair of pedestrian 20 year old Adcom GFA 555's.

This whole audio thing is a complete crapshoot unless you have a local dealer that will let you take everything home to audition.  I'd be willing to bet less than 10% of us have that opportunity.
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2010, 11:56 am by 95Dyna »

Napalm

« Reply #395 on: 18 Apr 2010, 03:34 am »
[...]My over all impression of the 802D, regardless if a  CD is recorded well or not, appears to me  if certain frequencies excite the speaker then your in luck,it will come through,if not it just sits there. [...]

Sounds like a comb filter description.

The first suspect would be the room / proximity to walls. A speaker with wide radiation pattern near drywall will do this, mostly noticeable to your treble.

If this is not the case then they're just better avoided.

Nap.  :thumb: