Butcher Block under all the equipment.. exotic wood pen blanks!

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: Butcher Block under all the equipment.. Roller blocks
« Reply #20 on: 24 Jul 2019, 12:27 am »
If the slabs are large enough simply drill holes in corners and use Stainless steel all thread, washers and bolts.

This is a very common method used to make audio stands.   And the height adjustment is limitless.

You might need a thicker slab.  Also some live edge woods last longer.

Update:  diy w pictures https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-official-flexy-rack-thread.584829/

Alan

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #21 on: 24 Jul 2019, 12:37 am »
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2019, 07:49 pm by Elizabeth »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #22 on: 24 Jul 2019, 01:49 am »
If the slabs are large enough simply drill holes in corners and use Stainless steel all thread, washers and bolts.

This is a very common method used to make audio stands.   And the height adjustment is limitless.

You might need a thicker slab.  Also some live edge woods last longer.

Update:  diy w pictures https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-official-flexy-rack-thread.584829/

Alan

Howdy, Alan!

Thanks for the link. Knowing Melody's WAF issues, I may need to mask the stainless steel all threads with wood. Her eagle eyes might/would latch onto them and she would complain until I go crazy.  :duh: :banghead:

The threaded screws are a lot easier and cheaper than what I had in mind. I'll do some more research.

Michael

Elizabeth

« Reply #23 on: 28 Aug 2019, 07:52 pm »
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2019, 07:50 pm by Elizabeth »

ZENTISH

Hi Elizabeth, If you go to ebay and type in "maple bowl blanks" they have a lot of sizes to choose from. I'm going to try some out under my amps.

Good Luck, TISH

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  Have been using Ebony Pen blanks for years now under transformers. If you recall Promithius who made Passive trannie based preamps experimented with Ebony and other exotic woods. I learned from Nicholas to use similar but dissimilar materials. So hard wood to soft wood and visa versa.
 The most affective plinth was Maple, however only in a sand bed. We found Maple plinth and Brass footers bright. Great for ones TT. Do not use glass, granite [ unless damped ]as shelves. Can you say hard, bright and reflective ? It ALL makes a difference have fun trying.

charles

Early B.

Just ordered some two-toned cocobolo pen blanks to set underneath my preamp which sits directly on glass. I typically use Herbies to good effect, but gonna try something different.
« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2019, 09:15 pm by Early B. »

Early B.

Received my pen 6 blanks, glued two pair of three together, cut 'em in half, and placed the resulting four blocks underneath the feet of my preamp. Immediate improvement. Quieted the hint of brightness. A great $13 investment!

Elizabeth

=
« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2019, 07:50 pm by Elizabeth »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Dave Elledge of Pi Audio Group has tried various species of wood for his products and liked mesquite best... and I've got a pasture full of it.  If someone wants some branches cut to length, send me a PM.  Probably $5-$15 depending on shipping. 
« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2019, 08:21 pm by S Clark »

WGH

Dave Elledge of Pi Audio Group has tried various species of wood for his products and liked mesquite best...

I have 30 tons of mesquite but right now it's all in a 20' shipping container along with my woodshop. I sold my building and am taking a year vacation before building a new studio. Then I can build you guys some beautiful audio racks and equipment tables that will make your equipment sound like a million bucks.

My mesquite speakers are still my favorite, the front baffle is 1-3/4" thick solid mesquite
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=100672.0

I have 10' and 12' mesquite planks that make outrageously beautiful side tables for your electronics.
But right now everything is buried so everyone has to wait while I play.

The table below is 10' long x 22" wide x 33" high. Each table is unique and one of a kind so the price varies, this table was $7150.

S Clark

Pretty table, but kinda pricey for a country boy. 
Every thing you've ever posted pictures of has been stunningly gorgeous.

WGH

Pretty table, but kinda pricey for a country boy. 

Kinda pricey for everyone except the 1%. The Mark Levinson No 585.5 Integrated Amplifier ($16,000) would not look out of place on a mesquite slab table.

S Clark

Well, it's a beautiful table.  How did you join the legs?

WGH

The legs are attached to the top with custom made welded steel "T" brackets to ensure they won't collapse when the 265 lb table is moved. The bottom of the bracket is glued inside a deep channel routed in each leg using West Epoxy.

The top of the "T" fits into a recess routed into the bottom of the table top, making sure everything is perfectly flush. The #12 screws into the top are counter sunk so no attachments are seen.
The legs also have hidden adjustable furniture glides keeping the legs about 1/8" off the floor and the table from rocking on uneven floors.

The top started out as a 240 lb mesquite slab that I air dried for 10 years, 11' long x 24" wide x 3-1/2" thick. The initial flattening is done by hand with a power plane because the board is too big and heavy to push through a joiner and my joiner is only 16" wide. I work by myself, the trick is not to get crushed.

I still have this boards twin if anyone is interested.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  Beautiful job.

charles

Elizabeth

« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2019, 07:51 pm by Elizabeth »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  Elizabeth you certainly know your woods. Very informative thank you.

charles

randytsuch

My local Rockler carried pen blanks, and probably knife scales too.
Or you can order online
https://www.rockler.com/wood/knife-scales
https://www.rockler.com/power-tools/wood-turning/pen-blanks/natural-wood-pen-blanks

Woodcraft also is online and has B&M stores
https://www.woodcraft.com/categories/turning-wood

S Clark

I'm uncertain that wood that makes musical instruments has anything to do with the topic at hand.  And butcher block cuts certainly aren't used for instruments. 
Use what you want, or nothing at all. 
If someone wants to try mesquite, I'm cutting some up today for one of our members.