Vapor Audio at RMAF

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Building Audio Bling since 2007
    • Vapor Audio
Vapor Audio at RMAF
« on: 13 Oct 2011, 01:53 pm »
There were quite a few people who have said they were looking forward to my room at RMAF this year.  But due to a few complications, I didn't get a room.  I will however be there with 3 different speakers designs (Cirrus, Aurora, and Breeze), and can do evening demos for anybody interested.  Cirrus and Breeze info are on my website - www.vaporsound.com - but the Aurora is a new design consisting of a dome tweet in a big custom waveguide and a 8" woofer.

If you'd like to meet up for a listen, just shoot me a PM here with your cell phone number and I'll give you a call to set it up.  BTW, plenty of free wine and beer included with any demo as well  :D

cloudbaseracer

Re: Vapor Audio at RMAF
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2011, 02:53 pm »
What is the website for Aurora?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2011, 03:32 pm »
What is the website for Aurora?

It's not on the website yet, the pair I'll have with me is the first one ... and about 6 sets of cabinets right behind it.  But RMAF was meant to be it's coming out party.  Here's a picture of one that Ken took at the last get-together I hosted

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2011, 07:21 am »
We played tunes through the Cirrus tonight for a couple hours in the BPT/YG Acoustics room tonight, the Iris Conference Room ... and will probably do so again tomorrow.  Drop by there tomorrow and talk to Chris Hoff if you'd like to hear what they can do. 

I don't want to put words in anybody's mouth, but I think it was unanimous that you'd be better served buying a Cirrus vs. the YG Kipod II, and pocket the difference.  Or buy 10 pair of Cirrus for less money, and outfit every room in your house with a pair  :lol:

HT cOz

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2011, 02:22 pm »
It's not on the website yet, the pair I'll have with me is the first one ... and about 6 sets of cabinets right behind it.  But RMAF was meant to be it's coming out party.  Here's a picture of one that Ken took at the last get-together I hosted

Wow this is one amazing looking speaker!  Do you have any more info on it?

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2011, 03:29 pm »
Thanks, we're trying to do things differently!  There's more info up on the website, still have to add the full text for the design.  Cabinet design is 8 1/8" thick ply layers clamped around forms and epoxied, cures rock hard.  The shape was a clever way to make 1.3 cu/ft look much smaller, and of coruse has performance benefits as well.  The waveguide profile is what we came up with after rapid prototyping 8 different profiles and testing them all, this one was the winner. 

So we end up with a ~1000hz crossover point between the waveguide'd dome tweet and the 8" woofer.  Since the cabinet is deceptively large, we can tune the woofer to the high 20hz range and have a stand-mount with some real drive to the bass ... which is a very rare thing. 

Here's a much better pic

roscoeiii

« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2011, 03:39 pm »
Heard one of the Auroras at. Chicago DIY speaker event. Wow. Great impact and bass for sure. Wonderful sound overall. So engaging. My only concern was whether my listening room might be too small for it (in terms of the size and impact of the sound, not the physical speakers).

But as I texted a friend, I wasz in speaker love.

Vapor Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Vapor Audio
« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2011, 03:47 pm »
Heard one of the Auroras at. Chicago DIY speaker event. Wow. Great impact and bass for sure. Wonderful sound overall. So engaging. My only concern was whether my listening room might be too small for it (in terms of the size and impact of the sound, not the physical speakers).

But as I texted a friend, I wasz in speaker love.

Ahh, cool.  You heard the Black/White pair that Ed brought down.  I've been listening to them in a 13'x18' room and would say they're perfect in there, they don't really get boomy because we gave the woof plenty of volume and tuned it real low. 

I'd say they're probably better in smaller rooms than most speakers due to their even and controlled dispersion pattern. 

Glad you enjoyed them, thanks for posting your thoughts. 

roscoeiii

« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2011, 03:54 pm »
Oh yeah, it was a fabulous sounding speaker. If I ever get down to St. Louis I will certainly pester you to hear the Cirrus as well. Great stuff. Look forward to seeing the specs.