Speakers for Lio??

gnostalgick

Re: Speakers for Lio??
« Reply #20 on: 2 Dec 2017, 12:13 pm »
ProAc?
Harbeth with LIO is the best I've heard Harbeth (and I really like Harbeth); but to me ProAcs are just more exciting and involving.

Shredder

« Reply #21 on: 3 Dec 2017, 02:06 pm »
So, in rereading some of the answers, I realized some of you have a Lio pre with different power amps. I am specifically wondering about match between Lio integrated and versus speakers. Thanks.

Chris Adams

« Reply #22 on: 3 Dec 2017, 07:28 pm »
I can't say how the X1s sound with the LIO integrated because I had the basic ( two channel) amp not the (four channel) amp to bi-amp the X1s. However, I did hear my Pure Audio Project Trio15 Voxativs with the basic amp that comes with the LIO and also with the VR120s used as monoblocks. I asked Vinnie before I bought the VR120s if they had the same purity of sound that the basic amp had. He assured me they did and I concur. The PAP Trios played almost loud enough for me with the basic amp (25 watts) and my room is heavily sound treated. They sounded almost identical with the VR120s, just louder. The Trios are the same sensitivity as the X1s but had a passive crossover sucking up some power. I can imagine the four channel amp with the electronic crossover built into the LIO would be enough for most people. I hope that helps. Ask questions if confusing. :o

Shredder

« Reply #23 on: 3 Dec 2017, 10:13 pm »
I think i understand. The 4 channel amp is the X1 module for bi-amping (something I have never done before). VR makes a special module for that speaker, stands to reason it has enough power. Is the line stage module necessary as well to mate  Lio with the X!? I understand what the four channel amp is for, but do not understand the function of the X1 line stage module.

BTW< have you head and compared the x1 and x2?

Thanks for the help.

Chris Adams

« Reply #24 on: 3 Dec 2017, 10:30 pm »

I have not heard the X2.

The X1 line stage is the electronic crossover for the X1s. It provides separate line outs for R/L treble and R/L bass. Here's a pic. Ignore the switch in the middle, I had Vinnie put in a stereo reverse switch for me.

Shredder

« Reply #25 on: 3 Dec 2017, 11:05 pm »
Got it, so both modules are required. I do like that the Lio has special modules for this speaker. I have definitely had synergy issues before, no risk with this set up. Thanks for the info.

I assume this sounds pretty amazing?

Chris Adams

« Reply #26 on: 3 Dec 2017, 11:26 pm »

I assume this sounds pretty amazing?

:banana piano: :beer: :dance:

Vinnie R.

« Reply #27 on: 4 Dec 2017, 12:21 am »
Hi Shredder,

As the responses show from those who own or heard LIO, there are *many* speaker options to choose from!  :wink:

At the risk of stating the obvious here, I think it is important to first understand that more than any other component, your speakers (along with the room that they are placed in, as well as the positioning of your speakers and listening chair within your room) have the most influence over what you will hear.  I believe you can begin determining the speakers that will give you the best results for your money by first trying to eliminate those that probably will not work out so well.

For example:

- If you cannot pull the speakers out at least 3 feet (ideally more) from the wall behind them, then you probably won't get the best out
of a dipole design like an open baffle speaker.  Sure, they will still "work" closer than 3 feet, but not optimally. 
- If you are in a small room, you probably want eliminate a large floorstanding model because it will most likely will overpower the room with low frequency energy.
- If you are limited to placing speakers in or close to a corner, some are designed for this (Audio Note comes to mind).
- If you like to play at loud volumes (and would be using LIO's internal MOSFET AMP module), you want a speaker with a higher sensitivity specification (Volti comes to mind, as do Spatials if you have the room for them).
- Are there "spouse acceptance factors" to consider?  I do hear about this quite often, so it is worth bringing up.  :argue:

The list of variables goes on and on...

Once you know what kind of space you have to work with, then you can start looking into the type of sound that you want.  From your post, it looks like you have been to an audio show at least once, correct?  So you probably got to listen to a number of rooms that sounded good to you, some that did not, and hopefully some that you were highly impressed with?  From the ones that you were most impressed with, did you get to listen to the types of music that you like to listen to at home, and at the playback volumes that you like to listen at? 

Some factory-direct speaker companies (Spatial, Zu, Tekton come to mind) have a return policy in case you are not satisfied with the results.  If you are buying from a dealer, some will let you take their floor-model home to try for a few days.  There is no better place to evaluate how a speaker will sound than your own listening room. 

Feel free to email or call me if you have questions about specific speakers that I have used at shows, or just questions in general
about what I have mentioned above.

Thanks to everyone who has posted so far in trying to give Shredder some suggestions!

Vinnie

Shredder

« Reply #28 on: 4 Dec 2017, 01:53 pm »
Thanks Vinnie, i will pm you.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #29 on: 4 Dec 2017, 04:23 pm »
Thanks Vinnie, i will pm you.

Please EMAIL me directly instead of PM...

Thanks

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #30 on: 4 Dec 2017, 05:42 pm »
The RETHM is a very special speaker as well as the other aforementioned speakers.  I would love to hear them with a LIO.

Well then buy an LIO and come over to hear with RETHM Saadhana  I'm in NY.

charles

targa02

« Reply #31 on: 4 Dec 2017, 08:25 pm »

Well then buy an LIO and come over to hear with RETHM Saadhana  I'm in NY.

charles
Thanks for the offer Charles!  I have a LIO (Love It!), and it is relatively light weight, but I am in CA, so getting to you is quite a commitment.

Bloodsplint

« Reply #32 on: 5 Dec 2017, 03:39 am »
Daedalus with a LIO here, too.

Edit: I heard Devore with LIO. I’ll shoot you PM later on...

Hey jriggy, would you mind sharing these thoughts? I am also curious about Devore (specifically O/96) with the Lio. I've had the opportunity to hear the Devores but never with the Lio.

Cheers

yardbird4

« Reply #33 on: 5 Dec 2017, 03:42 pm »
The LIO seems to offer maximum flexibility for selection of speakers.  I initially had LIO hooked up to my Spendor FL-9's (89 db sensitivity) with great results.  The I found a pair of Decware HR-1' 

yardbird4

« Reply #34 on: 5 Dec 2017, 03:48 pm »
Sorry my previous message posted before I finished:

he LIO seems to offer maximum flexibility for selection of speakers.  I initially had LIO hooked up to my Spendor FL-9's (89 db sensitivity) with great results.  The I found a pair of Decware HR-1' s on sale on Audiogon that I had been interested in for years but no at the retail price.  The omni directional HR-I's (92 db sensitivity mate extremely well with the LIO and made me give up my 35 year marriage to Spendor speakers.
Modify message

tme110

« Reply #35 on: 6 Dec 2017, 11:16 pm »
I think i understand. The 4 channel amp is the X1 module for bi-amping (something I have never done before). VR makes a special module for that speaker, stands to reason it has enough power. Is the line stage module necessary as well to mate  Lio with the X!? I understand what the four channel amp is for, but do not understand the function of the X1 line stage module.

BTW< have you head and compared the x1 and x2?

Thanks for the help.

Im not sure this was answered or maybe I misread your original question.

No, you dont need both modules, just one.  The X1 amp includes the amp and is everything you need to use the X1 speakers.  The X1 line stage is a line-level output in case you think you have a better power amp.  So one makes the LIO a 4-channel preamp, and the other makes it a 4-channel integrated.  It's a neat capability to have an amp that is custom made for a speaker.

jpm

« Reply #36 on: 23 Aug 2019, 03:59 pm »
Like more than a few I suspect (odds are high) I originally used my LIO with a pair of LS50's in a small room. Sounded great, given space and arrangement restrictions. After a move, I added a VR120 and PMC Fact 3's in my new larger room - woohoo!!!

Now, I wouldn't have resuscitated an old thread just for this. Something really special happened recently ... really special. I'm enjoying a sound that I'd come to believe required advanced certifications in trigonometry, a hefty does of good fortune, the patience of a saint and lots of money. No really, LOTS of money.

Re-jiggering my HT setup saw me pull out a pair of speakers, so I thought I'd give them a try with my VR setup. The speakers are Usher CP6381's that I bought years ago to better handle a huge open plan family room area. Nothing ever made that room sound good. Ever. I gave up on it because meaningful improvements were beyond the possibility of familial compromise. The Usher's stood there in defiant pose against the forces of glass, tile and constant TV (boooo!) of little use but to irritate my wife with their size and presence, reminding us both of the stalemate.

Enough family feud history, what about the sound? F*#^ing incredible. I'd read all the rave reviews on these 6381's back when I bought them (used). In the end I guess I decided it was just HiFi hyperbole again. Not now. Soundstage, OMG the soundstage ... I've only ever heard soundstage like this once before in a showroom on a Leben / ProAc combination with very extensive room treatment. Sure, I've heard objectively better systems, but only at budgets equivalent to the cost of a family home. Yes, I have a few system changes / upgrades I want to make (inevitable, right!) but that doesn't take away anything from the core pole vault in sound quality.

Why share now? Well this is a recent discovery of mine, but Usher CP series speakers seem to hang around on the used market for ages at relatively cheap asking prices (unlike the BE-718's with Danny Ritchie designed crossover that were so popular). Maybe someone will be in the right place at the right time to score a bonkers upgrade for themselves?

gene9p

« Reply #37 on: 23 Aug 2019, 09:58 pm »
I am using a re-foamed pair of Snell KIII's from the mid 90's.  Sweet..however I am going to audition a pair of Dynaudio Special 40's next week. I wanted to try the Spatails but I cannot place them at least 3 feet out.

coming next week:

gene9p

« Reply #38 on: 26 Aug 2019, 11:34 pm »
nope... :nono:  tried 3 sets of tubes..not a good match at all for the LIO! I 'm not even going to try them another day..back they go.

matthewpartrick

• vinnierossiforum.com
    • The Clueless Audiophile
« Reply #39 on: 1 Sep 2019, 02:36 pm »
Mark one satisfied customer with the Volti Rivals.  Crazy sensitive and minimally dependent on room placement. They replaced Joseph Perspectives.