New DHT Line Stage

beowulf

New DHT Line Stage
« on: 28 Apr 2016, 12:50 am »
Hi Vinnie, I may have missed this somewhere, but I didn't find the exact answer and was just wondering ...

The new DHT line stage acts in the "preamp" section correct and if so, does that mean I can still use my own amplification of choice?  For example, I have a pair Omega Loudspeakers and a Decware amp that I like using with them quite a bit, but I really want a full function preamp with a remote, would this work in combination with the DHT fitted LIO?

Thanks!

Vinnie R.

Re: New DHT Line Stage
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2016, 01:23 am »
Hi Vinnie, I may have missed this somewhere, but I didn't find the exact answer and was just wondering ...

The new DHT line stage acts in the "preamp" section correct and if so, does that mean I can still use my own amplification of choice?  For example, I have a pair Omega Loudspeakers and a Decware amp that I like using with them quite a bit, but I really want a full function preamp with a remote, would this work in combination with the DHT fitted LIO?

Thanks!

Hi beowulf,

The upcoming LIO DHT PRE is in the linestage and will be offered as such (and more! see below), so you certainly can use your own amplification.  I'm still working on all the details (in a week or two, I hope to have a webpage added for it, along with pricing/ pre-order information.  I'm getting there - been so busy catching up after AXPONA!)

The way you can configure a LIO with the upcoming DHT PRE stage will be as follows (really just like with any LIO!):

SOURCES

- LIO DSD/PCM dac with DHT output stage and external power supply (with our without volume control)
- LIO Phonostage with DHT output stage and external power supply (with or without volume control)
- Can easily be both in one unit (with or without volume control)
- LIO Remote Handset

These will be for those who want to only order it as a source component to feed their system (preamp / integrated)

PREAMPLIFIER

- LIO INPUTS (3 sets of line-level inputs)
- LIO "NUDE RVC" (custom version of RVC with all Vishay Nude Z-Foil resistors, point-to-point wired onto the signal relays)
- LIO DHT PRE stage and external power supply
- LIO OUTPUTS (2 sets of variable pre-amp outputs, 1 fixed level)
- LIO Remote Handset

- Could also contain LIO DSD/PCM DAC, PHONOSTAGE, and even HPA output stage modules

DHT INTEGRATED

- LIO INPUTS (3 sets of inputs)
- LIO "NUDE RVC" (custom version of RVC with all Vishay Nude Z-Foil resistors, point-to-point wired onto the signal relays)
- LIO DHT PRE stage and external power supply
- LIO MOSFET AMP
- LIO OUTPUTS (2 sets of variable pre-amp outputs, 1 fixed level), as LIO INTEGRATED can also be used as a preamp (turn off
speaker output stage via front panel switch)
- LIO Remote Handset

- Could also contain LIO DSD/PCM DAC, PHONOSTAGE, and even HPA output stage

NOTE:  At AXPONA2016, we had a LIO DHT INTEGRATED with DAC and PHONOSTAGE installed:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=142422.0

FOR CURRENT LIO OWNERS

- No matter your currenrt LIO configuration, the LIO DHT PRE can be added. 
- Pricing and trade-in pricing to follow in the next week or two

WHEN???

Realistically, this all won't be ready for shipping until the end of May / early June (based on where you are on the pre-order queue once we set that set up).

Top-panel and tube cover design has been finalized and I won't be seeing them in until late May.  :banghead:
Many other parts are here already and waiting to be assembled.

Tube covers: (black or silver) metal cylinder for each tube that the user can easily install over tubes only if desired.  Comes
standard with any LIO DHT configuration above.  It's a nice touch if you are worried about pets / children touching the glass tubes,
AND if you are using tubes that are sensitive to picking up hum in this configuration (e.g. 101D / 205D, others with high plate resistance)

More soon!

Vinnie

beowulf

« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2016, 05:04 am »
Wow, looks like just about anything can be done.  Thanks for the awesome information in detail.

BobRex

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2016, 01:51 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

You've been playing with a number of DHTs, so have you been able to identify the characteristics of each?  I'm curious about the differences between the 45/2A3s, 300Bs, and the 811s.

nnck

• Music Collector, Audiophile, in that order :)
« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2016, 02:50 pm »
Still a bit confused if/where the option of AVC + Tube Stage (or the AVC volume control alone for that matter) fits in with the DHT Line Stage?
Perhaps these are both considered an either/or option vs the DHT Line Stage? 
Can you verify what volume control(s) can be used with the DHT Line Stage?
Is the DHT Line Stage being used in conjunction with the phono stage?

Vinnie R.

« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2016, 04:46 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

You've been playing with a number of DHTs, so have you been able to identify the characteristics of each?  I'm curious about the differences between the 45/2A3s, 300Bs, and the 811s.

Hi BobRex,

Absolutely - especially in this application where the DHTs are used in a circuit w/o the challenging load of driving an OPT / speakers (in the linestage instead of the speaker output stage), the characteristics of each tube really comes through!

In time, I'll be working on posting my findings. 

Still a bit confused if/where the option of AVC + Tube Stage (or the AVC volume control alone for that matter) fits in with the DHT Line Stage?
Perhaps these are both considered an either/or option vs the DHT Line Stage?
Can you verify what volume control(s) can be used with the DHT Line Stage?

Hi nnck,

The LIO AVC/Tubestage is NOT used at all with the LIO DHT PRE.
The new LIO DHT stage takes the physical location of BOTH the AVC module and HPA module (but the HPA module
can be moved onto the LIO DHT module, as we added the provision for this).  The volume control option
for the LIO DHT will be a NUDE RVC (resistor volume control featuring all Vishay Nude Z-Foil resistors, each point-to-point
wired directly to the relays that control the switching of each volume step).  These are $10 - $15 per resistor, and by
far the most open and extended sounding I've tried.  Definitely worth it for getting out of the way and letting the DHTs do their
thing.  :wink:

Is the DHT Line Stage being used in conjunction with the phono stage?

It could be.  Refer to my post above.  You can use the LIO DHT just as the output stage of the dac or phonostage.  You can
use it with the NUDE RVC volume control (making it a linestage), and you can have the linestage with the dac and/or phonostage
(and even headphone output module).  Everything passes through the DHT stage - it is at the heart of everything.
And you can add the LIO MOSFET AMP (making it an integrated, as we showed at AXPONA). 

Need more power?  Configure LIO DHT as a linestage (with/without dac / phonostage) and add a VR120 or power amp of
your choice.

Once we get our website cleaned up and everything posted, I'm hoping it will all be much more clear. 

Vinnie

krisstack

« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2016, 05:16 pm »
What is the height of the LIO DHT with tubes installed?  I understand that it could change a bit depending on which tube is installed, but an average measurement should suffice.  I want to make sure I have clearance on an eight in shelf.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2016, 06:06 pm »
What is the height of the LIO DHT with tubes installed?  I understand that it could change a bit depending on which tube is installed, but an average measurement should suffice.  I want to make sure I have clearance on an eight in shelf.

Hi Krisstack,

Including the feet and the tubes, you're looking at around 9" to 10".  Give yourself another inch or two for ventilation, so say approx. 12".

Regarding heat, since we are not using the the DHT to drive speakers, they do not get nearly has hot as with SET amps.  The hottest ones I've used so far are the SV811 and SV572's (they have a 4A filament, so that's approx. 20 watts of heat per tube).  The others are less than 10 watts of heat per tube, and are warm to the touch ( but not hot enough to cause burns if you hold them).

I'm getting the website finished today / tomorrow - and then we'll be ready to open it up to pre-ordering!   :hyper:

And a new website re-design is coming early June, and will make navigating and learning about LIO much easier for newcomers (I hope!).
New photography will be added then as well.  :eyebrows:

Vinnie

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2016, 06:14 pm »
And a new website re-design is coming early June, and will make navigating and learning about LIO much easier for newcomers (I hope!).
New photography will be added then as well.  :eyebrows:

Vinnie
Funny as I think your site is as intuitive as it could be.  Now I'm curious to see what you come up with.  :thumb:

JP78

« Reply #9 on: 2 May 2016, 08:10 pm »
What's the price of the AVC+tubestage versus the DHT+resistor?

May I ask what the differences are sonically and in what situations one may be preferred over the other?

Thanks!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #10 on: 2 May 2016, 09:39 pm »
What's the price of the AVC+tubestage versus the DHT+resistor?
Thanks!

All,

This page (I just posted it today) should help:

http://vinnierossi.com/dht_pre/

It still needs some fine touches, but is a good start for introducing LIO DHT PRE.

*** There will be special pre-order price of $4995 (+ shipping) until June 1st, 2016.  After June 1st, the price
is $5995 + shipping ***

NOTE:  This price is just for the LIO DHT PRE stage (does not include the price of the LIO base unit
or other modules).

For current LIO customers - I did not forgot about you and there are trade-in options as you will see!

LIO DHT PRE includes the following:

- LIO DHT PRE stage (the module)
- LIO DHT Power Supply (external unit)
- "NUDE RVC" module (new RVC volume control module sold exclusively for LIO DHT PRE)
- LIO DHT PRE top cover (you choose black or silver)
- LIO DHT OUTPUTS (This is the LIO OUTPUTS module, but with add power input jack for the external LIO DHT Power Supply, which
then internally connects to the LIO DHT PRE module's power jack via a barrel plug with locking mechanism).
- 1 pair of new, matched EH2A3 "gold grid" tubes (these are the chosen 'stock' tubes to come with LIO DHT PRE)
- 1 pair of aluminum tube covers (you choose black or silver.  Easy to install / remove - for those who what to keep the glass tubes
away from pets and small children, or hum shielding with "hum sensitive" tubes such as the 101D 205D). 

May I ask what the differences are sonically and in what situations one may be preferred over the other?

- LIO RVC + Tubestage will be preferred for its lower price point (if you are building within a certain budget). 

- As many LIO customers know (via upgrading) LIO AVC/Tubestage expands on the RVC + Tubestage with a improved texture, micro-detail, openness, and ultimately delivers a more neutral performance (which can easily be flavored into warmer or more lively/ detailed territory via tube rolling).

- LIO DHT PRE is the ultimate tube rolling experience ("convertible design allowing for rolling in different DHT tube families) and for those who crave the DHT sound.  See section on webpage ("I put a spell on you..." 8)) that describes that DHT sound.

I still need to test out the shopping cart this evening, but it looks like it should be good to go for pre-ordering.  I'll confirm in the next 4 hours or so.  I've been very busy!

Thank you,

Vinnie
« Last Edit: 2 May 2016, 11:32 pm by Vinnie R. »

JP78

« Reply #11 on: 2 May 2016, 10:06 pm »
Thanks for the detailed update Vinnie.  Do you have photos and details of the power supply? Does this mean then the LIO will require two plugs?

Also, does the power supply also feature the ultracapacitors?

Best,

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: 2 May 2016, 10:44 pm »
("I put a spell on you..." 8) )

Thank you,

Vinnie
Since I like playing DJ, track 5 of this album is by far my favorite version of that song.  Jeff Beck on guitar and Joss Stone singing. 
 :kiss:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #13 on: 3 May 2016, 12:23 am »
Since I like playing DJ, track 5 of this album is by far my favorite version of that song.  Jeff Beck on guitar and Joss Stone singing. 
 :kiss:

Nice selection.   :thumb:

George

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 3 May 2016, 12:43 am »
The Annie Lennox version (T3) is quite good too but I prefer the Joss Stone above.

OK, I'm done now.  Back to the Vinnie Rossi DHT Line Stage!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #15 on: 3 May 2016, 12:44 am »
Nice selection.   :thumb:

George

Very nice track!  A different taste of what I am used to (Nina Simone), and love Beck's guitar work mixed with Stone's vocal -
they go like bread and butter!

Thanks for the detailed update Vinnie.  Do you have photos and details of the power supply? Does this mean then the LIO will require two plugs?

Also, does the power supply also feature the ultracapacitors?

Hi JP78,

I need to get photos of the DHT power supply (I have nothing yet).

Here is what I can tell you about LIO DHT Power Supply in the meantime:

Dimensions: Approx. 6.5″ wide x 9.0″ deep x 3.75″ tall
Weight: Approx. 10 lbs.
Color: Black (no options for silver)
Type: Linear regulated and on-the-grid (no ultracaps, this is just for the filaments and also replaces LIO's stock power adapter)
Outputs: (1) for LIO DHT Filaments, (1) for LIO's 24V power input.
- Lenght of output cables:  Approx. 5 feet
- ON/OFF rocker switch on front panel (illuminated red when ON), should be left ON all the time, as
the DHT's turn ON/OFF when you turn ON/OFF LIO via the front panel (or remote handset).
- IEC power input jack on rear panel
- Heatsink on rear panel (allow some space air to flow - it gets quite warm/hot with the SV572/SV811's 4A filaments, but only
moderately warm with most others.  The heat is normal!)

NOTE:  The LIO DHT PRE will come with a new "LIO DHT OUTPUTS" module (with added PWR input jack for the DHT filaments) - no extra
cost for this, but we ask that you please send back your stock LIO OUTPUTS module at your convenience.

Thank you,

Vinnie

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 3 May 2016, 12:48 am »
Very nice track!  A different taste of what I am used to (Nina Simone), and love Beck's guitar work mixed with Stone's vocal -
they go like bread and butter!
Glad you approve. 

Type: Linear regulated and on-the-grid (no ultracaps, this is just for the filaments and also replaces LIO's stock power adapter)
Thank you,

Vinnie

Brilliant!  One box solution to re-charge the ultracaps and power the filaments.   :thumb:
:idea:   Do you sell this LPS separately?  Some people might want it as some claim any SMPS will inject hash back into their system.  While it doesn't matter if they use a fully decked out LIO and/or VR120 but some may use other amps or even source.  Just a thought!
« Last Edit: 3 May 2016, 08:15 pm by jtwrace »

Vinnie R.

« Reply #17 on: 3 May 2016, 03:51 am »
Brilliant!  One box solution to re-charge the ultracaps and power the filaments.   :thumb:

That's exactly right!  Thanks

Vinnie

SteveKi

« Reply #18 on: 3 May 2016, 06:30 pm »
Vinnie,
Do you have any pictures to show of the DHT module itself?
Steve

Vinnie R.

« Reply #19 on: 3 May 2016, 06:55 pm »
Vinnie,
Do you have any pictures to show of the DHT module itself?
Steve

Hi Steve,

Not yet - in a few weeks we're having a professional photoshoot done, and there will be much better pics added
to our website (including inside shots), and a cleaner layout and message.  Stay tuned!

Also - check out what Srajan Ebaen of 6moons has been working on (so far 3 pages already!):

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/vinnierossi2/1.html
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/vinnierossi2/2.html
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/vinnierossi2/3.html

I'll be sending him DHT PRE for his LIO next month to review - and as usual, he'll be posting good pics!

Vinnie