Is my room OK for OB speakers?

greg7

Is my room OK for OB speakers?
« on: 31 Dec 2018, 11:01 pm »
I'm seriously considering a pair of Caintuck Betsy's. However, they'll have to be 3' or less from the front wall and one speaker will have to be about 2' from a sidewall. Will this be OK or a seriously compromise the situation with OB speakers?

Folsom

Re: Is my room OK for OB speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2019, 02:11 am »
I wouldn't

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2019, 03:05 am »
Just wondering if you asked the manufacturer - what do they say?

kingdeezie

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2019, 06:06 pm »
Just wondering if you asked the manufacturer - what do they say?

+1 I recently switched to electrostatic speakers, and the manufacturer was very upfront about how they needed to be positioned in the room to work correctly. Because of how they propagate sound, sidewall interaction is minimized.

With anything open baffle you do want to be 3 feet or greater from the back wall, but you can always use diffusion and absorption to help break up the back wave.

I would ask the designer of the speaker their opinion.

Folsom

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2019, 07:17 pm »
3 foot is minimum... The more the better. If I went OB again I'd want a huge room.

TEA FOR ONE

« Reply #5 on: 2 Jan 2019, 02:34 am »
I recently purchased a used pair of the Caintucks you are considering.  My listening room is small,13'x9'. It is a dedicated listening room,therefore no restrictions by the mrs.  I have them about 40" from the front wall, and the center of the driver about 2'ft from the side wall. This seems to work quite well to my ears. The music just floats! The soundstage is incredible, about 5ft taller than the speakers. Like you,I was a little apprehensive about the purchase,but again,they work very well in my room.
     Good luck!
         Ray

TEA FOR ONE

« Reply #6 on: 2 Jan 2019, 02:37 am »
Here's a shot of the Caintucks in action.