AVA Super Pas 3 revisited

avahifi

• Facilitator
    • http://www.avahifi.com
AVA Super Pas 3 revisited
« on: 3 Feb 2023, 03:07 pm »
So, we got in an old AVA Super Pas Three vacuum tube preamp recently that needed a replacement power transformer.  Other then that, this customer built unit was running fine after about 30 years of use.

Just for fun when testing it after the repair I connected it to our R2X box so it could drive a pair of our new balanced mono M225 amplifiers.

Pretty amazing sound. Big image, big soundstage, excellent transpareny and resolution, slightly warm overall presentation, and no rough edges at all. Actually better then I would have expected. Obviously this showed that back when the Super Pas 3 was in its prime, there were no power amps around that were good enough to actually showcase its remarkable capability.

Although the Super Pas Three rebuild is long out of production here (way too labor intensive to do) we still have the complete rebuild manual available free of charge if you can source the parts and do your own circuit boards.

If you want the 20 page build manual, just email me at: frank@avahifi.com

Note that we also have the Ultimate 70 vacuum tube power amplifier rebuild plans (free) and the needed mother board ($50) still available too.

Frank