FET Valve 400R paired with high efficiency speakers?

SgtPepper

I currently own a FET Valve 400R and was wondering if these would be overkill driving a high efficiency (Omega Super Alnico High Output Monitor; 97 db; 4-6 ohm) speaker?  I know the 400R wouldn't break a sweat driving these but I'm mainly concerned with whether I'd be able to control the volume, as my FET Valve CF Preamp seems to have gobs of gain, even on the Low Gain setting. I have visions of anything much past 8-9 o'clock on the volume knob being insanely loud.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: FET Valve 400R paired with high efficiency speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2018, 05:55 pm »
SgtPepper,

Important info to know:

What is the output voltage of your source/dac/phonostage?

What is the overall gain of your preamp at low gain and standard gain levels?

What is the gain of your amplifier?

How far do you sit from your speakers?

Unfortunately the specifications of your AVA equipment...I was not able to find online.

Best,
Anand.

SgtPepper

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2018, 06:08 pm »
Actually, everything is AVA gear, from the DAC (FET Valve Hybrid) through amp....everything single ended, of course.  Hopefully somebody here can chime in with the technical details.  I generally sit around 10-12 feet from the speakers and listen at what I would call sane volumes (mostly classic jazz these days).

aln

WHY not?
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2018, 06:17 pm »
It should be fine.  Everyone is really worried about the position of their volume pot, but the sound is the main thing.  Try it and then make a choice.

SgtPepper

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2018, 06:34 pm »
Thanks...that's exactly what I'll do.  Just wanted to make sure there were no "Don't even think about it" replies!

avahifi

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2018, 10:06 pm »
One advantage of using a high power AVA amplifier with high efficiency speakers is that you will always be running in its Class A mode (up to about 20 watts). 

Of course we can always set the preamp line stage gain down another 6dB if the low gain button still is not enough gain reduction.  No charge for this except shipping.

Voltage gain of AVA power amps is about 25, preamps 10, except Ultravalve tube amp is about 15 and Vision solid state preamp is 5.

Let us know when you order and we can usually set gain tailored for your system.

FRANK

SgtPepper

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2018, 10:42 pm »
Thank you, Frank.  That's great to know it will be running in Class A most (if not all) the time with these speakers.  Nice to have the option to take the gain down another 6 db on the preamp if necessary...once I have a chance to test everything I'll let you know.