Who do you like on trumpet?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Who do you like on trumpet?
« Reply #80 on: 23 Feb 2011, 07:15 pm »
Chuck Mangione is often slagged off by hardcore boppers. But he can play. After he got out of school in the early '60s he was a Jazz Messenger. That's right, the same seat held by Clifford Brown, Kenny Durham, Lee Morgan and Bill Hardman.

neo

Feel the same way with Louie Prima. That boy could play when he wasn't haming it up. Harry James, Louis Armstrong and lately Nicholas Payton.

charles

NordicNorm

« Reply #81 on: 23 Feb 2011, 07:36 pm »
Lots of great players mentioned, to be sure.

One cat worth checking out is Troy Andrews from Treme, New Orleans (aka Trombone Shorty).

He plays both trumpet and trombone.

Here's a clip of him dueling it out with Wynton Marsalis at the House of Blues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7mFKj8z6nM

mdfoy

« Reply #82 on: 24 Feb 2011, 06:36 pm »
Arturo Sandoval - He burns like Dizzy

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #83 on: 11 Mar 2011, 04:58 am »
Arturo Sandoval is a great trumpet player.

Mangione is fine.  I'd rather listen to Herb Alpert spit notes out.   I have issues with Mangione's pitch.  He just seems to be all over the place, pitch wise.  Especially on Flugelhorn. I know they say they're hard to play, but I still expect him to play in tune.

HsvHeelfan

Ike

« Reply #84 on: 13 Mar 2011, 09:33 pm »
Ishmael Wadada Leo Smith
Tomasz Stańko
Arve Henriksen
Jon Hassell
Nicholas Payton
Nils Petter Molvaer
Christian Scott
Erik Truffaz
Terence Blanchard
Dave Douglas
Lester Bowie
Don Cherry
Guy Barker

:)

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #85 on: 13 Mar 2011, 10:14 pm »
Trane Whistle by Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis

Love the song "The Stolen Moment", 1st rate trumpet solo by a player named Bob Bryant, have to find more of his work if it measures up to this.

lazydays

« Reply #86 on: 10 May 2011, 07:01 pm »
Plenty of great trumpet players over the years, but who just knocks you out?

Wynton Marsalis said that Louis Armstrong defined the sound of the modern trumpet. That sound was the model until Miles changed it with his harmon mute and cool style. We have albums of both and everything in between.

I must admit, I have a lot of trouble picking just one. So I'll start things off by saying Woody Shaw. He was a great player, a consistently hard swinger and excellent improviser.

What say ye?
neo

Miles said more than once that Louis was the best period!
gary

lazydays

« Reply #87 on: 10 May 2011, 07:03 pm »
Chet Baker. Maybe he wasn't the most innovative or groundbreaking, but man, he knew how to get
feeling out of that thing!

Old man told me once that Chet told Wynton to quit playing and go into teaching! I hate the sound of that mouth piece, and think Chet was dead on
gary

lazydays

« Reply #88 on: 10 May 2011, 07:06 pm »
Add Lee Morgan, Kenny Dorham, Louis Armstrong to this list!

there you go son!!! Enrico Rava is one of the best I've ever heard at anytime. Pharez Whitted is very good as well. And nobody posted Sandavol's name??
gary

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #89 on: 10 May 2011, 10:01 pm »
Old man told me once that Chet told Wynton to quit playing and go into teaching! I hate the sound of that mouth piece, and think Chet was dead on
gary

I don't doubt it. Wynton is probably the player most disliked by other musicians. I think it's deserved. He's got formidable classical chops, but usually sounds like a machine. He collaborated with Ken Burns on that documentary and inflated his own importance while ignoring others considered of greater importance.

Keith Jarrett: "I've never heard anything Wynton played sound like it meant anything at all. Wynton has no voice and no presence. His music sounds like a talented high-school trumpet player to me."

Miles Davis when they first met - "So you're the police, huh?"
Later he said that Wynton was unoriginal and, "Wynton thinks playing music is about blowing people up on stage."

In 1986 Miles was playing a gig in Vancouver and Wynton walked on. This might have been instigated by a Columbia Records employee. They said it was Wynton's birthday or something. Miles stopped the show and threw Wynton off the stage.  Miles said, "Wynton can't play the kind of shit we were playing", and twice told Marsalis "Get the f*-k off."

Pierre Sprey, president of Mapleshade Records summed it up like this: "When Marsalis was nineteen, he was a fine jazz trumpeter...But he was getting his tail beat off every night in Art Blakey's band. I don't think he could keep up. And finally he retreated to safe waters. He's a good classical trumpeter and thus he sees jazz as being a classical music. He has no clue what's going on now."

I think that sums it up nicely.
neo

PS  In defense of Wynton, the man can play. I have a couple of Blakey albums with Wynton and he sounds great. I also like some of his stuff from the '80s. As to the rest, you can make up your own mind.

lazydays

« Reply #90 on: 12 May 2011, 12:45 am »
I don't doubt it. Wynton is probably the player most disliked by other musicians. I think it's deserved. He's got formidable classical chops, but usually sounds like a machine. He collaborated with Ken Burns on that documentary and inflated his own importance while ignoring others considered of greater importance.

Keith Jarrett: "I've never heard anything Wynton played sound like it meant anything at all. Wynton has no voice and no presence. His music sounds like a talented high-school trumpet player to me."

Later he said that Wynton was unoriginal and, "Wynton thinks playing music is about blowing people up on stage."

In 1986 Miles was playing a gig in Vancouver and Wynton walked on. This might have been instigated by a Columbia Records employee. They said it was Wynton's birthday or something. Miles stopped the show and threw Wynton off the stage.  Miles said, "Wynton can't play the kind of shit we were playing", and twice told Marsalis "Get the f*-k off."

Pierre Sprey, president of Mapleshade Records summed it up like this: "When Marsalis was nineteen, he was a fine jazz trumpeter...But he was getting his tail beat off every night in Art Blakey's band. I don't think he could keep up. And finally he retreated to safe waters. He's a good classical trumpeter and thus he sees jazz as being a classical music. He has no clue what's going on now."

neo

PS  In defense of Wynton, the man can play. I have a couple of Blakey albums with Wynton and he sounds great. I also like some of his stuff from the '80s. As to the rest, you can make up your own mind.

Blakey would have gotten rid of him in short fashion if he'd played for him like he does now! Blanchard makes Wynton sound like a genoius! I saw him once in a small venue and walked out in the middle of the third tune!
gary

jimdgoulding

« Reply #91 on: 12 May 2011, 01:53 am »

neo

Would one of those albums be Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers at Keystone 3 (Concord Jazz)?

jhm731

« Reply #92 on: 12 May 2011, 04:33 am »
Picked up Dave Douglas- Spark Of Being- 3 CD Box Set at Borders today for $8. 8)

http://www.greenleafmusic.com

jimdgoulding

« Reply #93 on: 12 May 2011, 05:45 am »
Don't have any albums where Terumasa Hino is the leader, at least I don't think I do, but on Joachim Kuhn's 1975 Hip Elegy (MPS), he is positively riippin it with boo-coo intensity and I do mean positively.  If it is possible for you to check it out online, check out the last track, First Frisco.  Tis the best example of what I'm tryin to communicate.  Cheers

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #94 on: 12 May 2011, 10:09 am »
Would one of those albums be Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers at Keystone 3 (Concord Jazz)?

Keystone 3 might be Wyntons  last recording date with the Messengers. That was in '82. It seems like it was sort of a reunion album or possibly an issue of previously recorded stuff at the same venue. Sometimes discographies aren't quite investigative enough to get every last detail. 

Around that time Blakey had limited recording deals with a number of different labels. Between '80 and '81 the band was basically Wynton, Billy Pierce, Bobby Watson, James Williams, Charles Fambrough. A couple of sessions during that time, Freddie Hubbard or Wallace Roney were on trumpet. There are maybe half a dozen albums with Wynton. Many were recorded in Europe and are rare. Valery Ponomarev made a number of albums with the Messengers previous to that.

Got some spare time?

http://www.jazzdisco.org/art-blakey/discography/

neo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #95 on: 12 May 2011, 02:07 pm »
I have one of those European albums with Wynton to which you refer, Live in Sweden, that was recorded by Kavi Alexander.  But, Keystone 3 is the better date to me in a large part because of Wynton's playing.  Everybody's, really.  It flies!  Also, have one with that Polish gentleman you mention and Bobby Watson on alto and David Schitter on tenor on a Philips DTD made in Tokyo.  James Williams, too.

Wow.  Just looked at that link.  I had no idea.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #96 on: 12 May 2011, 03:34 pm »
Don't have any albums where Terumasa Hino is the leader, at least I don't think I do, but on Joachim Kuhn's 1975 Hip Elegy (MPS), he is positively riippin it with boo-coo intensity and I do mean positively.  If it is possible for you to check it out online, check out the last track, First Frisco.  Tis the best example of what I'm tryin to communicate.  Cheers

Yo Jimbo,
You might have to hock your tweeters for this one. Check out the review near the bottom. The first one is by R. E McBride. The guy knows what he's talking about. I wonder if it's Chris.
http://www.amazon.com/May-Dance-Terumasa-Hino/dp/B000006M1R/ref=sr_1_9?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1305213303&sr=1-9

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_13?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=terumasa+hino&sprefix=terumasa+hino

neo

jimdgoulding

« Reply #97 on: 12 May 2011, 05:42 pm »
That looks most interesting, thanks, but the price is terrible.  I know it's one of those JVC XRCD disc's but that doesn't help my pain much.  I did, however, check out Joachim Kuhn while I was on Amazon and found a used live recording that looks promising for under $4.00 and popped that bad boy in my cart. 

You the man, Neo.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #98 on: 13 May 2011, 12:34 am »
Just picked up an interesting Donald Byrd album, has his septet backing a choir.

"A New Perspective".

It's not the sound of a top tier jazz trumpeter, but the overall groove is nice, a 'situational' album to be sure.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #99 on: 13 May 2011, 03:40 am »
Donald Byrd seemed to stretch out quite a bit. He was a very good player and played with most of the heavies. I don't think he still playing, although I don't know. In the '70s he got into the Blackbird thing and I kind of lost interest. He has a number of albums on Blue Note, most of which are good. My favorite is Byrd in Flight, with Jackie McLean, Hank Mobley, Duke Pearson, Reggie Workman and Lex Humphries. Doug Watkins is on some of it. 1960

This session just clicks. Maybe it was just one of those sessions. Other Donald albums of that era that I have or heard are usually good solid playing, but don't seem to have the magic of Flight. I avoided Perspective because of the voices. I think the other ones like Mustang or Royal Flush are worth getting. There are a lot of them I've never heard. If anybody knows of a real good one, please let us know.
neo