Rogue Audio's new $1295 Hypex integrated

jackman

Re: Rogue Audio's new $1295 Hypex integrated
« Reply #120 on: 2 Jun 2013, 06:14 pm »
Freo, your heels appear to be dug in so deep, I can't imagine you will ever accept Class D. I haven't heard the Rogue but I have a Hypex Ncore amp with a SAS tubed preamp and really like the combo.  I had Steve from SAS lower the gain on my preamp to 7dB and I'm liking the sound more than ever.  It is very quiet with exclent tonal accuracy and a detailed, smooth top end.  Instruments have "weight" and the overall presentation is musical and non-fatiguing.  The SAS 50wpc push-pull tube amps sounded better overall than the Ncore amp, but the cool running Class D design is very impressive. 

For the money, this Rogue integrated appears to be a very good value.  I look forward to hearing it in person and reading more reviews.

Cheers

Jack

Freo-1

« Reply #121 on: 2 Jun 2013, 06:24 pm »
Freo, your heels appear to be dug in so deep, I can't imagine you will ever accept Class D. I haven't heard the Rogue but I have a Hypex Ncore amp with a SAS tubed preamp and really like the combo.  I had Steve from SAS lower the gain on my preamp to 7dB and I'm liking the sound more than ever.  It is very quiet with exclent tonal accuracy and a detailed, smooth top end.  Instruments have "weight" and the overall presentation is musical and non-fatiguing.  The SAS 50wpc push-pull tube amps sounded better overall than the Ncore amp, but the cool running Class D design is very impressive. 

For the money, this Rogue integrated appears to be a very good value.  I look forward to hearing it in person and reading more reviews.

Cheers

Jack

I agree that this seems like it could be a good value for the money.  I've had a lot of Class D amps over the years, going all the way back to the Sony S-Master Pro series.  Each one initially grabs you, because it does present music differently.  Wound up selling each of them. 

I also agree that they are improving over time.  As stated, I am interested in sonic impressions with this one, as it does have both tubes and a linear power supply.   Trust me, at some point, it would make me happy to get high power for decent money, and Class D does have the potential to provide it.

My post earlier had strictly to do with the point/counterpoint of use of negative feedback.  Again, sorry if that point was missed.   A buddy will be dealing in these.   Perhaps I'll get one to audition it. 

jackman

« Reply #122 on: 2 Jun 2013, 06:38 pm »
Thanks, I look forward to your comments and hope you have a chance to audition the amp soon. 

Also, I commend Rogue's decision to use the Hypex  technology in an original design and offering it in a modest enclosure at a reasonable price. 

Too many "cake decorators" out there slapping off the shelf Hypex (okay these are Ncore modules which are technically different) modules in fancy CNCd cases and selling them for five figures.   At least Rogue's product is unique and appears to be a good value.

Freo-1

« Reply #123 on: 2 Jun 2013, 06:48 pm »
No worries, will do! 
Currently auditioning a Yamaha A-S2000 integrated, so would like to be able to compare the two.   The Yamaha is really nice, definitely a high end piece (which should not really be all that surprising).   

cab

« Reply #124 on: 2 Jun 2013, 07:49 pm »
Cab - why the anger?  Bunky's comments are very appropriate for this thread.  The Rogue uses a Hypex amp module  it's not NCore but I believe the amp has some Ncore technology. 

Bunky's experience with tube amps provides some interesting and valuable perspective.  I hope you continue to contribute to this site and share your experiences.

As I said, if the product is made with Hypex modules, then I apologize.....my mistake.....sorry....

Jackman, email me if you have time. kuribo at tds dot net

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #125 on: 2 Jun 2013, 08:36 pm »
Yes.  I am interested to find out impressions with a tubed front end and a linear power supply.  Both seem like they would help improve the sound.

What makes you think that? I can see tubes adding a bit of low-order harmonic distortion that a lot people find pleasant and "musical", but I am not sure what the benefit of a linear power supply would add.

Freo-1

« Reply #126 on: 2 Jun 2013, 09:03 pm »
What makes you think that? I can see tubes adding a bit of low-order harmonic distortion that a lot people find pleasant and "musical", but I am not sure what the benefit of a linear power supply would add.

For audio, numerous.  Low to no ripple is the single most obvious.  Check this out for a balanced set of arguments:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/ad0f282819902a1986256f79005462b1/7438e77138bddf1b86256f660008e9cc/$FILE/linear_versus_switching.pdf

jackman

« Reply #127 on: 2 Jun 2013, 09:56 pm »
As I said, if the product is made with Hypex modules, then I apologize.....my mistake.....sorry....

Jackman, email me if you have time. kuribo at tds dot net

Hi Cab - message sent. 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #128 on: 2 Jun 2013, 11:50 pm »
I did send Mark at Rogue an email with this thread link.  Maybe he'll comment on it.  If not, maybe he'll allow me to re-post what he emails to me. 

Julf

« Reply #129 on: 3 Jun 2013, 06:43 am »

For audio, numerous.  Low to no ripple is the single most obvious.  Check this out for a balanced set of arguments:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/ad0f282819902a1986256f79005462b1/7438e77138bddf1b86256f660008e9cc/$FILE/linear_versus_switching.pdf

So are you looking at a regulated linear supply (that is what that document is talking about), or just the usual transformer-rectifier-large caps-style supply? Two very different animals. A linear shunt regulator for a 600W power supply will be very inefficient and produce an impressive amount of heat.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #130 on: 3 Jun 2013, 07:10 pm »
From Rogue:

We use the OEM modules that do have some of the NCore parts. They are not the same as the NCore modules that they sell to the DIY community.

Freo-1

« Reply #131 on: 3 Jun 2013, 08:22 pm »
From the Rogue website regarding the power supply: 

" A high capacity linear power supply provides tremendous energy storage to recreate the deepest bass passages while various regulated power supply stages provide ultra smooth sound in the midrange and treble."

This unit does look interesting, and will be keen to hear feedback/observations with it.  If I do get my hands on one for evaluation, will compare it to a Yamaha A-S2000.  I reckon both units should be able to provide satisfying musical performance. 

KLH007

« Reply #132 on: 5 Jun 2013, 01:12 am »
I own six tube amps including two Class A SET amps a pair of 100 wpc monoblocks and a 90 wpc tube integrated and I am very much a tube guy. the Sphinx is not lush nor does it sound strident. with my full range speakers in my system the Sphinx sounds very musical and it does respond well to tube rolling.

Bunky, Now that you've had some hours on the Sphinx, are you still enamored? If you can play music, be drawn in to the emotion, and relax, then the Sphinx is a winner in my opinion. I will try to get a loaner to try on my Legacy Focus speakers.

bunky

« Reply #133 on: 5 Jun 2013, 11:33 pm »
Bunky, Now that you've had some hours on the Sphinx, are you still enamored? If you can play music, be drawn in to the emotion, and relax, then the Sphinx is a winner in my opinion. I will try to get a loaner to try on my Legacy Focus speakers.
I have had the Sphinx in my rig for a month and the fact that it is still in my rack is a testament as to how good it sounds. It works really well with the Psvane 12AU7-T in the preamp section. not only does the Sphinx sound excellent for the money it just sounds excellent period. :thumb:

KLH007

« Reply #134 on: 6 Jun 2013, 03:52 am »
Bunky, Thanks for your reply. It is a real testament to the Sphinx to survive in your system with all the full tube alternatives you have available. Also nice to hear you are enjoying listening to music, as well as it being a great value. The Sphinx must not do much additive wrong, which is how most gear I listen to gets the boot, some parameters great- but adds something that is annoying long term that is too much? Cymbals sound real, voices natural with air , bass dynamic and quick, recording venue revealed, spacious and layered depth when on source, pulled into the music and moved by the musicians emotions?

OzarkTom

« Reply #135 on: 20 Jun 2013, 11:06 am »
First you trash class d, then you gush about the Millenium class d, now it's back to trashing them. Your credibility on the issue is clearly compromised.

Please do share one tube amp with actual measured audio performance superior to the ncore class d from Hypex. Not interested in any meaningless subjective comments.

There are two Ncore owners on the present Millenia tour that preferred the midrange of the TBI to their Ncores. I guess their credibility is also questionable?

cab

« Reply #136 on: 20 Jun 2013, 12:35 pm »
You missed the point.

Julf

« Reply #137 on: 20 Jun 2013, 01:04 pm »
There are two Ncore owners on the present Millenia tour that preferred the midrange of the TBI to their Ncores. I guess their credibility is also questionable?

I guess the key word here is "preferred", implying a preference. The fact that someone prefers or likes A more than B does in no way imply that A is better than B in absolute, objective terms.

KLH007

« Reply #138 on: 30 Jun 2013, 09:49 pm »
Calling Bunky, Too busy listening to reply to the blog?
Bunky, Thanks for your reply. It is a real testament to the Sphinx to survive in your system with all the full tube alternatives you have available. Also nice to hear you are enjoying listening to music, as well as it being a great value. The Sphinx must not do much additive wrong, which is how most gear I listen to gets the boot, some parameters great- but adds something that is annoying long term that is too much? Cymbals sound real, voices natural with air , bass dynamic and quick, recording venue revealed, spacious and layered depth when on source, pulled into the music and moved by the musicians emotions?

barrows

• Industry Participant
« Reply #139 on: 30 Jun 2013, 10:37 pm »
Different amplifiers do sound different, but is incorrect to assume there is a "class D sound".  There are many class D amplifiers now, and they all sound different, just as a 5W SET sounds very different from Audio Research Reference series amps.  Generalizing about the sound of a class D amplifier these days is a big mistake, and anyone who does it is likely to be wrong.
Additionally, equating the potential effects of global feedback on a class D circuit, with the effects it may have on class A and A/B circuits is another mistake; my understanding is that the feedback loops in a class D amplifier operate in an entirely different way than they do with class A and A/B amplifiers.  So suggesting that feedback is a problem for class D, because it is a problem for conventional amps, is a non-starter for me.
I would recommend listening to the amps in question before speculating about how they sound.