Rogue Audio's new $1295 Hypex integrated

Freo-1

Re: Rogue Audio's new $1295 Hypex integrated
« Reply #100 on: 2 Jun 2013, 12:59 pm »
I read through the first 20 pages or so of that link.  I don't see any information there at all.  I see graphs with no keys and reprints of basic op amp circuits and the rest just sounds like an infomercial.  It's as if this is the slide show to accompany a full lecture, but we don't have the lecture.  Should I scroll down more or is the rest just a waste of more time?

The concept of 'use a ton of NF to make the amp work properly' sounds to me a bit like a speaker designer stating 'use a lot of graphic equalization with my speakers in order to get an acceptably flat frequency response.'  Maybe I'm not getting the whole picture here but it sounds like NF is the only bandage holding the whole circuit together.  Is this good engineering?    :dunno:

I agree.   I still find Class D amps lacking in some critical sonic aspects.   I think at least some of it has to do with feedback.

You either like them or do not like them.  Most audiophiles I know who are tube enthusiasts in general don't care for them.   No amount of finger pointing or hand wringing is going to change that.  It's a bit like the vinyl vs. hi-res, tubes vs. solid state debates, etc.  This subject will continue to be debated ad-nauseam .  Celebrate the differences.

BTW, here is Nelson's article on feedback: 

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_dist_fdbk.pdf

As one can see, Nelson holds a different view on the subject.  I am more in Nelson's camp on this issue.  The cynic in me thinks the manufactures are pushing class D more for their profit margins over actual audio performance.   :lol:
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2013, 03:51 pm by Freo-1 »

cab

« Reply #101 on: 2 Jun 2013, 01:07 pm »

The cynic in me thinks the manufactures are pushing class D more for their profit margins over actual audio performance.   :lol:

First you trash class d, then you gush about the Millenium class d, now it's back to trashing them. Your credibility on the issue is clearly compromised.

Please do share one tube amp with actual measured audio performance superior to the ncore class d from Hypex. Not interested in any meaningless subjective comments.

cab

« Reply #102 on: 2 Jun 2013, 01:23 pm »
Am I the only one wondering why you continue to post in the Hypex forum if you are not a fan of class d? I don't see people hanging around tube forums bashing tubes....Seems like troll behavior and reminds me of some one else who is no longer here...

Freo-1

« Reply #103 on: 2 Jun 2013, 02:33 pm »
Music reproduction is a complex waveform, not individual frequencies for representation on graphs.  The measurements provided by reviewers do not tell the entire story.  They certainly do NOT tell anyone how it will actually sound.  The most accurate method to measure musical performance is by using a spectrum analyzer, and comparing the outputs.   There is a lot more going on with impedance loading and phase/angle into a speaker load that measurements of individual frequencies into a resistor does not adequately capture. 
The TBI amp is a nice entry level low wattage amp.  Let's not get carried away.  The earlier post was in reference to the slide show discussed. 

Davey

« Reply #104 on: 2 Jun 2013, 02:51 pm »
Freo,

I don't think most folks appreciate being called Kool-Aid drinkers.  If an objective in this hobby is to "celebrate the differences" then comments like yours are inappropriate, at best.

Cheers,

Dave.

cab

« Reply #105 on: 2 Jun 2013, 02:51 pm »
Great, now why don't you read the heading for this forum:

"For owners and builders of Hypex products, including but not limited to NCore and UCD amplifier modules."

Why do you continue come to this forum and spread your tube gospel? Continuing to trash class d in a class d forum is bad form. Most would call it trolling. One would expect better behavior from Volunteers. Be a gentleman and spread the gospel somewhere else.

bunky

« Reply #106 on: 2 Jun 2013, 02:53 pm »
I own six tube amps including two Class A SET amps a pair of 100 wpc monoblocks and a 90 wpc tube integrated and I am very much a tube guy. the Sphinx is not lush nor does it sound strident. with my full range speakers in my system the Sphinx sounds very musical and it does respond well to tube rolling.

Freo-1

« Reply #107 on: 2 Jun 2013, 02:54 pm »

Yes, Davey, you are correct.  Sorry if anyone is offended.   Post edited to remove that comment.

The post was intended to be in reference to the slide show discussed, period.  (Specifically on feedback). 
« Last Edit: 2 Jun 2013, 03:56 pm by Freo-1 »

bunky

« Reply #108 on: 2 Jun 2013, 03:04 pm »
How about a pic of it on the rack?
I will put up a picture of my rack when one of my daughters shows up with a digital camera  :lol:

cab

« Reply #109 on: 2 Jun 2013, 03:19 pm »
I own six tube amps including two Class A SET amps a pair of 100 wpc monoblocks and a 90 wpc tube integrated and I am very much a tube guy. the Sphinx is not lush nor does it sound strident. with my full range speakers in my system the Sphinx sounds very musical and it does respond well to tube rolling.

What does this have to do with "For owners and builders of Hypex products, including but not limited to NCore and UCD amplifier modules."???

I don't understand all the off topic posts here...It's a forum for Hypex products....Mods?

AJinFLA

• Industry Participant
  • Soundfield Audio Loudspeakers
    • Soundfield Audio
« Reply #110 on: 2 Jun 2013, 03:28 pm »
A not unreasonably priced US manufactured product, that should sufficiently drive a decent variety of loads. Cool.
I guess my only quibble is the fact that the tubes aren't visible (like with my Yaqin VK2100), which tends to have a profound impact on the sound, for some.

cheers,

AJ

Freo-1

« Reply #111 on: 2 Jun 2013, 03:43 pm »
I do like the idea of a tube front end and linear power supply with this unit. 

bunky

« Reply #112 on: 2 Jun 2013, 03:46 pm »
What does this have to do with "For owners and builders of Hypex products, including but not limited to NCore and UCD amplifier modules."???

I don't understand all the off topic posts here...It's a forum for Hypex products....Mods?
Are you restricted because of your sparkling personality? I think not  :nono: the Sphinx has tubes and it uses Hypex modules and I own it and I will comment any way I wish. you cant restrict the flow of ideas because it does not sit well with your beliefs  :duh:

bunky

« Reply #113 on: 2 Jun 2013, 03:48 pm »
A not unreasonably priced US manufactured product, that should sufficiently drive a decent variety of loads. Cool.
I guess my only quibble is the fact that the tubes aren't visible (like with my Yaqin VK2100), which tends to have a profound impact on the sound, for some.

cheers,

AJ
I can see the tubes thru the vent in the top  :thumb:

cab

« Reply #114 on: 2 Jun 2013, 04:27 pm »
Are you restricted because of your sparkling personality? I think not  :nono: the Sphinx has tubes and it uses Hypex modules and I own it and I will comment any way I wish. you cant restrict the flow of ideas because it does not sit well with your beliefs  :duh:

If it is indeed a Hypex based product, then I apologize.

I hardly think requesting people stick to the topic of this forum is restricting the "flow of ideas". It's called proper etiquette.

sts9fan

« Reply #115 on: 2 Jun 2013, 05:04 pm »
No if. It's IS Hypex based.
All you do is attack others. Isn't that off topic?

cab

« Reply #116 on: 2 Jun 2013, 05:16 pm »
No if. It's IS Hypex based.
All you do is attack others. Isn't that off topic?

Did I come here calling people "kool aid drinkers" and put down class d? No.

Is it too much to ask of people to keep the anti-class d talk somewhere more appropriate?

Is it too much to ask that people stay on the topic intended for this forum?

bunky

« Reply #117 on: 2 Jun 2013, 05:38 pm »
If it is indeed a Hypex based product, then I apologize.

I hardly think requesting people stick to the topic of this forum is restricting the "flow of ideas". It's called proper etiquette.

did you look at the heading of this thread that you are posting on ? because if you did you might have a clue  :scratch:

jackman

« Reply #118 on: 2 Jun 2013, 05:46 pm »
Cab - why the anger?  Bunky's comments are very appropriate for this thread.  The Rogue uses a Hypex amp module  it's not NCore but I believe the amp has some Ncore technology. 

Bunky's experience with tube amps provides some interesting and valuable perspective.  I hope you continue to contribute to this site and share your experiences.

Freo-1

« Reply #119 on: 2 Jun 2013, 05:53 pm »

Bunky's experience with tube amps provides some interesting and valuable perspective.  I hope you continue to contribute to this site and share your experiences.
Yes.  I am interested to find out impressions with a tubed front end and a linear power supply.  Both seem like they would help improve the sound.