Rejoining the Odyssey Family

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Rejoining the Odyssey Family
« on: 20 Jul 2021, 10:22 pm »
Just picked up a pair of gently used Kismet monoblocks in Khartago cases, and I am super stoked to be rejoining the Odyssey family!  I had an early version of the Stratos about 15 years ago and I loved it.  Can't wait to hear how much the Kismet has improved on the Stratos design.  I've always loved the Odyssey house sound, which is probably why they are always in the top 5 rooms at RMAF every year that I do show coverage. 

They'll be here Friday, I'll be hooking them up to my Klipsch Forte III's that were hotrodded by me and Danny at GR Research.  For a few weeks, until the new Spatial Audio X3's arrive.  Man it's a great time to be an audiophile!!   :thumb:

geerock

Re: Rejoining the Odyssey Family
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2021, 01:51 am »
I sometimes run my X5's with a pair of Kismet in Stratos monos.  Tube DAC and Don Sachs all in tube pre. 

Chewbacca

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2021, 01:55 am »
Awesome man! Welcome back to the fam! :thumb:

I’m really curious to see your opinion of them compared to all the tube amps you’ve have experience with… From what I’ve read, a lot of people compare them sonically to tube amps.

When you get them you’ll have to open up the hood of the bad boys and show us what’s inside! They’re all a little different :green:

Im super pumped to send mine to Klaus in a few weeks for some updates/upgrades! :thumb:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #3 on: 21 Jul 2021, 02:00 pm »
Just picked up a pair of gently used Kismet monoblocks in Khartago cases, and I am super stoked to be rejoining the Odyssey family!  I had an early version of the Stratos about 15 years ago and I loved it.  Can't wait to hear how much the Kismet has improved on the Stratos design.  I've always loved the Odyssey house sound, which is probably why they are always in the top 5 rooms at RMAF every year that I do show coverage. 

They'll be here Friday, I'll be hooking them up to my Klipsch Forte III's that were hotrodded by me and Danny at GR Research.  For a few weeks, until the new Spatial Audio X3's arrive.  Man it's a great time to be an audiophile!!   :thumb:
Welcome back!

Any chance you’ll hook them up to your Super 7’s and do a comparison?

Tyson

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jul 2021, 03:23 pm »
Of course there will be comparisons all around!

Chewbacca

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2021, 03:34 pm »
Also - Congrats on the X3's! I'm really looking forward to the comparison between those and the Super 7's!

Are you planning on replacing the Klipsch's? Or a third system? I sure assume your Super 7's are staying...

Tyson

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jul 2021, 08:56 pm »
Thanks!  Yep, the Forte's are probably going to be sold.  They are great speakers and I absolutely love them.  But I think OB speakers have ruined me for life.  When I heard the X2's over at Steven Stone's place a few weeks ago and I heard what that tweeter could do in an OB speaker, the X3's were an easy choice. 

Chewbacca

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2021, 10:21 pm »
Awesome man. I'm quite excited for me being ruined by OB speakers myself! :lol: Few more weeks! Keep us updated!

I'd just do a quick bias check on the amps before you give them a good listen. I'm sure you know a lot of people tailor their Odyssey amps bias to their input voltage for "guaranteed" neutrality. Or make it a bit higher for a more robust, rounded of, "tubey" sound. A bit lower for a more analytical, leaner and darker approach.

I find this really quite handy when changing out other components, if said component adds too much warmth to what I like, or too much high treble etc. you can compensate (to a degree) with the amps bias. Really makes them some seriously versatile amps... But you need to keep this in mind when taking these amps to a friends house who has different voltage coming out of his wall! It's not like it's going to sound terrible... but IMO adjusting this will take that 95% to 99% :green:

If I remember correctly, I'm at about 21.5mv. Neutral being 21. "Tubey" sound around 24. Analytical sound around 18.

Here's a thread on it: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=145802.80

See post #87 for the best explanation.

Honestly, I think a lot of people who heard Odyssey amps in their system and quickly disregarded them didn't even realize this... The bias could have been on the WAY far end of what their system calls for. Klaus literally has you check the voltage out of the outlets your amp will be plugged into for a week before he sends them to you! He averages out the output of your outlet from the weeks readings, and compensates the bias to ensure they're completely neutral coming to you. First class customer service!!!!! :thumb: I'm not sure if you know him personally or not, but he gives amazing support to his customers who bought his items second hand. Don't be afraid to call him just because you bought your amps used!

Tyson

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2021, 02:42 am »
Oh yeah Klaus is a friend from way back.  I hope he goes to RMAF this year so we can actually catch up in person.  Last year was cancelled due to Covid and the year before that I was still sort of reeling from my divorce so I didn't have much emotional bandwidth to really connect with anyone.  But this year I'm back baby! :)

Pez

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2021, 03:06 am »
Good thing you're going to RMAF, you'll have to grovel at his feet and beg before he'll let you back into the fold.

:notworthy:

Tyson

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2021, 03:21 am »
I also hear there's some crazy guy debuting some new cables at RMAF this year....